Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Fernando

HOLY FUCK!

SPOILS S05E13

now that's a br ba episode, holy shit.

when he got to the place and realized he was played I kept thinking how the hell can he get away with it, then it was obvious Jack's crew had to go there, oh man how can an episode end like that, it's going to be a loooooooong wait for next week's.

Hank is done right? they are outnumbered and not heavy armed, also hank's call to Marie sounded like a goodbye call.

my only complaint would be that Huell bit the hook too easy but its a very minor complaint.

next week's according to Vince Gilligan is ''probably'' the best ep of the series. cant. fucking. wait.

Jeremy Blackman

The most brutal cliffhanger of the entire series. It hurts even worse because of how sparingly they use cliffhangers.

As for what happens immediately next, my gut says that Walt will have to win and lose in some combination that really eats away at his soul. I mean look where we are in the final season; it's certainly time for that next step.

The best way to achieve that is for Hank to die, obviously. Hank dies and Jesse escapes. It's like modage said; Jesse is perhaps a few rungs above Hank on the moral ladder, and the show is not interested in punishing him. It's Hank's time; they've given him his heroic moment. And dying in a gunfight with Nazis... well, there are certainly less honorable ways to go.

They also gave him that goodbye phone call to Marie, which I immediately thought was his death sentence. It was almost too obvious, right? So what if they subvert that expectation? I don't know, that would be annoying, and it seems impractical. If Hank wins the gunfight, how does Walt get out of handcuffs? Does Saul lawyer him out of jail? That would be dumb. Stakes need to be high right now, and big things need to happen.

If Jack's gang is wiped out, that erases a conflict that was just being set up (Walt being potentially indentured to them). I suppose this could happen, but the "surprise" would simply cut that thread off, which is a bit anticlimactic.

So these are the most obvious pieces of foreshadowing from the final minutes:

- Hank's victory moment and "I love you" phone call, both just dripping with finality.
- Jesse gets out of the car and looks like he's going to engage.

They seem to make a point (visually) that Jack's shooters don't see Jesse. It's quite possible that Jesse will call upon his infamous marksmanship and kill him some Nazis.

So what's the endgame? Are they really going to turn Walter White fully into the antagonist, as promised? This is honestly an open question. Before he ordered the hit on Jesse, they had been pulling back a bit. And now he would rather protect Hank than save himself. So are they going to go all the way or not? This question will probably be answered in the next episode.

Hank certainly isn't the protagonist destined to face off against Walt as antagonist. He got his victory through deception. Obviously it would be Jesse, but they need to move him a few steps closer as well. (This is why he might fire a few shots before escaping, so he doesn't look like a "coward.") A Jesse/Walt faceoff seems destined. That in my opinion would be the best way to end the show.

If Hank and Jesse both survive the gunfight, I will be massively disappointed. Of course they are the two most likable characters, but this is about narrative satisfaction. It's time.

Lottery

Man, heart-attacks all round near the end. I knew it that even when Walt called it off, the rednecks would still come. I have a bad feeling that Hank and Gomie may not make it through. Perhaps the M60 will be used to take out the rednecks (speculating once again) as vengance (for the death of Hank/Jesse/misc family) or something (then Walt ricins himself, classic) heheheh. That said it would be kinda odd if the next episode started off with Hank and Gomie dying. It's all up in the air, who knows.

But seriously Hank's phonecall with Marie totally sounded like a goodbye. I was about to explode because I was expecting a gunshot to ring out or something. One of the goodguys (everyone who isn't a redneck or Lydia) has to die by the next episode.

It is actually not right to have these episodes a week apart. I will spend the next week twitching and agonising over the next episode.

Fernando

the only satisfying way I think for Hank to survive one or two more episodes is that he ends up running out of ammo and Walt convinces Jack (for the time being) to spare him.

Jeremy Blackman

No, I think big things are going to be happening quickly now. Check out the title of Episode 15. There's only one episode before that.

Lottery

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 09, 2013, 12:53:26 AM
No, I think big things are going to be happening quickly now. Check out the title of Episode 15. There's only one episode before that.

Yeah, it's really coming to an end. Scary. I think Vince Gilligan said next week's episode is the best, I imagine very, very important events will occur.
Sidenote: I think Rian Johnson probably did one of the trippiest but emotionally wow episodes of the show (Fly).

jenkins

don't watch the show and it's textured, i can't spoil or guess anything. into this as an artifact and because it's to the final point of everyone's interest. i get excited with my friends, you know

as jb linked above, i read the episode titles. i refuse to guess, to the credit of creators and fans, that the last episode's title is an anagram. get outta town. surprising to me is the best and most consistent guess for the title is . marty robbins! whenever i want to imagine cowboys i listen to marty robbins

how are the lyrics convertible for the show's watchers?

Fernando

I just realized that Marie for once isn't wearing purple, she's wearing black....that cant be a coincidence can it?

Brando

That was so intense. The entire episode just kept building and building. Everything after Walt reaches To'hajiilee was incredible television.

Quote from: ©brad on September 09, 2013, 12:08:41 AM
Lots of people predicting Hank is a goner because of his goodbye phone call to Marie but I don't think so. If Hank was going to be killed in this shootout it would make more sense dramatically to kill him at the end of this episode, make it more of a shocker.

I thought the same thing. It doesn't seem right for them to set it up for Hank to be killed and give him his hero/goodbye moment then delay his death to the first few minutes of the next episode. It makes me think the standoff ends with Walt negotiating a cease fire.

Fuck the Saul Goodman spinoff idea. I want a spinoff of a Todd and Lydia romance.

Quote from: Fernando on September 09, 2013, 01:49:33 AM
I just realized that Marie for once isn't wearing purple, she's wearing black....that cant be a coincidence can it?

I didn't catch that but Breaking Bad has put so much focus on the appearance of their characters that I would agree that it can't be a coincidence.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

jenkins

hmm. based on what i'm reading, including the song: marie ends the show and no one saw that coming

Pubrick

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on September 09, 2013, 02:32:07 AM
hmm. based on what i'm reading, including the song: marie ends the show and no one saw that coming

what the hell are you talking about man?
under the paving stones.

jenkins

a show i don't watch and an ending that might not be possible. you could just say "you sound ridiculous, that's not possible"

i've linked the song's lyrics

hank is in the family as skyler's brother. hank's goodbye call has stimulated flabbergast over its inclusion. maybe it's not only a goodbye, it's a hello. marie's black clothes, another hello. marie's character has been established at this point as (via wiki) "an unpleasant bitch," and "she would be there for her family. But it's all about her." that sounds like a leader in waiting to me. pubrick, as you know, bitches are leaders. and no one guesses a woman to end the show, right? when hank dies, family tragedy. when walter dies, family tragedy. who takes over the family? marie could. but idk if it's a throne to be taken or what the throne is or anything like that

it's very true that i'm a fish out of water in here. excited for everyone watching!

Drenk

Ascension.

cine

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on September 09, 2013, 02:51:47 AM
it's very true that i'm a fish out of water in here. excited for everyone watching!

great. go loiter somewhere else. thanks.

jenkins

loiter, lol. request, appropriate. not my party. like i said, excited for the watchers