The Other Guys

Started by MacGuffin, April 09, 2010, 12:29:01 PM

JG

liked it! the good parts are very good, and made me think this movie could be something more than it is, but i'll take what i can get.. expectations were low. also, thought mark wahlberg was good, mostly with the eva mendes stuff.

RegularKarate

It was worth a few laughs.  Probably the dullest McKay film yet.  Gets really boring toward the end.

It was great to see so many UCB people (and McManus), but I would have liked to see more improv from them.  With the exception of Brett Gelman, I think everyone just kind of did the one line they were given.
It wasn't improv-y enough to be really funny and it wasn't by-the-book enough to be super coherent.

McGruber was better.

Pubrick

so.. not enough yelling?
under the paving stones.

modage

This was TERRIBLE and should be avoided at all costs.  

DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM even by accident.  

I needed the above warning and I'm a little upset no one could give it to me before strolling into see this last night.  I'm okay with stupid comedies as long as they're done somewhat smart.  Macgruber was enjoyable and funny, two things this was not.  I can't imagine the lack of care you would have to put into this film to waste nearly two hours to produce roughly 3 funny scenes (2 of which are in the trailer).  Whatever loose atmosphere and endless improving that helped make Anchorman a classic is no longer working.  Every scene of this film involves every actor in the frame shouting their dialogue in hopes that something funny comes rolling out.  It's usually nonsense, it mostly doesn't work.  It is not, however, the actors fault.  It's McKays.  He should have known when to reign in and when to let loose and he shows a complete disregard for this.  Adam McKay has slid entirely too far since Anchorman and needs to be stopped.  His filmmaking license should be REVOKED until such a time he can look at what an indulgent mess this is and apologize to any discerning viewer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

I enjoyed this.  much more than the Todd Phillips comedies.  The only problem I had was that every scene was a skit, which was fine in the beginning, but after 75 minutes and you're still watching a scene that requires setting up the premise (when in a "proper" comedy, it should be joke time where the pace really picks up and all the set ups are paying off) you kinda get restless.  but the jokes are all fine.  I think they're all pretty funny.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

Quote from: modage on August 29, 2010, 07:08:31 PM
This was TERRIBLE and should be avoided at all costs. 

DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM even by accident. 

I needed the above warning and I'm a little upset no one could give it to me before strolling into see this last night.

tried to but classically it got lost at the bottom of the previous page.

Quote from: Pozer on August 08, 2010, 11:55:29 AM
this movie is butt mud.

i dont get why so many enjoyed this dingleberry.

RegularKarate

Because funny is subjective.

This movie has split everyone.  I'm in the middle.

modage

Regardless of it's funniness, it is terrible, lazy storytelling.  On top of that, it's not very funny.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

This was pretty bad. The entire movie is a series of aimless, uninspired riffs. The best part of the movie (and one of the few things that felt thought out) was the ridiculous duo of Samuel L. Jackson and The Rock. These two characters should be in their own movie. The two main characters are poorly defined. They switch from smart to stupid whenever its convenient for whatever scene is happening at the time. Is THIS what McKay-Ferrell make when Apatow isn't involved?

Also, a buddy cop movie? Who gives a fuck?

polkablues

It wasn't very good, but I laughed frequently. Angry Mark Walhberg is always funny, even in dramas, and Michael Keaton stole every scene he showed up in. All in all, I give it a W, for "Way better than Stepbrothers."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: polkablues on May 21, 2011, 11:00:08 AM
All in all, I give it a W, for "Way better than Stepbrothers."

That's pushing it, it was waaaaaaay better than Cop Out, though. If that's saying anything.

socketlevel

I liked stepbrothers on the whole more but "you thinking what i'm thinking?", "aim for the bushes." was a pretty classic moment.
the one last hit that spent you...

SiliasRuby

Ehhhh.... 85% bad 15% okay...

but mostly bad
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

The worst part to me about Step Brothers and The Good Guys was Will Ferrell.  :shock: I just don't find the dude funny. He's annoying to me.

John C. Reilly and Mark Wahlberg made both those films funny. Especially Wahlberg, who played the caricature of himself perfectly. I loved how he's always yelling and a millisecond from flying off the handle.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.