Know Your Xixax: Donation begging and site news

Started by Xixax, December 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Bethie on December 06, 2020, 06:13:51 PM
Do we still take donations to keep xixax going? How/where can I donate. Y'all were in my dream the other night and I want to give a donation to keep this on air.

BETHIE

Yes, we accept donations and I would appreciate that greatly!

http://paypal.me/xixax

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Gold Trumpet

I made a donation. Well over due. Count me in for a yearly donation to help keep this thing going.

Kal

Been a while. Good to see so many people active here. I was pretty shocked when I went into my profile and saw that I joined 18 years ago. That's a real number.

Hope everyone is doing well. And healthy. And vaccinated. Xixax forever.

wilberfan

Quote from: Kal on May 16, 2021, 04:14:40 PM
Been a while. Good to see so many people active here. I was pretty shocked when I went into my profile and saw that I joined 18 years ago. That's a real number.

Hope everyone is doing well. And healthy. And vaccinated. Xixax forever.

We never met, but welcome back.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Jeremy Blackman

jenkins

simply to respond in a conversational manner

Quote from: wilder on July 01, 2021, 08:25:30 PM
Quote from: wilder on July 01, 2021, 07:42:41 PMI'm going to split this post and create a dedicated Altered Innocence thread in the other subform. Only thing keeping this place from becoming reddit now is context.

Quote from: jenkins on July 01, 2021, 07:56:29 PM
can this live in News and Theory?

I'm open to an argument for it but I guess I don't really understand. The format of this board having individual threads for new releases seems to work well.

the context of Altered Innocence itself permits conversations that extend beyond dvd parameters, in fact dvd is an outmoded term as we all know, what I mean is that they reach beyond physical media

QuoteThis brings up the whole is it a [Brand] Movie or a Movie being released by [Brand]? A24 as a study in [Brand] eventually usurping authorship.

branding isn't a thing I'm into. Altered Innocence releases movies that I like but don't appeal to a large population. it was simply a way to collect together movies that interest me but won't individually foster large conversations

QuoteI still like the idea of authorship of a movie, that's me being old-fashioned, but I know if I made something I'd hope it could be framed as a thing apart from a continuous content release chain. The catalog stuff already had its day in the sun, came out on its own terms apart from the [Brand], so I figured dedicated threads in The Grapevine or This Year In Film for new releases, and catalog titles in a dedicated Altered Innocence thread as they're being highlighted (again).

it's not a framing device for the merits of the movie it's an organizational device on a movie forum. I had seen LA Plays Itself the night before and simply it wouldn't be relevant to DVD Talk at this time, was on my mind

QuoteThe benefits of curation by said [Brand] definitely come into play here and I'm all for that that's cool, but then if we're outsourcing curation to the [Brand] anyway why post?

It's not the curation I'm thinking about it's conversation. you post for conversation

QuoteClearly overthinking this but it does bug me. At the end of the day it's the internet and who cares. You do you, I'll do me.

there was a lot on your mind but it was cool, didn't bother me. I adjusted the title to find a way to satisfy both our perspectives without burning down the thread

Jeremy Blackman

We do need a new name for DVD Talk. Suggestions welcome!

As for the other stuff, I think it's subjective and don't have a strong opinion on it.

wilder

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMIt's not the curation I'm thinking about it's conversation. you post for conversation

Right. This is the crux. I was being dumb in the way I described my perspective. We're disagreeing about how conversation happens here, I think.

I see the difference between Xixax and other sites being that this forum allows conversations to evolve across time, over years even, beyond the day or week of a post. We can go back to The Vault and find discussions on films that span decades - the threads are there and easy to follow even if people aren't discovering films at the same time (i.e. you saw LA Plays Itself in theaters but for many access won't happen until the end of the year when there's a disc or streaming release).

That format also works as a discovery system for movies years after they pass out of vogue. You can run a search and go "I've never heard of this movie, what are people here saying about it?" (as I have many times) vs. "this movie has two posts about it in a thread about 30 movies. Nevermind." That seems to be a giant reason to post here, beyond the small community that keeps coming back. In fact, people keep returning I think because they can jump right back in due to the board's organization. If this site becomes as 24-hour time-dependent as other social media, jumping back into it becomes less possible.

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMAltered Innocence releases movies that I like but don't appeal to a large population. it was simply a way to collect together movies that interest me but won't individually foster large conversations

While I understand your pov, these threads containing multiple trailers and posts for movies that don't have much to do with each other apart from their distributor don't make sense to me as bases for even small discussion, since conversation is unlikely to sustain beyond the day or week or month those posts happen. After three, four films are in the thread, if you want to respond or talk about one that was four films or posts back, there's endless quoting to make sense of which is being talked about and it generally becomes a roadblock to discussion about those films over time if people discover the thread or movie, later.

There's the Random DVD and Blu-Ray Announcements Thread, the Criterion Thread, I Just Bought... etc for new release announcements, which is what I thought you were doing with Altered Innocence.

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMthe context of Altered Innocence itself permits conversations that extend beyond dvd parameters, in fact dvd is an outmoded term as we all know, what I mean is that they reach beyond physical media

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMI had seen LA Plays Itself the night before and simply it wouldn't be relevant to DVD Talk at this time, was on my mind

I think we've come to understand the DVD subforum as a general Home Video or (new) catalog release forum. Part of the confusion here, too, is that while a minority of Altered Innocence repertory titles will play theatrically, like the one you saw, their ultimate destination, for the most part, is disc, streaming, or VOD.

I'm clearly guilty as hell for posting disc announcements that aren't necessarily fostering discussion in that multi-movie-thread format. My reason being that I discovered a lot of movies when I first came here circa 2002 or 2003 by seeing the titles samsong, Ghostboy, and godardian were posting about - it was the first time I became aware that many existed, and their highlighting them was a massive part of my initial film education. Trying to carry that torch and keep the titles visible after their announcements vanish from the daily news cycle - something that is probably wholly unnecessary now with the advent of databases like blu-ray.com and letterboxd's lists.

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMbranding isn't a thing I'm into. Altered Innocence releases movies that I like but don't appeal to a large population. it was simply a way to collect together movies that interest me but won't individually foster large conversations

If you like the format of the umbrella thread for discussion, by all means, I'm just confused about why you wouldn't make a post about LA Plays Itself with the new topic button in The Vault, or put it in the 'adults films' thread you created - since that would seem to be a more logical organizational device, as you said.

jenkins

simply to further develop the dimensionality of perspective through conversation with one of my dearest internet friends

Quote from: wilder on July 02, 2021, 06:31:46 PM
Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMIt's not the curation I'm thinking about it's conversation. you post for conversation

Right. This is the crux. I was being dumb in the way I described my perspective. We're disagreeing about how conversation happens here, I think.

you're not being dumb, I'll tell you that. and I don't think we'll disagree much in the long haul. a stepping stone here is the relocation ascribed the thread to me in a place where I didn't feel I would put it, and when you think of the thread from your perspective it's not the same as when I think about the thread from my perspective, as we're witnessing

QuoteI see the difference between Xixax and other sites being that this forum allow conversations to evolve across time, over years even, beyond the day or week of a post. We can go back to The Vault and find discussions on films that span decades - the threads are there and easy to follow even if people aren't discovering films at the same time (i.e. you saw LA Plays Itself in theaters but for many access won't happen until the end of the year when there's a disc or streaming release).

they can definitely evolve that way and that's a beautiful thought

QuoteThat format also works as a discovery system for movies years after they pass out of vogue. You can run a search and go "I've never heard of this movie, what are people here saying about it?" (as I have many times) vs. "this movie has two posts about it in a thread about 30 movies. Nevermind." That seems to be a giant reason to post here, beyond the small community that keeps coming back. In fact, people keep returning I think because they can jump right back in due to the board's organization. If this site becomes as 24-hour time-dependent as other social media, jumping back into it becomes less possible.

totally

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMAltered Innocence releases movies that I like but don't appeal to a large population. it was simply a way to collect together movies that interest me but won't individually foster large conversations

While I understand your pov, these threads containing multiple trailers and posts for movies that don't have much to do with each other apart from their distributor don't make sense to me as bases for even small discussion, since conversation is unlikely to sustain beyond the day or week or month those posts happen. After three, four films are in the thread, if you want to respond or talk about one that was four films or posts back, there's endless quoting to make sense of which is being talked about and it generally becomes a roadblock to discussion about those films over time if people discover the thread or movie, later.

There's the Random DVD and Blu-Ray Announcements Thread, the Criterion Thread, I Just Bought... etc for new release announcements, which is what I thought you were doing with Altered Innocence.

I also made the Dragon Dynasty thread, and I like going back there and remembering those days. I like how they're collected together, and what they represent. there are different kinds of conversations expressed in different ways I think. absolutely: single movies that can inspire grand conversation, we hope that happens, may they, though so often the most interesting movies are being overshadowed by the most popular, we two know this so well, wilder. Dragon Dynasty was physical media distribution, and criterion is physical media distribution. the corollary for each would be if there was a Miramax or Janus thread, I would expect those to be in News and Theory. when I imagine things

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMthe context of Altered Innocence itself permits conversations that extend beyond dvd parameters, in fact dvd is an outmoded term as we all know, what I mean is that they reach beyond physical media

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMI had seen LA Plays Itself the night before and simply it wouldn't be relevant to DVD Talk at this time, was on my mind

I think we've come to understand the DVD subforum as a general Home Video or (new) catalog release forum. Part of the confusion here, too, is that while a minority of Altered Innocence repertory titles will play theatrically, like the one you saw, their ultimate destination, for the most part, is disc, streaming, or VOD.

it's not only going to be the destination for many movies it's going to be the starting point. the whole world of VOD is flowering now. which applies to not just Altered Innocence movies but any movie with distribution rights

I'm clearly guilty as hell for posting disc announcements that aren't necessarily fostering discussion in that multi-movie-thread format. My reason being that I discovered a lot of movies when I first came here circa 2002 or 2003 by seeing the titles samsong, Ghostboy, and godardian were posting about - it was the first time I became aware that many existed, and their highlighting them was a massive part of my initial film education. Trying to carry that torch and keep the titles visible after their announcements vanish from the daily news cycle.[/quote[

nice

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 05:38:44 PMbranding isn't a thing I'm into. Altered Innocence releases movies that I like but don't appeal to a large population. it was simply a way to collect together movies that interest me but won't individually foster large conversations

If you like the format of the umbrella thread for discussion, by all means, I'm just confused about why you wouldn't make a post about LA Plays Itself with the new topic button in The Vault, or put it in the 'adults films' thread you created - since that would seem to be a more logical organizational device, as you said.

yeah, my LA Plays Itself post is in the adult movie thread. that's where it is. adult movies are kind of tricky to inspire conversation so an Altered Innocence thread was another means of organization. I wouldn't start a thread for it because it'll sit there alone and nonreplied rather than be among friends. which isn't the only way to look at things but it's a way I look at some things sometimes

wilder

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 06:56:58 PMwhen you think of the thread from your perspective it's not the same as when I think about the thread from my perspective, as we're witnessing

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 06:56:58 PMI also made the Dragon Dynasty thread, and I like going back there and remembering those days. I like how they're collected together, and what they represent. Dragon Dynasty was physical media distribution, and criterion is physical media distribution. the corollary for each would be if there was a Miramax or Janus thread, I would expect those to be in News and Theory. when I imagine things

Gotcha. I thought of Altered Innocence as a home video distributor first and foremost. But you're right they're just a distributor. Like Janus or Miramax. Janus put out Revanche and also put out The Rules of the Game. Miramax put out Pulp Fiction but also The Three Colors Trilogy.

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 06:56:58 PMadult movies are kind of tricky to inspire conversation so an Altered Innocence thread was another means of organization. I wouldn't start a thread for it because it'll sit there alone and nonreplied rather than be among friends.

I see what you're saying. At the end of the day I'm being rigid and you're right this is about a community and a history of a community at a certain time and place more than a fucking reference guide. As anyone looking in would see, I don't have as much energy to talk about films anymore, and you're the one doing it, so whatever format that fosters that is the right one.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wilder on July 02, 2021, 06:31:46 PMThat format also works as a discovery system for movies years after they pass out of vogue. You can run a search and go "I've never heard of this movie, what are people here saying about it?" (as I have many times) vs. "this movie has two posts about it in a thread about 30 movies. Nevermind." That seems to be a giant reason to post here, beyond the small community that keeps coming back. In fact, people keep returning I think because they can jump right back in due to the board's organization. If this site becomes as 24-hour time-dependent as other social media, jumping back into it becomes less possible.

I love this description and fully agree. And I still don't understand why forums at large started discouraging posting in old threads. That makes sense for tech communities, where a thread's relevance expires, but obviously not for movies. That POV is so pervasive that our very own forum software warns you if you're posting in an inactive thread. Please, everyone, ignore that warning. "Necro"-ing threads is highly encouraged.

Quote from: jenkins on July 02, 2021, 06:56:58 PMI wouldn't start a thread for it because it'll sit there alone and nonreplied rather than be among friends. which isn't the only way to look at things but it's a way I look at some things sometimes

This is a very good point and something I struggle with at times. The "I've been watching" threads or the Horror thread are sometimes better for a less important thing that's unlikely to spawn much discussion. If I'm very passionate about a movie, I might start a new thread for it and ignore those concerns. It's a subjective judgement.

jenkins

god if i started a thread for every movie i felt passionate about, well i think you can imagine the spread. i employ passionate casual conversations with my internet movie friends through a variety of methods, it's all important to me and some hit better than others