Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Started by modage, March 25, 2010, 11:15:57 AM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

This is going to be so awesome. Have Ann and George Michael been reunited?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

That does look pretty righteous.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Gamblour.

Edgar Wright may be my favorite director working today. This looks EXCELLENT. (Reminds me a lot of Speed Racer, which I really loved and really adapted that hysteric, rapid anime/cartoon feel well) Can't wait.
WWPTAD?

pete

both this film and kickass were choreographed by Brad Allan - Jackie Chan's first white protege.  The little dude can move.  Here's his debut in a Jackie Chan instructional video:

and he went on to do some pretty cool stuff with Hellboy 2 and Peter Pan.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

I may have watched this trailer about 100 times. It captures the GN so great. Edgar Wright is one of the most exciting visual directors working today. I'm counting down the days.

Kellen

so psyched for this flick. found this frame by frame video pretty cool.

Gold Trumpet

There is a teeter totter effect with these movies. It could easily balance itself to be overkill or be the right mix of all the elements, but the pitch is going to have to be perfect to work for me.

matt35mm

You're not wrong, but I've got high hopes.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

best thing about this movie is that it's proudly set in Toronto. i hope it breaks ground so you yanks can appreciate our country! not only that but i hope it begins a nice snowball of well made canadian films, because sadly the stereotype is often true, we make crap cinema (with obvious exceptions to this rule)
the one last hit that spent you...

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

THEORIES

Everything I've seen of this film looks excellent so far, and sure, I'm a fan of the comic, but a lot of what the actors do with their faces and inflections is something that can't be expressed in static form. So Good.

I would like to hope they are all channeling Jessica Stevenson, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, at least in that ^ regard.

Just finished reading the last book, which has a great ending, which is reportedly different in the movie.  My Senses say that this movie will tank BUT word-of-mouth will bring it to form.  It's got more push behind it than the need for a Speed Racer movie, but MANY people I know liked that film, just waaaaay after it was in theaters.

I HOPE it does not tank, yet fear that it will. Ah well, it seems well-liked by SOME masses at least.

RegularKarate

So I saw this last week.

It's definitely hilarious and creative and I'll probably see it a few more times.  I really liked it.

That said, I was a tad disappointed.  I bought the hype and expected too much, I guess.
When something is this crazy and hyperactive (a lot like Speed Racer, which I LOVED), you lose some of the depth.  This was no exception.  Unlike Shaun or Hot Fuzz, the heart feels forced.

Still definitely worth seeing.  I laughed a lot and really enjoyed myself.

matt35mm

You must've seen this in NYC, because if you had seen it in Austin and didn't invite me, I wouldn't even be talking to you right now.