Submarine [Sundance '11]

Started by modage, September 14, 2010, 11:58:34 AM

pete

well anything's gonna sound bad with "dramedy" in the equation.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

diggler

Richard Ayoade directed last night's episode of Community.  It was an homage to My Dinner With Andre of all things. I've never seen the It Crowd before but I keep noticing it on Netflix. Is it worth getting into?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

squints

Quote from: brockly on September 15, 2010, 10:12:02 PM
Quote from: squints on September 15, 2010, 12:01:14 PM
seriously the first season blows..i struggled through it because i knew matt berry showed up eventually...you should check out the middle of season 2 and all of season 3..it gets pretty funny. not darkplace good but pretty silly and fun.

will do, thanks for the tip.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

loved it.
THAT's how you make a quirky film where the girl kisses first.

don't buy the trailer, there's actually a lot more heavy stuff in the film past the first act.
and it kinda kicks all the post-Wes Anderson American indie quirky comedies in the balls, even the more serious ones like Thumbsucker and the Squid and the Whale.

while the subject of coming of age drama centering 'round a precocious kid who overthinks everything is Wes Anderson-esque, I actually think the filmmaking resembles Reprise or Amelie or Run Lola Run more than anything else - the Europeans really have that editing through comedy shit down pat. The craftsmanship is much sharper than any of the American indies that I'm sure critics will be comparing it to.

Or maybe I'm out of touch. Who Let the Dogs Out.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mogwai

Also loved this one. God bless Netflix! Noah Taylor is brilliant in this. I'm not really a big fan of Arctic Monkeys but Alex Turner's songs suited the movie.

(Yasmin Paige's character looks almost like a girl I dated.)