The 2009 Xixax Awards: NOMINATE!

Started by MacGuffin, February 23, 2009, 03:12:32 AM

MacGuffin

WELCOME TO THE 2009 XIXAX AWARDS!

It's time to nominate!

Send your votes in through PM, following all the rules. The deadline is Monday March 16th, two weeks from today.

You will notice we have added a new category this year: Best Film Poster.

Remember: Any trailer released in 2008 is eligible for Best Trailer even if the film has not yet been released.  You should also try to specify Teaser or Trailer if there were several different versions released. 

THE RULES:

YOU HAVE TO
1. vote privately:
. . . .If your username begins begins with A-F (or #), send your ballot to MacGuffin
. . . .If your username begins begins with G-K, send your ballot to modage
. . . .If your username begins begins with L-P, send your ballot to picolas
. . . .If your username begins begins with Q-Z, send your ballot to ©brad
2. copy the form provided below and paste it into your PM
3. only list the movie in each category, not the person who would win (unless it's an acting category)
4. specify the actor and movie (for the acting categories), like this: Actor - "Movie"
5. use the most common title with foreign films (ask if you're not sure)
6. use full titles ("Vicky Christina Barcelona" instead of "VCB")
7. (for the DVD category) specify the original theatrical release date if there are different versions or remakes
8. nominate titles in alphabetical order
9. title your PM "nominations" (please!)

YOU SHOULD
1. be honest
2. vote from personal opinion (not strategically or by consensus)

YOU CAN'T
1. nominate more than 5 movies per category
2. send more than one ballot
3. vote from different memberships
4. write your nominations with caps lock on
5. nominate publicly
6. change your ballot after March 16

YOU CAN
1. nominate fewer than 5 per category (whatever you're comfortable with)
2. leave whole categories blank
3. nominate box sets in the Best DVD Release category
4. campaign

Here is a reminder list of eligible films from 2008:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/reminderlist2008_full.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

copy and paste....

BEST FILM

BEST DIRECTOR

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE

BEST SCREENPLAY

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC

BEST EDITING

BEST SOUND

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

BEST DEBUT FILM

BEST DOCUMENTARY

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

BEST DVD RELEASE

BEST TRAILER

BEST FILM POSTER
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

is Doubt eligible for debut film? in other words, do you regain your directing virginity if your last movie was 19 years ago/a romantic comedy starring Tom Hanks?

Stefen

So how does one actively campaign on here? Are we talking sending PM's with for your considerations and the movie you're campaigning for?

I'm going to get Let The Right One In one of those 5 slots if it kills me.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Stefen on February 23, 2009, 11:33:48 AM
So how does one actively campaign on here? Are we talking sending PM's with for your considerations and the movie you're campaigning for?

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 22, 2006, 12:44:29 PM
If anyone wants to campaign/advocate/debate nominations, please use this thread... (signatures and avatars are also encouraged)...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Doubt not eligible for debut.  neither Cloverfield.  :(

Let The Right One In for debut? 

Heath is a lead for The Dark Knight, right?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: modage on February 23, 2009, 04:34:41 PM

I was gonna ask the same, IMO he should be supporting..

Kate in The Reader, lead or sup?? I know she was lead at the o's but everywhere else she was sup.

You guys should make a list of leads and sups of last year's most popular films @ xixax.

Sleepless

Quote from: Fernando on February 24, 2009, 08:57:53 AM
Kate in The Reader, lead or sup??

Having seen it, I think she should qualify as a lead.

Are we counting The Orphanage for this year? Originally IMDB listed it as 2008, but I checked yesterday and it says it got a limited release at the end of 2007...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

squints

Just a little notice to folks: Milk, Rachel Getting Married, Happy Go Lucky, Synecdoche, NY, and Let the Right One In all come out on dvd on the 8th. I haven't seen three of those so i'm gonna try to cram them all in in one day in case any of them shake up my list.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Kal

BEST DEBUT FILM

LOS PARANOICOS - THE PARANOIDS

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

some important ones i think might get overlooked..

lead: Josh Brolin - W.

sup: Emile Hirsch - Milk

score: Waltz with Bashir (click)

also if you haven't seen kristin scott thomas in i've loved you so long it's out on dvd tomorrow.

...and don't forget how awesome that Benj Button teaser was. even if the movie disappointed...

edit: forgot Fiennes for In Bruges!

Fernando

Quote from: modage on March 01, 2009, 07:46:27 PM
no ballots yet.  let's have 'em.

Quote from: Fernando on February 24, 2009, 08:57:53 AM
Quote from: modage on February 23, 2009, 04:34:41 PM

I was gonna ask the same, IMO he should be supporting..

You guys should make a list of leads and sups of last year's most popular films @ xixax.

Can you clarify the above?

Also, if we could have one more week to send the ballots that'd be great.

Stefen

Yeah, give us another week. A lot of the best flicks are barely coming out on video now.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

Yeah, I just saw In Bruges this morning. Between catching up and being busy, there's no need to rush it all, really.
WWPTAD?

Sleepless

Not to be forgotten for some of the best original music this year...

And PLEASE check out The Visitor and Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day!!!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.