Blindness

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2008, 12:46:57 AM

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 01, 2008, 06:31:56 PM
"I think that failing to understand each other is a significant problem," he said. "I think that portraying it as associated with blindness is just incorrect."

why hasn't this guy been picketing the publishing company or Borders or Barnes & Nobel stores during the past thirteen years?  i havn't seen the movie, but his accusations certainly seem to apply to the book.  has he even Brailled the book?  blindness was chosen to be the epidemic.  sorry this choice wasn't pc enough for you.  they are imprisoned and living in some kind of hell and really bad shit happens and society falls.  it's not like several ppl suddenly go blind and they turn into monsters and horrible chaos ensues.  should they have gone bald instead, Maurer & friends?  Baldness... that's not bad actually, i'd see that movie.  but seriously, somebody needs to kindly inform this guy that every story or movie that involves the subject doesn't have to be Ray.  and that doesn't make the makers blindcists.     

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 01, 2008, 06:31:56 PM
Blind people and their allies will hand out fliers and carry signs. Among the slogans: "I'm not an actor. But I play a blind person in real life."

this makes me sick.

Alexandro

yeah, this whole pc thing is sickening. people need to stop jerking themselves off to their righteousness...it makes me feel like punching all those whiners in the stomach. there's no room for thought anymore, or interpretation, and therefore for art. it's all about "not offending me, not disturbing me, not bothering me, I'm so sensitive". fuck them.

honestly, i didn't even wanted to see this in the theatre because of the cold reviews, but now I'll pay two tickets just to fuck with these people.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

How did they even hear about this movie if they're blind, am I right??
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Just Withnail

Yeah, they'll probably never even bother seeing it.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

Never in my life have I been less enthusiast about a movie. It's probably the movie I haven't seen that I would see last if I was in a situation where I had to watch every movie ever made.

Pozer

squints

37% on rotten. This is not looking good. I really wanted this movie to be good. But this won't.

Sad faces.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

last days of gerry the elephant

This reminds me of Children of Men. Same shit, different pile.

Quote from: squints on October 04, 2008, 03:41:30 AM
37% on rotten. This is not looking good. I really wanted this movie to be good. But this won't.

Sad faces.

i'm stating the obvious , but go see a movie because you're interested in seeing it, not because the tomatometer is high or low.   i will be seeing this because  it has julianne moore and meirelles and my grandfather told me the story of the book when i was a kid while he was reading it, not because everybody at rt is raving about it . opinions are like assholes filled with shit.
context, context, context.

Gold Trumpet

Meirelles will get me to see this. For whatever reason, good foreign filmmakers are being lured to make end of the world catastrophe movies (The Invasion and Children of Men) so while I don't see this as a true Meirelles project (probably did this to get other more personal project financed), I am curious to see how he handles the subject.

Alexandro

and saramago liked it. so i trust him more than any of those stupid critics. really.

squints

I'm still definitely going to see this.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on October 04, 2008, 11:59:48 AM
Meirelles will get me to see this. For whatever reason, good foreign filmmakers are being lured to make end of the world catastrophe movies (The Invasion and Children of Men) so while I don't see this as a true Meirelles project (probably did this to get other more personal project financed), I am curious to see how he handles the subject.

This is a very personal movie for him. He said so in some interview, and he personally went to a meeting with Saramago (who was refusing offers to make it a movie for years) to convince him, and he says he was so passionate about it that it might have been what convinced the portuguese writer. In his blog about the making of the movie (which is all in portuguese and I'm going to try and translate), he wrote:

"Blindness was published in Brazil around 97 or 98. I've read the book in almost one sitting and for a week, those images e the idea that everything is on the edge kept floating with me. That year, my life was too stable, so I thought that filming that story would be the perfect antidote against that strange sensation of safety that I was feeling.

As an impulse, and without any idea about how to adapt that novel, I called Luis Schwarcz, the brazilian editor of Saramago, and asked him to talk to the author about selling the rights to a movie. The answer came fast: no interest. I absorbed that, bought the rights to City of God and forgot all about it."

Then he talks about how years later some canadian producer sent him the script, and the passion came to life again, full throttle, and he was finally able to make a movie out of it, and about in the end he was happy, because it feels that now is a better moment to make that movie. I hope he's right, because I really love that trailer, I really love Saramago and a great movie can come out of this. Who gives a shit about what critics say, when it got the best criticism it could get, from Saramago himself (a man who's not shy to say what he thinks, whenever he thinks), who loved it. That's good enought for me.
Si

Gold Trumpet

I stand corrected. Thanks for the good info.