Super 8

Started by MacGuffin, May 04, 2010, 10:19:14 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on June 08, 2011, 08:35:06 PM
I can't tell when knives are being yielded. I'm a blind man in an alley.

Yea, but even if you get stomped on, it's just an internet forum. It doesn't mean anything.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

I'm getting fucking stomped? I'm being Barry Eganed? Lame.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," BolaƱo says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on June 08, 2011, 08:54:28 PM
I'm getting fucking stomped? I'm being Barry Eganed? Lame.

"If" you ever do, and if you hang around long enough, it will happen.

Stefen

Yeah, everyone who spends enough time here eventually takes their ball and goes home and vows "never to come back again!"

Every single main poster on this site has taken an extended break of some sort.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

It looks fun. The review was fun to read, though.

polkablues

I love Filmdrunk, but there are a lot of movies that I disagree with Vince on.  Atonement was good, damn it!
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

Quote from: polkablues on June 09, 2011, 12:25:21 AM
I love Filmdrunk, but there are a lot of movies that I disagree with Vince on.  Atonement was good, damn it!

atonement was pretty terrible
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Oh shit, sorry. My mistake.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

This thread taking off with whatever before we have even seen the movie reminds me of the old days of xixax.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

yeah i love filmdrunk too but vince's reasons for disliking things can often be as snobby as the snobs he crusades against. or just random/part of a made-up narrative. he didn't like 127 hours because [i forgot cause it made so little sense.. google.. ah yes,] he thought danny boyle was "seeking approval" by making it.

having said that, i did find the children in this movie mostly annoying from the extended clip i saw the other day, and i know it's damn near impossible to get great performances from children, let alone a child ensemble. but my hopes remain pretty high.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pete on June 09, 2011, 02:00:59 AM
Quote from: polkablues on June 09, 2011, 12:25:21 AM

atonement was pretty terrible

I remember your complaints. I thought you read the film wrong.

RegularKarate

I've lowered my expectations of this film based on what I've read (not including "film drunk" or whatever because I can't read that unfunny comedic copycat garbage), but I'm still very interested in it.

I think we need to take credit away from Abrams though.  He needs a failure so he can chill out on the lens flares and find better screenplays.  He's got some talent for damn sure, he just needs to breathe and rethink his approach then he could really be great.

pete

I'm going to see tomorrow night. it's looking more and more like the movie Super 8 wants to be.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cinemanarchist

Quote from: pete on June 09, 2011, 02:19:01 PM
I'm going to see tomorrow night. it's looking more and more like the movie Super 8 wants to be.

If Super 8 wanted to be set in a world where black people existed.
My assholeness knows no bounds.