Let Me In

Started by MacGuffin, June 21, 2009, 09:41:57 PM

RegularKarate

Ooooooooh, I get to see this a week early at Fantastic Fest.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

I'm not disappointed in these posters, 'cause I wasn't expecting much to begin with, but fffffffffffffffffuck they're ugly.

I really wish designers would stop using photoshop for everything nowadays. It's lazy, ugly, and we can tell when and where it's been used (especially the faces! why is no one allowed to resemble a real live human being anymore?). Just take a fucking picture and leave it at that.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

OrHowILearnedTo

ya, those posters perfectly capture how bad i think the movie will be.

modage

Reviews from TIFF are all extremely positive.

""Let Me In" achieves the rare feat of remaining rigorously reverential to its source material while emerging as a highly accomplished work in its own right." - Hollywood Reporter

"This is a true, respectful treatment of the original material.  As for the question of Swedish or American, which version is better? I simply don't know if I can offer an answer to that because the experience of watching the two versions is so wildly different." - Twitchfilm

"I would argue that Matt Reeves' Let Me In, which I've just come out of, is at least as good as Tomas Alfredson's Let The Right One In.  It doesn't diminish -- it respects and pays tribute to the original by keeping what worked -- adhering as closely as possible for the most part -- and enhancing here and there." - Hollywood Elsewhere

SlashFilm and FirstShowing both loved it too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

OrHowILearnedToStopForejudging

modage

The Playlist too: "TIFF '10 Review: 'Let Me In' Is The Rare Remake That Is Worthy Of The Original" http://dlvr.it/55YBQ
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

This is great news. I hated this movie, then I kind of warmed up to it, and now I can't wait to see it. Mod, you need to bust out the spoilatar for this one. At least until Halloween.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pozer on September 11, 2010, 07:03:36 PM
OrHowILearnedToStopForejudging

Can't stop loling at this.
under the paving stones.

Kal

I was pleasantly surprised. I was shocked first when Tim League said he liked it more than the original. I think that is going too far, but its pretty pretty pretty, pretty good. It has some differences and things that make it unique in its way, and shows Matt Reeves is a smart dude. It's a lot easier to fuck this up than to do it right.

pete

kal, I appreciate your short reviews of films that beat everyone else to it and I appreciate your larry david reference.  maybe I'm just in too jolly of a mood, but I like it when I see your name in a post 'cause I know it wouldn't be bullshit hype links or clever jokes; it would just be some type of capsule review that I may or may not agree with, but it's there for everyone.  Thanks buddy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

RegularKarate

Quote from: kal on September 24, 2010, 11:16:23 AM
I was pleasantly surprised. I was shocked first when Tim League said he liked it more than the original. I think that is going too far, but its pretty pretty pretty, pretty good. It has some differences and things that make it unique in its way, and shows Matt Reeves is a smart dude. It's a lot easier to fuck this up than to do it right.

I'm torn about this movie.  I saw it at the same screening as Kal (Kal, I don't think Tim said he liked it more, I think he was feeding the hype by saying it "might be better" than the original... he does this sometimes).

I really enjoyed it and my initial reaction is to say "Great Job!".  The acting is great and there's one scene in the movie that I think is the best scene out of either movie, but outside of that, it's almost TOO FAITHFUL.  I guess it's better than being a shitty, watered-down Americanization, but it borrows SO MUCH from the original that you might as well watch the original.

Still, worth seeing and I liked it, I just wonder if maybe I should be mad at it.*

(*not really, I'm in charge of my own feelings)

matt35mm

It's pretty damned good.  I don't have a lot of specific memories about the original, because I only saw that once, but I do remember that it made me feel the exact same way that this movie made me feel.  There were a handful of things that I thought were better about this movie, and a handful of things that I thought were better about the original, but the differences are so minor.  It more or less felt like watching the same movie, but it held its own in the sincerity of the relationship between the two main characters, so it's just as exciting to watch their relationship develop.

Excellent performances from everybody.  Richard Jenkins is always the shit.  Honestly, this is the first time that I've really liked Chloe Moretz.  She was my least favorite thing about (500) Days of Summer, and she was fine in Kick Ass, but here she really gets to show what she can do, and she can do a lot very well.

Stefen

This was really really good.

There are actually some things I liked more than the original. Particularly the setting. I think setting it in the Reagan 80's really gave it a neat and unique feeling. Richard Jenkins is really great, but I kept thinking about what Philip Seymour Hoffman would have done in the role when he was rumored for it.

It's a scary movie. TONS of blood, but like the original, it's not an action film. It's really a coming of age film and an excellent one at that.

Matt Reeves deserves a lot of credit for not fucking it up. A LOT OF CREDIT. He hit it out of the park.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.