The Bourne Legacy

Started by MacGuffin, October 19, 2007, 10:50:21 AM

Gold Trumpet

Alright, to show how much larger of a success the Bourne Identity was on DVD than in theaters, http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/2007/20070610.php By this June 10, 2007 DVD sales report, the Bourne Identity was available for 229 weeks (over 40 weeks longer than the next film) and was still in the weekly top 30 for DVD sales. I'm not disputing the Bourne Identity wasn't a success in theaters. I just don't believe it was a huge success. Its life on DVD is what has made the Bourne franchise the financial juggernaut.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on April 28, 2011, 04:11:29 PM
Alright, to show how much larger of a success the Bourne Identity was on DVD than in theaters, http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/2007/20070610.php By this June 10, 2007 DVD sales report, the Bourne Identity was available for 229 weeks (over 40 weeks longer than the next film) and was still in the weekly top 30 for DVD sales. I'm not disputing the Bourne Identity wasn't a success in theaters. I just don't believe it was a huge success. Its life on DVD is what has made the Bourne franchise the financial juggernaut.

I'm not trying to be an asshole to you, I'm just an asshole for facts.  Your link has Bourne Identity on a list with Bourne Supremacy, around the time Bourne Ultimatum is about to hit the theaters.  Naturally the original two are going to reappear on the dvd sales chart.  The way you phrase it, you make it sound like Bourne Identity has been on the chart for 229 consecutive weeks, which is clearly not the case:

Quote27    (-)    Bourne Identity, The    27,292    -.-%    -    $231,709    -    229

The - within () indicates the film wasn't on the previous week's list, and with the dates and facts supports the idea that it made its way back on the charts due to the impending release of the third film.  That same site says:

QuoteOur sales charts currently start on February 12, 2006. DVDs released before that date do not have cumulative totals.

Is there another site to use?  I think you're arranging facts for your convenience.  The bo numbers of the first and second Bourne suggest a dependable increase in interest in a developing franchise - clearly successful, $120m worth, beginning with its first movie.  Nothing about these numbers encourage the belief that the movies' successes should be largely attributed to dvd rediscovery, but rather reflect typical awareness related growth as the sequels are released.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Gold Trumpet

I wasn't trying to rearrange facts. I misread the meter of that site and what "weeks available" implied. I have no problem in saying that battle was lost by me.

Jeremy Blackman

diggler

numbers aside, I was pretty "meh" on Bourne when it first came out. The sequels were what cemented it as a sustainable series. When people compare the way action sequences are shot to the Bourne movies, they're talking about Supremacy and Ultimatum.

Also, i'm pretty sure Damon was a household name by the time he did Bourne. Regardless of what his box office draw was, it's not like anyone went to see it and said "who is that guy?"
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I want to buy this movie a fancy dinner and then make sweet love to it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

©brad

This was pretty fun! I'm surprised it's getting such meh reviews. The final set piece drifts into nonsensical generic action movie territory but everything leading up to it was fantastic.