Takeshi Miike's "Sukiyaki Western"/ "Django" trailer

Started by pete, January 16, 2008, 02:00:51 PM

w/o horse

So I was trying to coax my girlfriend into buying 1 of the 3 Best Buy editions of this film, with the different covers and special features, when this total asshole comes by and says "Oh you don't want to buy that film, it's horrible" to which I retort "I've seen it.  I saw it in the theaters" which was TMI but I thought that'd end things, only then he looks at my girlfriend with this serious face and continues "Oh you've seen it?  I'm sorry, I just didn't think it was good AT ALL" and I say "Thanks, thanks" and I turn my back to him because that's really enough from random guy at Best Buy as far as our movie purchases are concerned, and when I turn my back to him he starts to say "I didn't mean to. . ." but I cut him off with a "I'm over it" followed by redirecting the conversation to my girlfriend, but at that point I can tell the film's been ruined for her and we're both a little bummed out because of this guy walking around shooting off his opinions about movies.  I wanted to punch him.

So don't do that, what he did, because it's super annoying.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Stefen

I never openly say anything, but when someone is holding up, say, Boondock Saints, Donnie Darko, Shawshank Redemption, Snatch, American History X, Sixth Sense, Gladiator, Matrix, Fight Club, Braveheart, Usual Suspects or even Boondick Saints, and they say to the dumb bitch who they dump their seed into, "This movie is sooooo good. It's fucking awesome." I just sneer, then they go, "Hey, buddy!" and I just keep walking because if I turn around I'll probably get my ass kicked. They got the point, though.

Also, they always say, "BUDDY"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

w/o horse

I'm not as evangelical, though I'm a bit of a missionary.  And I think being a missionary is fine.  I wish the asshole I referred to had been like "Sukiyaki Western Django is shit, but have you seen Imprint?" because that will tell me something about the guy, and that context will lighten his asshole oppressiveness.  I'd think the guy had his preference and he was offering his opinion without provocation.  I'd think the guy was annoyingly genial.  Some people are like that and it's not so bad.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Stefen

He was probably the film buff in his group of friends. The one who goes, "Hey, if you liked Kill Bill, you should check out this Asian film called Old Boy. It's pretty obscure and you might not be able to find it, but if you can, definitely check it out. It's the bees knees."

You should have set him straight to the point where the next time he's asked for a recommendation, he says, "Oh, I don't watch movies anymore."
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

last days of gerry the elephant

When shit like this happens, just be witty and entertain the idiot. If you have the time, play along. And if it's getting too ridiculous, just walk away in the middle of it.

john

When I was in high school, there was a singular occasion in which I was that idiot.

I went to see Bully and in the lobby after the film, some dude was chatting up the popcorn girl. He was throwing mad superlatives regarding the film and he was probably just genuinely enthusiastic, but I just figured he looked

a.) ignorant

b.) desperately trying to get laid

or both.

So I interjected, "Fuck that. I liked this film better when it was called River's Edge."

Which was met, appropriately enough, with blank stares. I was the jerk-off interjecting my opinion on a film they both seemed to enjoy and I've since reexamined the merits of.

Now I leave most peoples opinions relatively alone unless they're my friends and I genuinely believe they should know better, or if they seem like they have the potential to sit with a film a little longer and find some merit in it.

This was cemented a couple years ago... I don't even remember what I was seeing, but I do remember I was seeing it for a second time, taking someone I really cared about to the theater to see it. When I bought the tickets, the guy in the box office tried to dissuade us from seeing the film... saying a lot of people were really unsatisfied with it. This wasn't even at an art-house, where you kinda assume everyone has an opinion and really wants to share it... this is at some small town multiplex. It was incredible... motherfucker actually tried to prevent me from seeing a film I was in love with.

EDIT: To stay, relatively on subject... that Best Buy fella can go fuck himself. I finally got around to watching Sukiyaki a couple months ago - the U.S. cut, at least. I really enjoyed. It was a vacuous fever dream of a film, but splendid to stare at. Every frame of it.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

MacGuffin

Recently at Best Buy, I overheard a guy chatting it up with a BB employee about how terrible Wanted was. How they completely strayed from the comic; the changes were awful; the special effects sucked, etc. That fucker still picked up a DVD. He even had the same conversation with the cashier.  :yabbse-huh:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 08, 2009, 12:06:00 AM
Recently at Best Buy, I overheard a guy chatting it up with a BB employee about how terrible Wanted was. How they completely strayed from the comic; the changes were awful; the special effects sucked, etc. That fucker still picked up a DVD. He even had the same conversation with the cashier.  :yabbse-huh:

hahaha that's great ! I'll steal that story and pass it off as my own in various social situations where I have nothing much to say, thanks.

As far as the movie goes, I'm very disapointed. It tries too hard to be quirky. It's self conscious and that's annoying. Everything that was ironic or cool or whatever felt ''on purpose'' which lessened the effect. In a film like Mad Detective the quirkyness comes very naturally. Not here.