She's Out of My League

Started by MacGuffin, March 12, 2010, 05:19:56 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Reelist on June 12, 2010, 04:28:58 AM
Quote from: Pas on June 10, 2010, 01:47:03 PM
Just finished subtitling this one...

is that something you do for a living or your damn self?

it's his job. he's Québécois. relax.
under the paving stones.

Reel

What do you think of subtitling another one of these Hollywood movies with a Canadian lead, would you rather it be the other way around, that were squinting to read the translations of your Quebecanese jokes? I mean Canada seems to have some very capable filmmakers but we seem to take all your comedic stars away  :yabbse-undecided:

Pas

Yeah, the english canada side is pretty fucked. Canadian actors/comics/singers are better off going south for their wallet and their personal career. Even that Justin Bieber kid is canadian. But without the language barrier, why wouldn't they. It's really understandable.

But frankly, I don't give a shit because I hardly find these people to be from my country really. Well, I guess we are proud of them etc, but in Quebec we care 99.9% for Quebec and 0.01% for Canada. Our french stars (french-canadian) actors/comics/directors often work in France but they mostly stay here. We have our own star-system.

Jay Baruchel though is a great exception. He really seem to care about english-Quebec and he just did The Trotsky in Montreal, and he's doing Notre Dame de Grace next year that talks about the 1995 Referendum (failed separation of Quebec 50.1% to 49.9% (not kidding)). He does these movies with french-canadians and at last we get to have an accent. (Normally they do movies here, have some quebecers in the cast for tax reasons probably, and then dub them over. Fuckers)

He's still very unknown here, but I hope people will start to know his name because he looks like a nice guy who can bring us a lot of Hollywood action in Montreal!

Ravi

Quote from: Pas on June 10, 2010, 01:47:03 PM
Just finished subtitling this one... wasn't so bad, really. I laughed a whole bunch of time. Not Appatow-calibre but it's alright.

That was my review of this film I will forget I have seen in 10 days.

That sums it up.  Its a pleasant enough diversion with some laughs, but nothing I'd go out of my way to revisit.  Jay Baruchel and Alice Eve don't have much chemistry.  Its hard to see why she likes him other than the fact that the film requires it.

I've seen plenty of attractive women with not-so-attractive guys, but rarely the reverse, so if women do think about leagues, it probably isn't primarily look-based, the way it is with the men who think in terms of leagues.  I think in real life when men do say "she's out of your league" or "she's out of my league" its more tongue-in-cheek, though its not like there aren't less-than-successful guys with relatively successful girls who wonder what the girls see in them.