There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

children with angels

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 16, 2007, 12:01:23 PM
It's like PTA is channeling his inner Malick.

Definitely. That's exactly what I thought after I had calmed down. It's a very, very intriguing and exciting prospect - it could mean the combining of two very different styles of determindley visceral filmmaking. I think we're going to be seeing something that feels very new and different to anything else with this one.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: children with angels on June 16, 2007, 12:10:03 PM

Definitely. That's exactly what I thought after I had calmed down. It's a very, very intriguing and exciting prospect - it could mean the combining of two very different styles of determindley visceral filmmaking. I think we're going to be seeing something that feels very new and different to anything else with this one.

It still scares me. PTA's major problem with his last films has been imitation of other filmmakers. Mallick is one of the ultimate visualists there are. Already in that trailer I see shots that Mallick has already done. The hope is what Children says: something new and different. PTA needs to transform the Mallick surface and make his own film. Because I consider him a talented writer before a great director, I think he has a chance. But I admit I'm nervous.

A wonderfully perfect trailer. Should win that dumb Xixax award.

children with angels

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 16, 2007, 12:43:44 PM

It still scares me. PTA's major problem with his last films has been imitation of other filmmakers. Mallick is one of the ultimate visualists there are. Already in that trailer I see shots that Mallick has already done. The hope is what Children says: something new and different. PTA needs to transform the Mallick surface and make his own film. Because I consider him a talented writer before a great director, I think he has a chance. But I admit I'm nervous.

I'm not worried. He incorporates elements of other directors' styles into an overall formal system that has been developing slowly to the point at which, in PDL, I think became totally unique, with its own rhythm and its own distinctve aesthetic. I agree that the Malick influence appears obvious here, but I have no doubt that it will be used and incorporated into the 'Anderson-esque' approach in such a way that it won't feel like pastiche, but rather the intelligent drawing on, and development of, cinematic history. I anticipate, for example, fascinating clashes between slow, langurous moments taken from Malick and the bursts of kinetic energy that characterise some of the most  exciting moments of his films.
"We always do..."

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: children with angels on June 16, 2007, 01:07:40 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 16, 2007, 12:43:44 PM

I'm not worried. He incorporates elements of other directors' styles into an overall formal system that has been developing slowly to the point at which, in PDL, I think became totally unique, with its own rhythm and its own distinctve aesthetic. I agree that the Malik influence appears obvious here, but I have no doubt that it will be used and incorporated into the 'Anderson-esque' approach in such a way that it won't feel like pastiche, but rather the intelligent drawing on, and development of, cinematic history. I anticipate, for example, fascinating clashes between slow, langurous moments taken from Malik and the bursts of kinetic energy that characterise some of the most  exciting moments of his films.

PDL doesn't stand up well for me anymore because it is all style. You say Anderson became totally unique with it which I won't disagree with, but he sacrificed the best of his writing abilities to get to that point. My philosophy is that style innovation has to go hand in hand with with excellent writing to be meaningful.

I hope There Will Be Blood mixes the best of Anderson's filmic personality with the best of his writing. I hope the characters are meaningful and the portrait honest.

I also hope you'll consider allowing multiple reviews of the film on your website when it's released  :yabbse-grin:

children with angels

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 16, 2007, 02:06:47 PM
My philosophy is that style innovation has to go hand in hand with with excellent writing to be meaningful.

I hope There Will Be Blood mixes the best of Anderson's filmic personality with the best of his writing. I hope the characters are meaningful and the portrait honest.

I agree with these bits. I thought you were mainly talking about visual style, so that's what I focussed on. PDL does stand up for me, but in a very different way to ,say, Magnolia. PTA is just a first-class writer though, no matter what route he chooses, and he has the ability to change his writing style to meet the approach demanded by the overall movie. The kind of film that There Will be Blood seems to be obviously requires a completely different writing style to PDL, and I have no doubt he'll rise to it. I'm just particularly excited because he now seems to have found such a unique visual voice, and he'll be able to use that to complement this new kind of material. The more I think about it, the more I think that this could be his masterpiece (though whether it will de-throne Magnolia from it's place at the centre of my cinematic life is another question).

Not to build it up too much or anything...
"We always do..."

Pozer

i love you guys right now.  that was quite tastey.   

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Lucid on June 16, 2007, 04:14:18 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 16, 2007, 02:06:47 PM
I hope the characters are meaningful and the portrait honest.

For me, these two things have always been constant factors in P.T.'s films, in addition to spot-on writing that makes him one of the best storytellers we've got out there.  Writer first, director second, like he's said.  He can cite as many directors as he pleases, because in the past those references have served the story above all; they're not just cheap references he throws around for style's sake.

My heart's all a flutter after watching that trailer.

This is all subjective, but my stance on Punch-Drunk Love is that the style around the film overrides the story. It can be considered a good film (which I do consider it), but it can also be seen as a defeat for Anderson who was made better films in his previous two efforts.

See, when people say he was just riding on the coat tails of Altman with Boogie Nights and Magnolia, I don't really buy it. Structurally Magnolia is akin to Short Cuts, but the gliding camera movement was a staple of many filmmakers before Robert Altman ever got a handle of it. There are also many references to other filmmakers in both of those films beside Altman.

But in Punch-Drunk Love the references are obvious and limited to one or two filmmakers. The film is just too much of a lift from another filmmaker to be ultimately rewarding considering Anderson's talent. It is well written and has a good theme and idea at its core base, but that is all stagnated because of the enormous style that surrounds it.

Maybe I'm looking for something PTA isn't. Maybe film references will be as common in his career as it is for Scorsese, but the hope is that if he does that he will always aim high with his stories. Scorsese scrounged his ambitions as quikly as possible and made genre flicks. I don't think PTA will do that and I don't think Magnolia is his peak. The story is exceptional in many ways, but the theme in the story didn't age well for me. With There Will be Blood he will deal with character, history and reality to paint his picture instead of trying to convince an audience that frogs raining down from the sky is meaningful instead of funny. Even if you believe in the frogs, there is at least much more potentional in the subject that houses There Will be Blood.

Pozer

i have a feeling this will be your favorite one of his...

i just got back and watched it for a third time.  it was even more extraordinary cause i cranked the speakers.    ive been anticipating DDL's characteristics and what his voice would sound like.  that bit of speech is so dark and both his voice and appearance is quite haunting.  i dig it all around.   

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

with a new Radiohead album on the horizon and a trailer for the new PTA film it feels like 2002 all over again.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

JG

is that monologue from the book?  i'm just curious as to how faithful he is going to be. 

matt35mm

I do not know if it is from the book or not, but PTA has said that it's a pretty loose adaptation.

last days of gerry the elephant

Stefen

Elswit looks to be in top form. As always when he's working with PTA.

This movie is going to bomb badly. Most people will probably find it boring, and the only thing others will find great about it will be the cinematography.

Or maybe he'll ad a dance number.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.