Moon [Sundance 09]

Started by modage, January 19, 2009, 03:20:14 PM

blackmirror

This was my favorite movie of 2OO9.  I think it is OK that it didn't blow people away.  Mainly, it is limited by the abstract: moon-mining, clones, human/artificial intelligence relations, outer-space -- there is little for the zeitgeist to manifest.  However, this allows expansive room for theoretical analysis.  Sure, theory can be dry, but it becomes meaningful when the abstract turns its mirror on the self, pandering you to question existence: your place in this world and how significant life compares to the grand scheme of things.  Duncan Jones has created a movie to address these questions in a remote environment -- a clear departure from our world, and places us on the moon.  Yet, it isn't a complete suspension of reality -- we can see our moon nearly every day, it is real, it is not Pandora.  With this in consideration, the dry, abstract elements of isolation emphasize -- even emboldens -- the nature of these ideas.  As for the criticism, it is reminiscent of last week's episode of LOST, "Across the Sea".  There was so much anticipation before it aired -- "OMG! They're going back to 23 AD. Maybe we'll see Jesus! Egyptians! Ancient Astronauts!!"  It wasn't so.  It was a gentle tale that had subtle foreshadows of the supernatural, yet was centered on human and mortal being.  Sam Bell is facing similar challenges as he discovers the twist of multiple Sam's under the manipulation of corporate enterprise and artificial intelligence.  In its essence, it is a story of survival.  Critics should understand that quality before stopping their analysis after judging "it had really great effects".  Any film that poses these questions, demands my attention and respect.  It certainly beats the majority of the movies in wide-release these days.