Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

WorldForgot

Hoping he does write and publish that pamphplet. To me he does appear more spirited now than during the House that Jack Built, at least still curious about form and loved hearing his current feelings on literature + time cuts.

Robyn

Yeah, really good interview!

Loved his take on Twin Peaks and dramaturgy... you could probably apply that to the Lost discussion that was happening in the shout box yesterday. :P Also that Lynch anecodote was hilarious lol 

I'm enjoying the more humorous tone he's going for nowadays... nymphomaniac, the house that jack built and now the kingdom again.

Did Little Brother die in The Kingdom? That's what we need in 2021!

Robyn

Some new danish actors got announced (along with some old favorites from the first seasons) and "a few international stars will follow soon". Perhaps there will be an American equivalent of Ernst-Hugo Järegård? Not sure how it would work without the Sweden/Denmark dynamic, but could be fun

Spoiler: ShowHide
if they cast Willem Dafoe.

Edit: the actors
QuoteBodil Jørgensen, Ghita Nørby, Nicolas Bro, Peter Mygind och Søren Pilmark

Robyn

Also "Riget Exodus should be watched as an stand-along season"

Robyn

https://feber.se/film/kandistatt-i-lars-von-triers-riket-exodus/429079/

Google translated:

QuoteNow it is clear which of the actors I will get roles in the third season of Lars von Trier's TV series about Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen.

Mikael Persbrandt will get the role of Helmer Jr. who is the son of Stig-Helmer, the Danish-hating doctor who was played by Ernst-Hugo Järegård in the first two seasons of the series. Other Swedes who appear in roles in the Kingdom of Exodus are Ida Engvoll as a hacker, Tuva Novotny as a doctor and Alexander Skarsgård as a lawyer.

Alethia

On My 25 Years in Lars von Trier's World

Siobhan Fallon Hogan on her ongoing collaboration with the Danish auteur, including his company Zentropa producing her latest movie, Rushed.

I have worked as an actress for more than 30 years, in movies like Men in Black and Forrest Gump, and TV shows such as Saturday Night Live and Seinfeld. People who know me for my comedy work may not realize, however, that I have acted in three Lars von Trier films over the past 20 years: Dancer in the Dark, Dogville and The House That Jack Built.

I first gained entry into Lars' world when casting director Avy Kaufman saw me play Phoebe in As You Like It (opposite Elizabeth McGovern's Rosalind) in Shakespeare in the Park in New York. She took a chance on me and called me in for the very serious role of Brenda the prison guard in Dancer in the Dark, starring Björk, which ended up winning the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. I had two young kids at the time and my four-year-old, Bernadette, had an ear infection that kept me up all night before the audition. I was so exhausted that I was able to cry on command and got the role!

When I arrived in Denmark, Lars invited me to his home to discuss my role. I had been fascinated with prison guards since my father, who was a lawyer in Upstate New York, had defended a prison guard from Auburn Correctional Facility who'd had a nervous breakdown after working in the high-security prison. I'd thought a lot about how hard it would be to work in a prison and pondered why someone would choose a job working with such dangerous people. My character Brenda ends up loving her prisoner, and I wondered what it would be like to go from terrified to compassionate.

Lars' writing for women is superb and he has a fantastic sense of humor, so we immediately hit it off. On set, he lets the camera roll and brings out the best performances from every actor. He runs his set like a play, where the crew members are just as important as the actors. I learned so much from working with Lars, producer Vibeke Windeløv, and Lars' producing partner Peter Aalbæk Jensen, namely that passion for the story is much more important than money or fame.

A few years after Dancer in the Dark, Lars cast me in his next feature, Dogville. Working on that film was magical. We started shooting four months after 9/11. I had a three-month-old, a three-year-old and a six-year-old and Vibeke Windeløv used to hold my baby so I could eat breakfast. We all lived in a big inn in Sweden. I became great friends with Lauren Bacall, who was brilliantly funny. Stellan Skarsgård and Paul Bettany were hilarious, and the legendary Ben Gazzara was also part of our amazing cast. Everyone was still in shock from 9/11 and sat around a huge table every night, drinking. Because of my kids, I could only go up to "the table" once a week – it was honestly fantastic, with all the different personalities from all over the world. While Lars was shooting, Ben, Lauren and I were on set and were supposed to be improvising dialogue, but instead were like sixth graders in a school play, talking about anything but the dialogue. One time, we were laughing so hard over some ridiculous story that we were whispering to one another that we must have ruined the shot ... Can you imagine?! We had to be separated, like kids. Lars, of course, just laughed.

Every time I ever left one of Lars' sets, I knew I would be back again; I have this weird sixth sense – they call it "Irish Fay." When I returned to do The House That Jack Built, it was my third time working with Lars. I adored my part, playing one of the women that Matt Dillon's character murders, and loved reuniting with the crew, especially Peter Aalbæk Jensen.

A year later, I went to Cannes for the premiere of The House That Jack Built; walking down the red carpet with Lars on my right and Matt on my left was like a dream. Lars got a seven-minute standing ovation before and after the film. He had not been to Cannes in several years and it was a beautiful welcome back from the audience. It was extremely moving and I was so happy for Lars, because he is a genius and a beautiful person and I truly adore him.

Three years ago, I wrote Rushed, a thriller that tells the story of a mom in Upstate New York who goes toe to toe with a frat boy after her son is involved in a hazing incident. The inspiration for the story came from my own experience lying in bed, worried sick about my kids when they were off at college. When they didn't answer their cell phones late at night, my mind used to go to the worst places imaginable. Because of my long working relationship with Lars, naturally, I sent the script for Rushed to a few producer friends at Lars' production company, Zentropa. They read the script, loved it and were all in to co-produce. I was thrilled!

I then called every friend I loved to work with and started to cast the film. Robert Patrick, who I have acted opposite a number of times over the years, read the script and agreed to play my husband. I had also worked with Jake Weary from Animal Kingdom and my dear friend Peri Gilpin, who signed on to be in the film too. Avy Kaufman, the casting director who first cast me in Dancer in the Dark, cast the rest of the roles. My kids are in the film too!

The people in my town of Rumson, New Jersey, were beyond generous and housed crew members for free. I brought on Vibeke Muasya from Denmark to direct, who was suggested to me by Vibeke Windeløv, and she did a brilliant job! Our editor was Sabine Emiliani, who previously cut March of the Penguins and a movie I did with Johnny Depp, The Professor. Matthias Schubert, a brilliant cinematographer who I had worked with on a horror movie called The Shed, joined us too.

I'd learned from working with Lars to treat the crew and cast equally and for us all to be united by a common goal. There are no divas, no above-the-line or below-the-line on Lars' sets. I treated people the way I would want to be treated and we all had a fabulous time. I followed the Zentropa way.

When I was set to return to Copenhagen for the sound edit, Peter Aalbaek Jensen said, "Siobhan, you will stay on my houseboat when you are here for the edit. My 23-year-old daughter will be there too." I said, "OK, Peter, I love that – but I may baptize her when I come in some night!" (He knows I am a crazy Catholic.) He said, "Let me know how that goes." Sadly, because of the pandemic, I ended up doing the sound remotely with the brilliant Kristian Eidnes Andersen and Thomas Jaeger.

Since finishing Rushed, I have written another film, Shelter in Solitude, which follows a faith-filled wannabe country singer and her unconventional relationship, and most of the crew from Rushed is coming back to make it. (Robert Patrick will play my brother this time!) We will start filming at the end of September in Upstate New York, in Syracuse and in my hometown of Cazenovia.

Rushed opened in theaters across the USA and in Europe on August 27, and can be streamed on all the major digital platforms. (I am a technical disaster, so I wouldn't know how to download a film if you paid me! I love watching films old-style in a theater.) With this film, I took all I've learned over the course of my career, put pen to the page, raised money, hired friends and now Rushed is out in the world – it is a miracle! I am so grateful, especially to Lars for all the opportunities and showing me how to run a set where story always overrides ego!

https://www.talkhouse.com/on-my-25-years-in-lars-von-triers-world/

Robyn

wilder

Robyn

Alethia

OH DEATH WHERE IS THY STING???

So excited to once again have to take the Good with the Evil 🤘🏻

wilder

'The Kingdom Exodus': MUBI Acquires Lars Von Trier's Third And Final Season Of His TV Show Ahead Of Its Venice 2022 Premiere
The Playlist

Late last month, Lars Von Trier fans got their first peek at the third and final season of his TV series "The Kingdom Exodus." It's Von Trier's first project since 2018's divisive serial killer film "The House That Jack Built," and the first season of "The Kingdom" since 1997. And now, after its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival, it will stream exclusively on the global streamer MUBI.

MUBI snagged distribution rights for "Exodus" for North America, the UK and Ireland, Latin America, Turkey, and India after it premieres out of competition at the Venice Lido. No word on when MUBI begins to stream the show, but expect it sometime this Fall. And that's not all: MUBI will also stream remastered, extended director's cuts of the first two seasons of "The Kingdom" concurrently with "Exodus." The new cuts feature never-before-seen footage, big news for fans of a show that hasn't been available to watch for quite a while.

Here's an official synopsis for "The Kingdom Exodus":

Heavily influenced by the ghostly series The Kingdom, the sleepwalker Karen seeks answers to the unresolved questions of the series in order to save the hospital from doom. Sound asleep one night, Karen wanders into the darkness and inexplicably ends up in front of the hospital. The gate to the Kingdom is opening once more...

Drenk

Ascension.

Alethia

wilder

Mubi Acquires 11 Lars Von Trier Films In North America, Sets Remastered 'The Idiots' For Theatrical Release
Deadline

Mubi has acquired 11 films by Lars von Trier for North America, including the director's Dogme 95 entry The Idiots. It will release a new uncut 4K restoration of the film June 16 theatrically timed to its 25th anniversary, followed by an exclusive streaming release.

Other titles, most newly restored, include Dogville (2003), The Five Obstructions (2003), Manderlay (2005), The Boss of it All (2006), Breaking the Waves (1996), the Europa Trilogy (The Element of Crime, Epidemic, Europa), Antichrist (2009) and Dancer in the Dark (2000). Some are streaming on Mubi now, others will roll out on through September 2025.

Mubi acquired new restorations of von Trier series, The Kingdom Seasons 1 and 2, along with its latest season, The Kingdom Exodus in 2022.

TrustNordisk brokered the deal with Mubi.

The Idiots, which premiered at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival, was made under the Dogme 95 school started by von Trier and other Danish filmmakers. It centers on a commune, whose members aim to disrupt bourgeois society by spontaneously feigning physical or mental disabilities in public. The darkly comic film was censored when it was released. It's been remaster by Zentropa Post Production.

wilder

On Mubi July 7th

QuoteCelebrating it's 25th anniversary, next month MUBI is proud to present a brand new, 4K restoration of THE IDIOTS. Lars von Trier's only feature made under the Dogme 95 "Vows of Chastity", THE IDIOTS centers on a Danish commune whose members aim to disrupt bourgeois society by spontaneously feigning physical or mental disabilities in public — including a new recruit (Bodil Jørgensen) motivated by a secret sorrow.

Previously censored upon release, this darkly comic and ultimately devastating film is now presented restored and uncut, as a highly provocative work which contemplates the very value of provocation.