Alicia Widar

Started by Jeremy Blackman, October 03, 2020, 07:09:00 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Randomly recommended by the YouTube algorithm.

Jeremy Blackman

Alright, someone get this girl a mic. She's recording all these videos on a phone.

Her cover of "Down In A Hole" went kinda viral (680k views), so that's probably why I got this rec.

WorldForgot

Soundz sick! And dig the HXH too ~

Jeremy Blackman

She's stunning, honestly.

I have a strong bias towards female vocalists. That's my baseline. Other qualities I prize are unique vocal style and technical prowess. So, you know, singers like Hayley Williams, Elly Jackson, Susanne Sundfor, etc. I think Alicia Widar has that potential. Her vocal control is incredible, and I think I've yet to hear a single missed note.

She is channeling some real pathos in her recent covers. And there's a lot of subtle emotion in the "Linger" cover. (Hot take: The Cranberries' studio version of that song is a bit emotionally limp, which is strange considering the gut-punch that "Zombie" is.) I also like how she adds an Avril Lavigne-style flourish to "is that the way we stand."

Her "Say It Ain't So" cover (below) was posted a year ago.

WorldForgot

Alicia Widar spotted liking a Chaebae pic ~  a great bias, and she might not cover Twice but dope to know we're once.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Jeremy Blackman

A grunge kpop cover would definitely be something.

Jeremy Blackman

Well, looks like "Down In A Hole" passed 1 million views. Wow.

Just want to highlight these 2 covers she did a year or two ago.

Each day that passes without Alicia Widar having access to a studio is a crime against humanity.

Jeremy Blackman

WorldForgot

Although there's still artifacts in her recordings, i appreciate the slight mixing on the acoustics in her room. Unless this is a touched up mp3, you can hear a lot of space in vocals without that reverb overtaking the guitar.

Jeremy Blackman

Actually yeah I made that clip in Logic Pro. I added a gentle reverb with mild modulation. And gain. Didn't do EQ or anything else, though. Alicia adds reverb to some of her videos as well. It just helps add clarity to compensate for the recording situation.

This clip in particular is probably a decent approximation of what she might sound like in a studio. In other videos the guitar can overpower a bit. In this one the guitar is understated and she really projects her voice.

(The original performance is here; it's not that different.)

WorldForgot

Ahh makes sense!

Here's hoping she does go for an album -- whether its covers or originalz would be interesting.

Jeremy Blackman

She mentioned somewhere that she has written some original songs but isn't sure about them yet, but that she would eventually like to record original songs in a studio. I have no idea when that would be, since she seems to be in absolutely no rush to capitalize on the success of her viral video. (Which is good.)

Jeremy Blackman

This, as they say, is a banger. Glissando in the last minute is on point.

Cover and original: