X-Men: First Class

Started by MacGuffin, November 18, 2008, 09:16:30 PM

diggler

I enjoyed this very much. I'll echo what everyone has said about Fassbender, he's fantastic in the role.  I also enjoyed Professor X's corny way of picking up women.  Kevin Bacon would make a great Bond villain, in fact I really dug the whole Bond vibe of the film, with sidekick bimbos who can't act and the Cold War backdrop. There's a lot wrong with it, namely the way the other mutants are handled/rushed, but the film never strays too far from McAvoy and Fassbender and it really works because of it.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Sleepless

Haven't seen it. Surprised/glad about the general good word of mouth. The main complaint I'm hearing is that there are just too many mutants introduced late in the game that they are rushed and not fully fleshed out. For those who've seen the film: do you think they could have done without them. From the impression I get, this is more of an intimate film focusing on the very beginning of the x-men and the Professor X/Magneto relationship. Almost seems like they would have been better to keep the characters limited, then market the shit out of the sequel by doing a series of viral shorts introducing the key new mutants so that they can just hit the ground running with more or less established characters in the second movie. Plus it would be a nifty way to avoid a lot of this origin-fatigue that the movie apparently suffers from, as do all super hero/comic book movies.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

diggler

spoilers:

The only difference between this film and the other comic book "origin" films is that the origin scenes in this one are the strongest parts of the film. It only suffers from trying to force all the characters into their proper places (Magneto as the villain, Mystique by his side, Professor X in a wheelchair).  There's still plenty of story left to play with and many years to play with it. Bringing all of the characters to where they were at the beginning of the first X-Men film, which takes place almost 40 years later, makes it seem as if nothing happens in all that time. I would've been perfectly happy seeing an entire film bringing Magneto and Professor X together, then saving the school/recruitment stuff for later.

As it stands, it's still very solid. None of the characters are bad necessarily, just a bit undercooked. I even enjoyed January Jones, although I don't think she gave that performance on purpose.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

SiliasRuby

This is the first X men movie I truly liked. Diggler is right, the origin parts are the best sequences in the film. It actually made me want to rewatch the X men movies of the past and see the events that followed. I'm intrigued to watch more of these origin stories now...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

cronopio 2

Gamblour.

I really liked this. I will buy it when it's out on blu-ray (which is the ultimate stamp of approval). I could watch McAvoy and Fassbender for hours and hours. They are far and away some of the best actors working today, and I can't wait to see what else they do. As for Vaughn, he finally made a film I liked.
WWPTAD?