E Elias Merhige

Started by Chest Rockwell, April 11, 2004, 09:22:04 AM

Chest Rockwell

I just watched his first film, Begotten, last night. Man it was wierd; just in the first twenty minutes of the film we see a man kill himself by what-looks-like ripping out his stomach and stabbing it/himself repeatedly, and then he defecates all over himself. Then a woman is suddenly borne from his death. She walks around a bit, clutching her chest, and then coaxes the dead man to ejaculate on her, and she rubs it all into her, um, parts. I guess what happens afterward is the birth of this other man who is followed for the rest of the film. It was shot in a strangely beautiful, yet ambiguous and in many areas revolting, way. No dialogue.

He also directed Shadow of the Vampire, a film I really liked, though I'm sure most everyone here has seen it already, so I won't go into it.

cine

Quote from: Chest RockwellHe also directed Shadow of the Vampire, a film I really liked, though I'm sure most everyone here has seen it already, so I won't go into it.
Seen it. Loved it.

Chest Rockwell

Just to show off the photography from Begotten, here're some screenshot:

This is the man disemboweling himself/stabbing his stomach in the beginning. In the end credits he's credited as 'God disemboweling himself'.

This is a procession of hooded figures that revere the son of the woman (some sort of goddess, I think).

Er...a hand?

Ghostboy

Is Suspect Zero ever actually going to come out?

My funny E Elias Merhige story is this: back before Shadow Of The Vampire got released, a friend and I went to a screening of it that he was at. After it was over, we wanted to go talk to him, like everyone else, but we didn't want to come off as rabid brown nosers, as we were sure everyone else there was. We tried to think of something particularly insightful which we could discuss with him -- a peer-to-peer conversation was what we desired, a discussion with a fellow filmmaker (a quest for personal validation weighed heavily in our quest, I'm sure). So when we talked to him, we asked him about the lighting in one particular scene, which both I and my friend had noticed as being peculiarly underlit. I think we meant to ask him if it was a problem with the print, or if there was a funny story behind it (like they ran out of time or something), but I think we ended up coming across as two pretentious A-holes accusing him of something because he got really defensive and started talking about how they had NO MONEY and basically lit the entire movie with flashlights. My friend and I nodded and walked away, slightly annoyed at his attitude. Flashlights, we said to each other -- how naive does he think we are? We retired to the bar.

cine

modage

i didnt care for Shadow of the Vampire.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02i didnt care for Shadow of the Vampire.
..yeah ..i watched about half of it and turned it off...sad really, b/c i like dafoe.and malkovich...and the title is semi-clever..

but if memory serves me right doesn't  E.Elias merhige look like 3/4's of the group poison???(blonde hair ones) ........

context, context, context.

Weak2ndAct

Didn't like Shadow of the Vampire, though this 'Begotten' looks mighty interesting... is this getable?  

Suspect Zero was one of those famous scripts that always attracted big talent but could never quite come together.  Now that it has been done, I heard that a lot of changes were made and the final product is a little stinky :|

Stefen

They filmed most of suspect zero right by my house in Albuquerque New Mexico. We would always see Kingsley. He's really small.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Quote from: Weak2ndActis this getable?  

yep.
context, context, context.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: cronopio

.....ah-ha!! so my memory does serve me right...put some lipstick on that guy and BOOM !!! perfect match.....he would look just like the guy on the bottom left of that poison cd.........

thanks for the pic...Crono.......

oh,  talk dirty to me.........merhige.........