Prometheus

Started by MacGuffin, July 31, 2009, 12:19:06 AM

Fernando

Quote from: squints on December 23, 2011, 04:33:13 PM
is a pretty awesome trailer.

thanks for that, because it reminded me that i have never seen Alien, ive only seen 3 and 4... :yabbse-smiley:

diggler

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 27, 2011, 04:03:50 PM
Maybe they did know but hated the last four Alien films.

I would love to think that but based on their overwhelmingly positive reaction to that horrible The Devil Inside trailer I don't think that's the case.

I haven't been to the theater in a while...
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

modage

HOLY Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Close the 2012 polls. Trailer of the year is here*

Best part was at 1:54 when milf redhead is watching something brutally frightening and tragic unfolding O.C. that she can barely comprehend and can't do anything about (her reaction is epic) while some dude is obviously getting curb stomped and screaming, "CUT IT OFF! CUT IT OFF!"

Made some screenshots of some interesting things...

Who's this little guy? You can't see it in the pic, but he was breathing heavily in the trailer.

Facehugger. Definitely.

See it? There! Above whitey tighties head!

Xenomorph for sure.

Who's this big guy? Maybe the little guy all growed up?

Big guy again?

It's definitely harking back to Ridley Scott's Alien, which is a good thing since Alien is one of the greatest movies of all-time, but it also seems to be more about something different, which is also cool and intriguing. My only worry is that the big guy could turn out to be something silly like the Xenomorph/Ripley hybrid in Jean-Pierre Juenet's beautifully flawed Alien: Resurrection. Remember that Alien movie? Where Ripley is slam dunking basketballs? That was really something. It's probably a silly worry because this looks really awesome.

Off topic sort of, but remember Danny Boyle's movie, Sunshine, and how perfect it was until the third act when a creature showed up and made everything about the flick dumb?

*Since The Master will be excluded.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

I am Schmi

Take it back! The latter half of the film was awesome to me.

Pretty cool trailer though. I've never really liked Scotts films, not even Blade Runner that much, but I'm looking forward to seeing this one because I did however enjoy Alien quite a bit.

RegularKarate

Quote from: S.R. on March 18, 2012, 12:18:55 AM
Who's this little guy? You can't see it in the pic, but he was breathing heavily in the trailer.

Who's this big guy?

My only worry is that the big guy could turn out to be something silly like the Xenomorph/Ripley hybrid in Jean-Pierre Juenet's beautifully flawed Alien: Resurrection.

That guy is in the original Alien.  He's the Space Jockey.  He's thought to be the pilot of the ship they find the alien eggs on.

diggler

This looks interesting. It's fun that everyone on the internet is clamoring over the mystery of it. I love that they're not outright claiming this to be a prequel to Alien, as I'm sure that was a battle with the marketing department.

socketlevel

I don't think it is a prequel, it's set after the others but is also an origin story. At least this is what I've read.
the one last hit that spent you...

RegularKarate

Quote from: socketlevel on March 20, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
I don't think it is a prequel, it's set after the others but is also an origin story. At least this is what I've read.

Where do you get that?  Everything I've read and seen indicates it takes place before Alien.

Pubrick

I thought the whole point from way back when they started developing the story was that they STARTED writing a prequel but that it ended up being something else, independent of the alien quadrilogy. Didn't anyone else read all those articles?

Please someone verify that this isn't a straight up prequel (although it does appear to be exactly that), as I totally schooled someone today for suggesting it.

Did ridley scott and damon lindelof just pretend it wasn't a prequel just to distance the hype away from the disappointing later entries in the series? Internet sleuths, get to work! My reputation at the water cooler depends on it.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-damon-lindelof-michael-fassbender-prometheus-interview/153243/

Since you're leaving this film open with these bigger ideas that could lead to another film, would you take that film closer to the Alien franchise, or would it be its own different storyline?

LINDELOF: I think that's actually a really insightful question. This word "prequel" was on the table. It was the elephant in the room and had to be discussed. When I had first heard that Ridley was going to direct an Alien prequel, and then six months later my phone rang and the voice on the other end said, "Are you available to talk to Ridley Scott?," and then I crashed into a telephone pole, I answered the call and Ridley was like, "Hey, man, I'm going to send you a script tonight." And, he doesn't know he's Ridley Scott. So, I read this thing and we had a meeting, and he was already very clearly saying, "I want to come back to this genre. I want to do sci-fi again. I feel like this movie is just a little bit too close to Alien. I've done this stuff before. But, there are big ideas in it that are unique, in and of themselves. Is there a way to do that?" I said, "I think that that's what we have to do." If there were a sequel to this movie, it would not be Alien. Normally, that's the definition of a prequel. It precedes the other movies. The Star Wars prequels are going to end with Darth Vader going, "Noooo!," unfortunately. There's an inevitability, in watching a prequel, where you're like, "Okay, if the ending of this movie is just going to be the room that John Hurt walks into, that's full of eggs, there's nothing interesting in that because we know where it's going to end. With really good stories, you don't know where it's going to end. So, this movie, hopefully, will contextualize the original Alien, so that when you watch it again, maybe you know a little bit more. But, you don't fuck around with that movie. It has to stand on its own. It's a classic. If we're fortunate enough to do a sequel to Prometheus, it will tangentialize even further away from the original Alien. When you go to the concert that is this movie, you want the Stones to play "Satisfaction." There is this sense of us saying, "We want you to do something new, Ridley, but just give us a little bit of space jockey. Just play it! Even in the encore." And, I think Ridley has given us the movie that I think we all want to see.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

I love Damon Lindelof.

polkablues

His Twitter is the best Twitter.

I like this approach to the film. It exists in the story world of Alien, and has familiar iconography to the Alien films, but it's not hostage to the bullshit fanwank that a prequel typically requires. Of course, there's still the chance that it's all a smoke-screen and the movie will end with Tom Skerritt and Sigourney Weaver coming around the corner and winking at the camera in freeze-frame as the credits roll. Based on Ridley Scott's recent career, it wouldn't be all that shocking.
My house, my rules, my coffee

socketlevel

Quote from: ddiggler on March 19, 2012, 11:36:33 PM
This looks interesting. It's fun that everyone on the internet is clamoring over the mystery of it. I love that they're not outright claiming this to be a prequel to Alien, as I'm sure that was a battle with the marketing department.

or the opposite, i'm not sure the alien franchise has the clout it once did.
the one last hit that spent you...

diggler

Quote from: socketlevel on March 25, 2012, 11:51:40 AM
Quote from: ddiggler on March 19, 2012, 11:36:33 PM

or the opposite, i'm not sure the alien franchise has the clout it once did.

nevermind

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oCPGbPbzLQ