All The King's Men

Started by MacGuffin, April 25, 2006, 12:38:30 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: September 22, 2006

Cast: Sean Penn (Willie Stark), Jude Law (Jack Burden), Kate Winslet (Anne Stanton), Mark Ruffalo (Adam Stanton), Anthony Hopkins (Judge Irwin), Patricia Clarkson (Sadie Burke), James Gandolfini (Tiny Duffy), Kathy Baker (Mrs. Burden), Paul Ben-Victor (Lucas)

Director: Steven Zaillian (A Civil Action, Searching for Bobby Fischer)

Screenwriter: Steven Zaillian (The Interpreter, Oscar-winner for Schlinder's List)

Premise: An idealistic southern politician who appeals to the common man whilst effectively playing dirty politics slowly becomes corrupted by the system.

Based Upon: The second film adaptation of Robert Penn Warren's novel 'All the King's Men,' which was loosely based on the life of Louisiana senator Huey P. Long. The first version, 1949's All the King's Men, starred Broderick Crawford and was directed by Robert Rosen. It won 3 Oscars including "Best Picture."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

sean penn's performance reminds me of howard dean.

Chest Rockwell

'King's Men' Director Feels "Like Getting Hit by a Truck"

Oscar-winning screenwriter (Schindler's List) and director Steve Zaillian was clearly stunned by the critical and box-office failure of his latest film, All the King's Men, which opened with only $3.8 million in its debut and fell out of the top-ten in its second weekend. Zaillian told today's (Tuesday) Los Angeles Times that it was "like getting hit by a truck. ... I don't know what to make of it." Zaillian says he was particularly taken aback by the reaction of critics to his film about a Southern politician in the mold of Louisiana's Huey Long. "Maybe down the road I'll figure it out," he told the Times. "We're all a bit shellshocked. I feel like Huey Long must have felt -- you try to do good and they shoot you for it." Zaillian pointed out that studios are generally reluctant to finance a movie like King's Men. "It's dangerous for a studio to do financially," Zaillian said. "The reason to do it from the studio's standpoint is a good one -- because they believe in it in terms of the story."

Ravi

Man Hit by Truck feels like 'King's Men' Director