Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

Pringle

Spike Lee is WAY more recognizable than Paul Thomas Anderson, especially to the young basketball fans that are the main target of this trailer. He's been in a bunch of commercials, made higher-grossing films, and is shown courtside at Knicks and Lakers games all the time.

RudyBlatnoyd

Quote from: Pringle on February 13, 2023, 12:58:06 PMSpike Lee is WAY more recognizable than Paul Thomas Anderson, especially to the young basketball fans that are the main target of this trailer. He's been in a bunch of commercials, made higher-grossing films, and is shown courtside at Knicks and Lakers games all the time.

Point taken. Do they not just mainly know him as an old guy who pops up at games, though? Are there really lots of young basketball fans out there watching Malcolm X and He Got Game and going around thinking or saying things like 'he's our greatest living filmmaker'? It's a nice thought! I dunno, it just struck me as an entirely phoney-sounding conversation that I could never actually imagine two human beings having – a common complaint in my experience of TV and film screenwriting these days, I'm afraid.

jviness02

Yeah, Spike Lee is still incredibly relevant. All the kids who work for me(15-18 year olds) talk about him just as much as Tarantino and Nolan. 

Also worth mentioning it's a basketball show and Lee is a huge figure in basketball. As said earlier, he's still courtside, but he also has "directed" the story mode of the NBA 2K video game series multiple times. It's branded as "A Spike Lee Joint" like his films.

RudyBlatnoyd

Obviously I'm just massively out of touch on this, apologies. No disrespect meant to Spike Lee, anyway – saw Bamboozled a while back and loved it.

WorldForgot

jviness02

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on February 18, 2023, 05:38:16 AMObviously I'm just massively out of touch on this, apologies. No disrespect meant to Spike Lee, anyway – saw Bamboozled a while back and loved it.

No need to apologize. You should hear me try and talk about music. I'm so out of touch lol

RudyBlatnoyd

It is quite remarkable how many directors from around the world are name-checking PTA now. He must be getting up there with Scorsese and Claire Denis in the ranks of 'directors most often cited by contemporary art-house filmmakers'.

jviness02

Judd Apatow introduces Paul Thomas Anderson at the DGAs: "He has never won a DGA Award, which kinda makes me think this whole night is bullshit."

jviness02

wilberfan

Heisenberg

PTA got a special thanks credit in Beau is Afraid, which makes sense as there are some moments in the film that seemed to be inspired by The Master and Inherent Vice.

Drill

QuoteRobbie has a long list of directors she'd like to work with, as an actor and a producer. She's working her way through the list. "Greta was on that list for a long time," she says. "Damien was on that list for a long time," she says, referring to Babylon's Damien Chazelle. Robbie recently ticked another box on the list, Wes Anderson. She has a small role in Asteroid City. "PTA is the big one I haven't ticked," she says, referring to Paul Thomas Anderson. "Is he aware?" I ask. "He's aware," she says.

https://www.vogue.com/article/margot-robbie-barbie-summer-cover-2023-interview

wilberfan

Some serious shout-outs in I LIKE MOVIES (2022)