True Grit (2010)

Started by MacGuffin, March 23, 2009, 01:05:58 AM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Earlier today I was just thinking "Is this still coming out this year?"

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/truegrit/

HATE the song.  Really hoping it's not going to be wall-to-wall gospel/bluegrass/O Brother music.  Was kinda expecting more humor in this too but maybe it's just not evident in the trailer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

I'm actually hoping it's devoid of humor. The teaser makes it look badass.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

Love the song, hate the rest of the trailer. The movie looks good, but the trailer's just so choppy. Maybe it's the song's fault after all, but I like it anyway.

squints

i get super duper boners for westerns. the same goes for the coens. I'm in. Totally.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

inevitable cmbb reference: guy falling down the hole towards the camera.

the song is fine, seeing as o brother was their last great film i don't mind if they allow it to influence them a little. also don't expect much humour in this.. nor would i want the coens to try to be purely funny again, based on Burn After Reading i hope they ONLY do serious films from now on, at least then the worst they can get is boring (no country) and not downright embarrassing to the point of sullying their reputation.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

I think it's obvious the song is there to draw in people like my parents. They know and love the Coens, for the most part. They love a classic like True Grit. And the music is moody and evocative of O' Brother. It's intentionally pointing to more mainstream elements of the Coens' oeuvre, like their bestselling soundtrack and their biggest grossing movie, for a reason = $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and I'm ok with that.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

matt35mm

Saw that in front of The Social Network, and now I'm really looking forward to the movie.  Also: I'm glad that there's going to be some humor in this film, not that I ever really doubted it.  The Coens excel at creating a tension between comedy and tragedy, and to create an overly serious film would just make me wonder why John Hillcoat didn't make it instead.

modage

Shortest period ever between teaser and trailer?

Stefen

It looks great. I love movies where a character has to save someone they never expected to feel the need to save. My only beef is I have a hard time seeing Matt Damon as anything gritty. Love the dude, but that's just something I can't see him working with.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on October 04, 2010, 01:26:35 PM
Shortest period ever between teaser and trailer?

truly a momentous occasion i will never forget.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

old man lawyer in opening of that trailer has voice identical to abs McConaughey amirite?

polkablues

It might just be Matt Damon doing a .
My house, my rules, my coffee