INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Dr_Chile

There are a lot of original songs in it. "Soul Gidget" by the first black surf band Meatball Flag stands out. Doc even sings a few. There's a great lounge number as well. I hope we get to see some of these in the film.

Garam

Josh Brolin AMA

[–]YeezusChristSupersta 12 points an hour ago
Love your work. What can we expect from Inherent Vice? Do you know when a trailer is coming out? I'm dying to see it.

[–]Josh_Brolin 22 points 41 minutes ago
Me too!
I don't know when a trailer is coming out, I hope soon. I'm very proud of that movie. And I think Joaquin Phoenix has reached an alien level of talent.

Punch

"Wild movie. You know, it's the first [Thomas] Pynchon film adaptation, and it really catches his tone," New York Film Festival director and Selection Committee Chair Kent Jones says, discussing Inherent Vice. "It really catches the antic nature of him: the crazy names of characters, the nutty behavior, and then also the emotional undertone. It has the flavor of Pynchon. It has this Big Lebowski element to one side of it, but the emotional undertone, the desperation, the paranoia, and the yearning in the film... [Paul Thomas Anderson's] an absolutely amazing filmmaker and it's incredible to see him responding to someone else's creation and then building his own creation out of it. He sort of did that with There Will Be Blood, but not really. It's his own movie, inspired by the novel Oil!"
Along with sharing the photo below, featuring star Joaquin Phoenix, Jones went on to discuss his personal reaction to the film, saying, "I was born in 1960, but I certainly remember 1971 very well and I gotta say, from the minute the movie started to the minute it ended, I was back—way back—to the point where I was thinking "Gee, my son was born in the '90s." So it's a different kind of relationship that he would have. It's an amazing piece of work, and at this point Joaquin Phoenix and Paul have something so rare between them as an actor and director, and Sam Waterston's daughter, Katherine, is in it, and she's riveting every minute she's on screen. It's quite a film." It sounds like we're in for something truly special, and as we await the first trailer, one can see the new image below.
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Lottery

From the AMA.

We all are looking forward to see "Inherent Vice". How would you describe working with Paul Thomas Anderson?

After Goonies and the Coens, one of the greatest experiences of my life. He creates an ambience of creative insanity. It felt like swimming in a Ralph Steadman drawing. Whoa, deep. Heavy.

Find Your Magali

It's really hard to get a grip on IV from the comments I've read so far. The cliched comparisons seem to be The Long Goodbye and The Big Lebowski. But they don't seem to have as much relevance to the film as the impressions I've read so far would suggest. I'm still trying to get a handle, too, on how *funny* it's going to be. Of course, funny is a generic and subjective word. Dunno.

Lottery

polkablues

They should have changed the character's name to Big Head.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Dobbs

Lottery

Goddamit C&RV, I thought they were about to post a trailer.

Anyway, rated R.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/inherent-vice-receives-r-rating.html

QuoteInherent Vice has been Rated R, and if the description is any indication, the film has something for everyone: drug use throughout, sexual content, graphic nudity, language, and some violence.

Classic PTA.

Jeremy Blackman

Craziness:

QuoteAnd actually, what I respected most about Joaquin is that he would have the book and the script side-by-side, so basically he would say, "what do you want out of either?"

Axolotl

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/movies/fall-arts-preview-teyonah-parris-katherine-waterston-and-others-break-through.html?src=twr

QuoteIn Mr. Anderson's narcotic noir, "Inherent Vice," set in Los Angeles in 1970 and based on the Thomas Pynchon novel, Ms. Waterston plays Shasta, right, the free-spirited, sensual ex-girlfriend who wakes the mutton-chopped private investigator Doc Sportello (Mr. Phoenix) from his stoner haze. Like a beacon shining through the counterculture's druggie fog, Shasta bristles with the kind of wild-eyed, visceral energy Doc has self-medicated into oblivion: a romantic embodiment of what might have been, and what might be lost.

"Certainly, this whole film is sort of the smoke clearing after the '60s and everyone coming to, wondering what the hell happened," she said. "There's a lot of uncertainty on every page of the novel. Is it all in her head? Or not? Is she as afraid as she needs to be? Or not?"

Figuring it out by doing all of her scenes with the mercurial Mr. Phoenix was more relief than challenge, she said. "Working with a scared actor is scarier than working with a brave one."

Punch

"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

polkablues

Pretty certain everything we've seen so far have been production stills, not actual movie frames.
My house, my rules, my coffee