The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Started by MacGuffin, October 10, 2007, 02:26:55 AM

MacGuffin

THE IMAGINARIUM OF TERRY GILLIAM
Source: CHUD

I have no good reason why I didn't post this when I glimpsed it on Film Ick the other day, but there's some serious news to report on Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus -- notably that it's actually happening, or at least is in pre-production. Gilliam knows that's a slight stretch from a true go picture, but it's close enough for me.

Gilliam fan site Dreams has a solid breakdown of the film, with casting and plot summaries and a super-large version of the image above. My previous report that Tom Waits would be playing the title character isn't quite right -- that'll actually be the best old man in Hollywood, Christopher Plummer.

Waits is still on board, though, since someone has to engineer the train, dig the on-set graves and croon a work song while the grips row a canoe down the creek. He'll be playing Mr. Nick, the film's version of the Devil, from whom Dr. Parnassus won his immortality before trading endless life back for youth and love.

No word yet on who Heath Ledger will play, though his character is listed as 'Tony', presumably the guy who helps the good doctor win his latest bet with the devil, which (as shown the in synopsis below) is the film's primary plot.

I love this entire setup; it's pure Gilliam, but with more of an emotional hook than he's often got built into his projects. With Ledger having come into his own as an actor and Plummer as the (hopefully) unshakable senior foundation, this might be the director's first film I've really been dying to see since 12 Monkeys.

The synopsis below contains minor spoilers:

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is a fantastical morality tale, set in the present day.

It tells the story of Dr Parnassus and his extraordinary 'Imaginarium', a travelling show where members of the audience get an irresistible opportunity to choose between light and joy or darkness and gloom. Blessed with the extraordinary gift of guiding the imaginations of others, Dr Parnassus is cursed with a dark secret. Long ago he made a bet with the devil, Mr Nick, in which he won immortality.

Many centuries later, on meeting his one true love, Dr Parnassus made another deal with the devil, trading his immortality for youth, on condition that when his first-born reached its 16th birthday he or she would become the property of Mr Nick. Valentina is now rapidly approaching this 'coming of age' milestone and Dr Parnassus is desperate to protect her from her impending fate. Mr Nick arrives to collect but, always keen to make a bet, renegotiates the wager. Now the winner of Valentina will be determined by whoever seduces the first five souls.

Enlisting a series of wild, comical and compelling characters in his journey, Dr Parnassus promises his daughter's hand in marriage to the man that helps him win. In this captivating, explosive and wonderfully imaginative race against time, Dr Parnassus must fight to save his daughter in a never-ending landscape of surreal obstacles - and undo the mistakes of his past once and for all...

http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/parnprev.htm
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ledger, Plummer join Gilliam's 'Doctor'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Former Monty Python man Terry Gilliam's next project behind the lens, "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," has conjured a cast including Heath Ledger, Christopher Plummer and Tom Waits.

The project producing team of William Vince, Amy Gilliam and Paris-based producer and distributor Samuel Hadida said Wednesday that securing Gilliam behind the lens was key for the project billed as a fantasy adventure.

Lily Cole, Andrew Garfield and Verne Troyer will also star in the project scheduled to begin shooting in London in December before moving to Vancouver.

Hadida said: "In a time when so many films follow set formulas, Terry's imagination and visual gifts are priceless."

The movie details the story of Dr. Parnassus (Plummer) who has the gift of guiding the imaginations of others and has been dancing with the devil (Waits), who is about to come and collect on the arrangement.

Said Gilliam: "This fun and humorous story about the consequences of our personal choices in life will resonate worldwide."

Gilliam is collaborating with writing partner Charles McKeown on the script.

"Working with Samuel, Amy and William, I am supported in our shared belief and passion in making this special film, Gilliam said. "Embarking into the world of a modern fantasy adventure I can't think of a better team working together."

Los Angeles based Mandate International is handling sales at AFM.

Arsenal's John Ptak and Dave Valleau from Infinity brokered the deal between Vince, the Gilliams and Hadida.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Parnassus' team faces dilemma
Ledger was key to pic's financing
Source: Variety

LONDON — The future of Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" has been thrown into question following the sudden death of its star Heath Ledger.

The $30 million indie pic wrapped the London leg of its shoot last Saturday. The production team has moved to Vancouver, Canada, where blue-screen work was due to start next week and continue until early March.

The producers have yet to issue any statement about how or whether they plan to proceed without Ledger.

Ledger was the biggest name in an ensemble cast including Christopher Plummer, Lily Cole and Tom Waits. It's the story of an ancient travelling show which arrives in modern London with a magical mirror that can transport its audience into fantastical realms of the imagination.

Plummer plays the impresario Doctor Parnassus, and Ledger took the role of a mysterious outsider who joins the troupe on a quest through parallel worlds to save the doctor's daughter (Cole) from the clutches of the devil (Waits).

The movie is produced by Samuel Hadida, Bill Vince and Amy Gilliam, and largely financed through Hadida's Paris-based Davis Film.

Ledger's involvement in the project was a key factor in raising the finance. He had a strong relationship with Gilliam from their last pic together, "Brothers Grimm."

In November 2000, Gilliam was forced to abandon his $32 million indie project "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" after just a week of shooting, when his star Jean Rochefort was too ill to continue.

Ledger's death also came as he was working on what would have been his feature directing debut, an adaptation of the Walter Tevis novel "The Queen's Gambit," with British writer/producer Allan Scott.

The leading role of a young female chess prodigy had been offered to Oscar nominee Ellen Page. Ledger, himself a highly rated chess player, was due to play a supporting role.

In an interview last month, a few days after shooting started on "Doctor Parnassus," Gilliam said, "Heath is extraordinary. He's just so good, and he's going to be a film director. He's watching everything, and he's going to be a much better director than I will ever be."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Was the Vancouver SFX shoot the last scheduled shoot for the film?

MacGuffin

Gilliam Replacing Ledger With Depp?

According to a rumor printed in the British tabloid The Sun, director Terry Gilliam is looking to Johnny Depp to take over the role played by late actor Heath Ledger in the currently shooting fantasy film The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Ledger was six weeks away from finishing his work on the film when he was found dead in a New York apartment on Jan. 22.

"There is a point in the film when Heath falls through a magic mirror," a studio source told the paper. "He could change into another character after that and that is where Johnny would come in. It's a weird, fantasy, time-travel movie, so Heath's character could easily change appearance. It would be a poignant moment. Johnny's not working at the moment, so everyone is praying he will do it."

Gilliam previously worked with Depp in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and the uncompleted The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (later the subject of the documentary Lost in La Mancha).

Skeleton FilmWorks

w/o horse

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

diggler

hmmm, i like the idea of recasting the part for Depp, but i don't think the magic mirror gimmick will work, especially since it sounds like something he just pulled out of his ass. it'll be too obvious to the audience why it happened.

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ddiggler on January 25, 2008, 04:39:53 PM
hmmm, i like the idea of recasting the part for Depp, but i don't think the magic mirror gimmick will work, especially since it sounds like something he just pulled out of his ass. it'll be too obvious to the audience why it happened.

It'll work because Gilliam will create the right atmosphere within the film to make it believable. On paper the idea always sounds semi-stupid, but certain filmmakers can create the right feeling within their film to make it work. The way Luis Bunuel did it in That Obscure Object of Desire with no explanation was wholly believable and legitimate. Considering Gilliam is dealing with magical subject matter in this film, the transition will be that much easier for him.

diggler

it could... fortunately for gilliam he's making the kind of film he's making and they are where they are in shooting. they must have a substantial amount finished if they're not considering re-shooting those scenes with Depp.  I'll accept anything they do though, if it means this movie gets made.

All i can think of was that awful scene in the sopranos when they attempted to digitally insert tony's mother after the actress died. i know this situation is completely different, and this will probably only matter to about 10% of the audience that knows what gilliams intentions were. the rest will probably think it was the way he intended to make the film.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

Show Will Go On for Heath's Last Movie, Says Costar
By Natasha Stoynoff; People Magazine

Director Terry Gilliam is feverishly working to figure out how to keep Heath Ledger alive on film, according to one of the late actor's costars in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which Ledger was still shooting when he died last week.

"Terry's throwing himself into the job of trying to salvage the picture," veteran actor Christopher Plummer told PEOPLE over the weekend.

Despite earlier reports that the director might shelve the $30 million production, Gilliam, whom Plummer describes as "terribly saddened" by Ledger's death is "trying to work out at this moment how to continue on. Fortunately, because the film deals with magic, there is a way, perhaps, of turning Heath into other people and then, using stills and I think they call it CGI...

"Terry was a very good friend [of Heath's]," adds Plummer. "He very wants to go on with the movie, and I can very much understand why. Because he wants to dedicate it to Heath, of course."

Ledger and Plummer both left the London portion of the movie's shoot last weekend and were due to continue filming next week in Vancouver. Leaving England, says Plummer, "Heath was in very high spirits. He was just enjoying himself tremendously. It's a rather fanciful script, and he was wonderful in this role."

Confirming earlier reports that Ledger hadnt been feeling well on set, Plummer says, "we all caught colds because we were shooting outside on horrible, damp nights. But Heath's went on and I don't think he dealt with it immediately with the antibiotics....I think what he did have was the walking pneumonia."

On top of that, "He was saying all the time, 'dammit, I can't sleep'...and he was taking all these pills [to help him]."

As well as the damp cold and lack of sleep, Plummer describes the shoot as rigorous. "We had to shoot every second we were out there...there was hardly any time to go into the tent or the car to keep warm. We just kept shooting...boom, boom, boom...there was no pause. It was very, very hard work."

Ledger would have appreciated the show-must-go-on mentality, says his co-star. "He was terribly likeable and obviously enormously talented...and the combination was terrific. It's such a shame these things have to happen to the good ones."

As for reports that Gilliam has approached Johnny Depp to step into Ledger's role, the actor's rep tells PEOPLE: "There have been no official talks, and he is currently working on Public Enemies for Michael Mann for Universal."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Depp, Law, Farrell in Parnassus
Stars set to play Ledger's role.

Since Heath Ledger died mid-way through filming his final project - The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus - there has been speculation as to whether director Terry Gilliam would be able to complete the project, and if so, how.

It was rumoured that another actor would be cast in Ledger's role, with the change in appearance explained by the fantastical events of the film. Well, now AintItCool is reporting that not one, but three thesps will fill the late actors shoes – Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell.

Apparently the stars will all play the character - a man trying to save the daughter of a traveling showman who sold her to the devil - at different points in the film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Gilliam's 'Doctor' making rounds again
Source: Hollywood Reporter

LONDON -- Filming on Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" is back under way in Vancouver, Gilliam and the U.K.-Canadian co-production's producers said Monday.

The filmmakers also confirmed widespread rumors that Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law will participate in the completion of the film, which shut down after the sudden death of actor Heath Ledger on Jan. 22.

"Since the format of the story allows for the preservation of his entire performance, at no point will Heath's work be modified or altered through the use of digital technology," the producers said in a statement. "Each of the parts played by Johnny, Colin and Jude is representative of the many aspects of the character that Heath was playing."

"I am grateful to Johnny, Colin and Jude for coming on board and to everyone else who has made it possible for us to finish the film," Gilliam said. "I am delighted that Heath's brilliant performance can be shared with the world. We are looking forward to finishing the movie and, through the film, with a modicum of humility, being able to touch people's hearts and souls as Heath was able to do."

The cast also includes Christopher Plummer, Verne Troyer, Andrew Garfield, Lily Cole and Tom Waits. The modern-day fantasy adventure film was written by Gilliam and Charles McKeown and produced by William Vince, Amy Gilliam and Samuel Hadida.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

As 'Imaginarium' Stalls, When Will Audiences See Heath Ledger's Final Film?
Source: MTV

Heath Ledger's posthumous win was undoubtedly the most emotional moment of this year's Oscars ceremony. It wasn't just the pain of seeing his family accept his award, but also the feeling that this was the final farewell to the talented actor, and his now legendary performance in "The Dark Knight."

However, as everyone knows, Ledger's Dark Knight performance wasn't his last. The actor was filming Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" at the time of his death. The film was nearly scrapped until Jude Law, Johnny Depp, and Colin Farrell stepped forward to take over the role, which was hastily rewritten to accommodate multiple performances.

The film is now complete, but it's future is still uncertain. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film is having trouble finding a U.S. buyer and distributor.

Of course, Ledger's association with the film has caused a lot of buzz and interest, but potential deals have dropped off. It has international distribution, which means audiences overseas will be able to see it, but American audiences might be left in the cold.

Rumors swirl that the film is too experimental and arthouse, and that not even Ledger's performance could help it find it a wide audience. If the film's plot is difficult to market, how much trickier will it be to sell "Dr. Parnassus" without being exploitative of Ledger's death? It would certainly be far more tragic for his death to be used as a marketing "hook" than for the film to be denied a theatrical release.

Hopefully, American distributors will realize that the appeal of "Dr. Parnassus" isn't just Ledger, but the performances of Depp, Law, and Farrell. Any one of these actors could fill a theater purely on his own appeal, after all. To have such a talented ensemble in one original film should be enough to entice any moviegoer, don't you think?

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Will Heath Ledger's last film, Dr. Parnassus, premiere at Cannes?
Source: SciFi Wire

Heath Ledger's last film, Terry Gilliam's fantastical The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, will in all likelihood debut at the Cannes Film Festival in mid-May, The Hollywood Reporter's Risky Biz blog reported.

The film will be released around in the fall, though there's still no U.S. distributor; a Cannes screening will give media and fans a first look at the movie, which was midway through production when Ledger died unexpectedly in January 2008. Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law all stepped in to play different parts of Ledger's role after the actor died.

The film centers on a traveling carnival that gives patrons more than they bargain for. It's been a lengthy post-production process, with Gilliam (Time Bandits) tweaking it for months.

Skeleton FilmWorks