Robert Rodriguez

Started by metroshane, August 21, 2003, 11:01:57 AM

metroshane

Can't wait to see Once Upon A Time in Mexico.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

©brad

Pubrick

thanks for sharing. gee if ever there was an expression that defined 99% of xixaxers, it's "can't wait".

spoiled brats the lot of ya.
under the paving stones.

Raikus

Quote from: metroshaneCan't wait to see Once Upon A Time in Mexico.
Yes, but how many times can one draw from the well before it's dry?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

metroshane

I'll let you know once I see it.

Or we could just ask Woody Allen...or George Lucas.   Let's see, how many Star Trek's, Friday the 13ths, or Police Acedemy's are there.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

MacGuffin

Quote from: metroshaneCan't wait to see Once Upon A Time in Mexico.

Could have just put that here:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=458
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: metroshaneI'll let you know once I see it.

Or we could just ask Woody Allen...or George Lucas.   Let's see, how many Star Trek's, Friday the 13ths, or Police Acedemy's are there.

umm...huh?

Alethia

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: metroshaneI'll let you know once I see it.

umm...huh?

he's saying they all draw from the same well over and over.  but woody has had much success, he just improves almost each time in my opinion.

Raikus

Except that most of those people do sequels to their work. I was referring to Rodriguez's filming El Mariachi then expounding on it with Desperado. It's basically the same movie, just with different budgets. I know Once Upon a Time in Mexico is finally a different story, but merely raising a question as to how many times you can create a story from the same source material.

A comparison would be Raimi's Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

metroshane

How is El Mariachi and Desperado the same movie?

They're both about a guy that carries guns in a guitar case, but that's where this similarity ends.

Mariachi - mistaken Identity
Desperado - revenge

Mariachi- looking for work
Desperado - looking for bucho

Mariachi - carries a guitar in a guitar case
Desperado - carries guns in a guitar case

Besides, the intent all along was to do an homage to the Sergio Leon Speghetti westerns...so it's sort of fitting.

And Robert's movies are getting better everytime too.  Not sure I agree about Woody.

IHeartPTA

I absolutely hate robert rodriguez. he's a great director in his early stuff, but he's gotten so commercial and that pisses me off. His last movies have been high-budget, sequeled garbage. What ever happened to the $7,000 El Mariachi? There's just not as much spirit in his movies as there use to be. From Dusk Till Dawn was a good effort but was lacking. When he had his chance to do a high budget movie he does a sequel. ARGGGGGGGGG!
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

phil marlowe

Quote from: magnoliacI absolutely hate robert rodriguez. he's a great director in his early stuff, but he's gotten so commercial and that pisses me off. His last movies have been high-budget, sequeled garbage. What ever happened to the $7,000 El Mariachi? There's just not as much spirit in his movies as there use to be. From Dusk Till Dawn was a good effort but was lacking. When he had his chance to do a high budget movie he does a sequel. ARGGGGGGGGG!
oh welcome  :roll:

IHeartPTA

Quote from: phil marloweoh welcome  :roll:

just gettin my opinion out there
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

phil marlowe

Quote from: magnoliac
Quote from: phil marloweoh welcome  :roll:

just gettin my opinion out there
ohhh really ?? then i'm sorry i took you for a fucking phony.

cowboykurtis

my dislike for robert rodriguez has nothing to do with the integrity of hsi choices ( i hate people who use the phrase "sell out" -- my stance on that subject matter is; when you're in a position to "sell out" and choose not to, then you can ccall one a sell out -- its very safe to sit in your dorm room and ridicule people) back to my original intention -- my dislike for rodriguez comes from the quality of his films -- i just dont like them. with that said, good day.
...your excuses are your own...