Predators

Started by MacGuffin, April 23, 2009, 06:55:24 PM

MacGuffin

Fox, Rodriguez Rebooting Predator Series
Source: IESB

Robert Rodriguez and 20th Century Fox are giving Predator a facelift in a new film entitled Predators. First reported by Bloody-Disgusting in January, the official announcement came today via a news conference today at the Texas-based Troublemaker Studios where Rodriguez was on hand for the signing of a new state film incentive.

"I'm going to be able to shoot my upcoming 'Machete' here, a sci-fi action film called 'Nerverackers,' a re-boot of the 'Predator' series called 'Predators,' and a couple of smaller movies called 'Sin City 2' and 'The Jetsons,'" he told the press.

If you recall, Rodriguez penned a Predator 3 script some time ago that was discarded because it was "too big."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Robert Rodriguez explains his vision for Predators
Source: SciFi Wire

Robert Rodriguez, who is developing a reboot/re-imagined film called Predators for Fox, told Ain't It Cool News that the movie is a sequel set on a jungle-like Predator planet.

"With a nod toward [James] Cameron's Aliens, I decided to call it Predators," Rodriguez told the site.

Rodriguez (Sin City) added: "Predator is a masterpiece of the action/science fiction genre. It's been borrowed from so much in other movies and even video games (that will now probably be turned into movies themselves) that I liked the idea that we could have Predators made relatively quickly. What I'd like to do with it is expand on ideas I dreamt up back in the original treatment, that had really expanded on the universe both the Predators and other species live in.

"We'd create new otherworldly characters while not taking away from the draw our main Predator has. I think another reason I called it Predators was to mark it as a project that should be taken seriously by a filmmaker to make a worthy follow-up to a classic, much in the way Cameron made Aliens a compelling work on its own, following Ridley Scott's Alien."

The writer/director added that his treatment envisioned an R-rated movie. Stay tuned.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Neil Marshall in Talks to Direct 'Predators'
by Peter Martin; Cinematical

My principles may be crumbling, just a little. Neil Marshall is in talks to direct Predators, according to Bloody Disgusting, citing an anonymous tipster. At this point, it's very much a rumor -- for all we know, Marshall was visiting a friend in the commissary at 20th Century Fox and was seen in close proximity to an executive -- but of all the possible candidates to helm a sequel to the alien hunter franchise, I'd definitely be down with Marshall.

He has three features to his credit: The Descent is the best and most widely-acclaimed, a feverish nightmare in which a group of women explore a cave and discover deadly denizens, to their dismay. I got a huge kick out of the bloody, funny, pulse-pounding Dog Soldiers, featuring Scottish soldiers on a training run who encounter werewolves, and, though I was decidedly in the minority, really enjoyed the post-Apocalyptic action epic Doomsday. The latter was his first with a Hollywood studio (Rogue Pictures). Upcoming is his "old-style swords 'n' armor action epic" Centurion, which looks promising but doesn't yet have US distribution.

Robert Rodriguez is on board to produce. Predators is already set to be released on July 7, 2010, so Fox will have to make a decision soon. Marshall has always written his own scripts; if this rumor proves to be true, either he'll have to pound out a rewrite in a hurry or take what Fox gives him. Considering the track records of Marshall and Fox, there's reason for both optimism ... and despair.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Predators Director Confirmed By Rodriguez
Source: ComingSoon

Ain't it Cool News' Harry Knowles gave a ring to Robert Rodriguez to get confirmation on who's at the helm of Predators, 20th Century Fox's next film in the franchise. And it is Nimrod Antal, the man behind the upcoming action flick Armored and who last dabbled in the thriller genre with Vacancy. You'll recall Latino Review broke Antal's potential involvement here.

Rodriguez, who is shepherding the project, says the story involves "a very intense group of people stranded on a Predator planet discovering unspeakable horrors - that are not always from outside their group. So like the original movie, the title does have a double meaning. 'Aliens' was a different take on the Alien idea, and an original movie in it's own right, and that's what we want to do with this."

The film is a Troublemaker Studios production.

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 23, 2009, 06:55:24 PM
If you recall, Rodriguez penned a Predator 3 script some time ago that was discarded because it was "too big."

Was this leaked?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Adrien Brody to star in 'Predators'; Topher Grace in negotiations to join him
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Hollywood's lining up to be hunted!

Adrien Brody is boarding to star in "Robert Rodriguez's Predators," Fox's reboot of the sci-fi franchise being directed by Nimrod Antal. Rodriguez is producing with Elizabeth Avellan.

Topher Grace is in negotiations to join the action-adventure movie, to which Alice Braga ("I Am Legend"), Mahershalalhashbaz Ali ("The 4400"), Walt Goggins ("The Shield"), Rodriguez mainstay Danny Trejo and UFC fighter Oleg Taktarov have also been cast.

Written by Rodriguez, Alex Litvak and Michael Finch, the script follows a group of elite warrior-types who are being hunted by members of a race of merciless alien trackers called Predators.

Brody is a man who ends up inheriting the mantle of leader and is known as a hunter of men. Grace would play an accountant-type whose unassuming facade masks a dangerous serial killer.

Braga is the tough female killer. Ali is a man not afraid to die, Goggins is the loose canon of the group and Taktarov is a former Russian special ops agent.

Trejo, already cast, is Cuchillo, a hardened warrior with twin uzis strapped to his back.

Shooting begins next month in Hawaii then moves to moves to Rodriguez's Troublemaker Studios in Austin. The movie is slated for a July 9, 2010, release. 

Brody was last seen in Dario Argento's "Giallo" and next voices the character of Rickity in Wes Anderson's "The Fantastic Mr. Fox." Grace will next be seen in New Line's ensemble romantic comedy "Valentine's Day."

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

no comments on this?

This is interesting to me that Rodriguez is taking the franchise on, and Planet Terror is the only movie of his I've seen from beginning to end I think.

RegularKarate

Quote from: bigideas on October 07, 2009, 08:22:16 AM
no comments on this?

This is interesting to me that Rodriguez is taking the franchise on, and Planet Terror is the only movie of his I've seen from beginning to end I think.

Why?  Do you walk out of his other movies?

He's not directing this one anyway.

A friend (of a friend, really) of mine works for Troublemaker and said they are building (or built) a river of blood for this.

tpfkabi

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 07, 2009, 12:59:14 PM
Quote from: bigideas on October 07, 2009, 08:22:16 AM
no comments on this?

Why?  Do you walk out of his other movies?

He's not directing this one anyway.

A friend (of a friend, really) of mine works for Troublemaker and said they are building (or built) a river of blood for this.

oops. i didn't read well enough. the last article just says he wrote it and i just assumed he was directing it (but i see above they name someone else).

re: his other movies

i guess the prior ones didn't interest me enough to go see them or rent them (and his current ones have mostly been kid movies), but i've seen bits on tv over the years.

pete

dude sincity's one of the best.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

72teeth

yeah man, its pretty cool.
definitely something i'd like to watch for the first time again...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

squints

Sin City is great but Once Upon a Time in Mexico is really really really bad.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

72teeth

yeah, dont fuckin see that one... ive never been huge on Desperado either but it has some genuine moments. But From Dusk til' Dawn is super badass! Fuck Sincity, see Dusk til' Dawn.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

His movies were awesome when I was a kid. Loved his flicks as a teenager. Now? No thanks.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

brockly

yeah. Rodriguez is like a talentless tarantino. the existence of this movie in particular makes me want to smack that stupid hat off his head. i wouldn't hurt him though, he's got kids.