Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

ono

holy shit. have any of you guys watched 'metastasis' yet?
it is crazy on so many levels.
the concept itself is just ridiculous.

Fernando

Didn't expect for this to come so soon!

Jeremy Blackman

El Camino was... underwhelming. It's a lot like The X-Files: I Want To Believe. Not really a movie, just an extra long episode of the show. Not terrible, but not especially good. Kinda necessary to watch while also feeling inessential. A missed opportunity.

There are some great moments and excellent scenes. But it just doesn't pack the punch that it thinks it does.

You can tell that everyone who worked on this is used to doing their job for television and doesn't quite know how to construct a "film" out of this material. This is especially felt in the editing. Whereas an episode of Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul is vital and packed with incident, El Camino feels stretched and lacks momentum.

I think Vince was going for subtlety, but this is just kind of plain. It's shot plainly and lacks the dynamic visuals of the show. It's written plainly. The score is also noticeably bad. So it ends up feeling like a bit of a downgrade.

I like this observation from NME:

Spoiler: ShowHide
"The film ends as the show did – Jesse braves his future alone. It's just puzzling to watch two more hours and reach, essentially, the exact same conclusion."

Sleepless

Can't disagree with any of that, to be fair.

Spoiler: ShowHide
I enjoyed it. I wasn't really sure what to expect - and I think calling it a film rather than some other more appropriate term is going to be why many were underwhelmed - but what we got was bloody typical of BB/BCS storytelling. Of course it's the practical, logical, step-by-step of what Jessie did next and how he got out of town. In this universe, no one simply drives off into the sunset. Plus, Jessie got very short shrift in the final season of BB, so it feels like he was deserved something of a more substantial sendoff.

Did it necessitate a whole two-hour production (which has taken VG away from the BCS writer's room for roughly two seasons)? No.

Am I happy it was done regardless and am I hopeful they might do more like this simply because I love this style of storytelling and am grateful to spend more time in this universe. Absolutely.

Doing what AMC has planned for Walking Dead with BB was aways going to be trickier. Assuming they intend(ed) to expand BB beyond this film. If not, then at least there's a new season of BCS on the horizon. And whatever Vince does next.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

Really hoping they'll do an Insider Podcast ep for this.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

Still no pod, but there is a 13-min making of on nf now

wilberfan