Captain America: The First Avenger

Started by MacGuffin, November 09, 2008, 11:34:07 PM

MacGuffin

Tommy Lee Jones Confirmed for Captain America
Source: ComingSoon

As rumored, Tommy Lee Jones will act in Captain America: The First Avenger in a still-unknown role. Hayley Atwell, who plays Peggy Carter in the Joe Johnston-directed comic book adaptation, confirmed the news to LeicesterSquareTV. You can watch their interview with Atwell using the player below. They start talking about "Captain America" around the 2:20 mark.

Rumors place the "Men in Black" star in the part of General Chester Phillips, the military officer who chooses Steve Rogers for the super soldier program and who aided in his training soon after the serum took effect.

Phillips was retconned into continuity in "Tales of Suspense #63" in 1965, just two years after Captain America was brought to Marvel's forefront as the leader of the Avengers. Phillips remained a character in the Marvel universe until 2003 when he (now retired) was killed by assassins from the underwater rival-to-Atlantis continent Lemuria.

In addition to Atwell, Jones is joining Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Sebastian Stan, Toby Jones, Samuel L. Jackson and Dominic Cooper in the July 22, 2011 release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Neil

I thought that was an interesting choice.  Can't remember the last thing he did other than no country which seems pretty awful of me.  But, regardless, what the fuck?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

Yes, this IS officially what Captain America looks like!
Source: SciFi Wire

Did Marvel hire BP execs to run things? Because all of a sudden, images from the studio's next two movies are leaking all over the place!

We already showed you those pics of Chris Hemsworth as the Thunder God in next May's Thor that made their way online, and earlier there was that verbal description of the designs for Captain America's outfit. But then Aint It Cool News got hold of the actual Cap images that everyone was talking about!

We've already gone through the changes made from Cap's costume in the comics, and while we'll miss his iconic wings, the suit now probably looks more "cinematic" and more realistic from a military point of view. There's no word yet on whether the outfit in these images is strictly from Cap's World War II era, but we're guessing that's the case and that we have yet to see a modernized version.

Of course, the costume is only as good as the man who wears it, and we have high hopes that star Chris Evans will successfully fill those big boots when Captain America: The First Avenger hits screens next July.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

spiderman pants.

plumber belt.

unnecessary suspenders.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."

RegularKarate

Pretty sure this is just the WWII Cap.  It looks very similar to the outfit in the Ultimates (which the movies seem to be following).  His actual modern outfit will look different.

Myxo

It's a real shame this won't be rated R. Some of the earlier Captain America books were incredibly violent during the war. When I heard they were making this I had Larry Fong in mind as DP/Cinematographer. He's the brain behind the magic from Hero, 300, Watchmen, etc. I just have this shitty feeling that Marvel will tame the character too much. Man, Captain America is a badass. Yes, I'm a comic book nerd.

Imagine something along these lines with a 300 style look from WW2.

cronopio 2

they should've just used this dude and get it over with.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks