War Horse

Started by MacGuffin, May 03, 2010, 09:11:38 PM

MacGuffin

Teaser Trailer (in English)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

J.J. Abrams is shitting his pants.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pozer

looks very Spielbergy.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

He's gay for the horse?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

I can't wait to see this when it shows up on the Hallmark Channel in a year and a half.
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Just Withnail

I'd watch War Whores. I'd maybe even watch War Hoarse. The only redeeming thing about that trailer is when they repeat the dude saying "be brave" and it suddenly just sounds like a silly derpy-derp sound.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

This looks like it could be a GREAT family movie in the vein of "Black Beauty" or any other film that uses cinematography that fits its story scope as well as they do in this trailer

BUT

I hate that there's this romanticism about horses when they're really just dumb dead-eyed poop machines that we had to ride around on before cars.  If you think cars are bad for the environment try sidestepping a horse-apple every 10 minutes in your colonial town.  THEN try bonding with a Horse only to have it freak out over an opossum & stomp your throat in accidentally.
  I like how horses are seen in movies, kind of like big dogs that you can trust, but I don't feel that way in real life.

Pubrick

i don't feel that way about horses either but i also don't have any affinity to dogs. so..

basically we have to believe that horses DO have the potential to be more than man's best friend, as this film suggests, they can be man's saviour. not in a way that Lassie might lead you to a person in danger but in a more concrete way that they are NOT just something we used as cars, but a living thing that we depended on to get us to the point we are now as a civilization. though now the role of a horse has been relegated in significance to the realm of gambling.

there is a lot more mythology and archetypal signficance to a horse than a dog, as i alluded to by referring to the trojan horse. even as a loved domesticated animal, the horse holds a special place as it now divides class systems in a way that a dog does not. any old idiot can have a dog, but you have to be either rich or stuck in the ancient past (ie. be some kind of backward brokeback farmer) to associate with horses.

i still believe in this movie.
under the paving stones.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Pubrick on October 06, 2011, 09:50:38 AM

i still believe in this movie.

oh yeah, I totally do too.  Like I said, it will probably make a great movie.  The use of an animal like the horse and it's natural grace and speed has lots of power on film.  I look forward to and will more than likely enjoy this movie.

wilder

Steven Spielberg Says Film Processing Labs Could Be Gone In 10 Years
via The Playlist

Steven Spielberg seemingly might be following in the steps of his old guard peers -- James Cameron, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott – veteran filmmakers jumping headfirst into 3D and new technologies. After all, his upcoming adventure film "Tintin" is his first digitally shot motion-capture film in 3D, and it's employing state of the art technology all around.

And while Spielberg seems happy to experiment with these new tools, during a recent sneak preview screening of his latest live-action film, "War Horse," in New York this past weekend, the 64-year-old director called himself decidedly "old school" and lamented the vanishing of the classical ways of filmmaking. While a 6-minute video recap of the conversation is below, the Q&A hosted by writer Mark Harris went on for almost an hour.

One thing's certain: Spielberg wants to keep shooting on 35-millimeter film, even if he's acutely aware that burgeoning digital technology may make the medium extinct in the near future.

"I'm still shooting on celluloid; I'm still shooting on 35mm film," he said. "I love film and I'm not planning any time soon to convert to the Red Camera [or] to shoot a digital movie. I guess my first digital movie was 'Tintin' because 'Tintin' has no film step. There is no intermediate film step. It's 100% digital animation but as far as far as a live-action film, I'm still planning to shoot everything on film. I guess when the last lab goes out of business, we'll all be forced to shoot digitally and that could be in eight-to-ten years. It's possible in ten years' time there will be no labs processing celluloid."

While some see the film as influenced by John Ford, Spielberg says that's just one small piece of the visual puzzle, and said the film contained no direct homages to Ford.

"I just shot with wide lenses and that's not something that's shot today. And some people who see 'War Horse' think it looks old fashioned because I shot it the way a lot of the directors from the '30s and '40s shot their movies: by giving the audience the respect of being editors."

Spielberg said if he chose to shoot wide enough and put seven characters in the shot, audiences could choose to concentrate on who they wanted to. "That was a philosophy that was used for 75 years of filmmaking and then with television everything got [small], and we lost the ability to shoot wide. So it's old fashioned in that sense, because I just opened up the screen and made it larger."

With that widescreen shooting in mind, asked if he would prefer that audiences saw the movie in a theater over DVD or some small-screen technology, Spielberg vehemently agreed. "Yes! I would love that," he exclaimed. "Please see it in a movie theater. We made it for you that way."

Keeping with the idea of old school cinema, when asked what kind of genres of films he still hopes to make, Spielberg did not hesitate. "I would love to do a musical. I would love that," he said enthusiastically, noting he currently had no specific musical in mind, but it's on his wishlist of genres to tackle. "I would have to find the right book, the right story, but some day I'm going to make one. I would really like to go off and direct a musical. That's what I would really like to do when I grow up."

While "proper" reviews haven't quite hit yet, there's been enough written about "War Horse" to glean that some are calling it a surefire Oscar contender while others are describing it as heavy treacle (which still probably still makes it a big contender). Divisive, potentially? Sounds like it, but a "serious" Steven Spielberg picture is always something to at least take notice of.

Short video interview with Spielberg after the link