There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

modage

HOLY SHIT!

there won't be score.

just like our sister site, fairfax avenue is an april fool's joke-free zone. so with that in mind -- shock and disbelief! i've just been informed by pta's camp that jon brion isn't doing the score for 'there will be blood'. paul thomas anderson has mentioned classical composer krzysztof penderecki as one of his inspirations while writing the film, so it's possible he's using cues that already exist. there is no 'replacement' or another composer writing the score (that i know of).
http://www.fairfax-avenue.com/

this is terrible!  (or is it?)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

not necessarily... i was just wondering the other day if a brion-esque "whimsical" score would work for this film. not that thats all brion can do... but still
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

matt35mm

I would really love to see him not use a score at all.  It would be such a departure for him, based on the 4 previous films.  He knows how to use music so well that it would really be something to see how he doesn't use music.

Anyway, that's all speculation, but this isn't: I love PTA, and I'm reminded of that every time I hear a piece of news for this movie!

tpfkabi

i guess it makes sense.

PDL only had two pop songs that i can think of (He Needs Me and Lonely Blue Boy). Lonely Blue Boy was barely heard at that. this was a huge departure from the very pop song oriented Magnolia and Boogie Nights.

too, it's a period piece.

i finally got to see the Rollins interview and he mentions Penderecki being used in the Shining.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

dude.  it has nothing to do with pop songs.  jon brion wrote the music!  the instrumental stuff that goes under the scenes.  and i dont think the magnolia score was whimsical.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

the PDL score was more rhythmic than anything.
(oh, i forgot Waikiki earlier).

everything PTA has done so far is very now and everything JB has scored has been very now. for all we know JB might not have been comfortable scoring a period piece.

i don't know though, a soundtrack of JB melodies played on tack piano (or saloon sounding piano) might be pretty cool.

The Red Vine

This will be interesting. PTA has something hidden up his sleeve.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

hedwig

Quote from: bigideas on April 03, 2007, 09:41:38 PM
too, boogie nights was.

Quote from: RedVines on April 03, 2007, 10:43:28 PM
This will be interesting. PTA has something hidden up his sleeve.
there was blood on his sleeve.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Hedwig on April 03, 2007, 10:55:08 PM
Quote from: bigideas on April 03, 2007, 09:41:38 PM
too, boogie nights was.

ok, fair shot.

a period piece where there was no recorded music at the time* (this is early 1900's, right?)

*i think(?)

in boogie nights are there any songs that are newer than the time period the movie is set in (it's been several years since i watched BN)?

Pozer

a trailer has never been more needed than now to squash this nonsense.

john

A good piece of music is timeless. I'm not saying that if Jon Brion did the score all on a vocoder, it wouldn't be out of place - but judging by his scores so far, nothing would be very time specific, only mood specific (with the exception of, say, Here We Go and Strings That Tie To You, which are pop songs.

For instance, if they used Clementine's Loop in There Will Be Blood, I'm sure it would fit in perfectly. Anything Jon composed would fit perfectly, really. The reasons his scores to date were successful isn't because they are set in contemporary periods (considering he didn't score Boogie Nights, but Clementine's Loop was in it) but because he's incredibly intuitive to what a filmmaker needs and what lends itself to any particular scene.

So, if I had to speculate, I don't think the reason he's not doing the score has anything to do with him or PTA worrying about not being capable. But either:

A.) Jon's schedule is pretty stacked and he doesn't have the time.

or

B.) Life is short and Penderecki's music is pretty fucking righteous. Why not work with whoever/whatever floats your boat in the little time you do have to do what you want to do?
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

modage

i think its definitely a conscious stylistic choice.  there is no way that brion is too busy for pta.  not as long as he's been working on this movie.  no way, no how.

Pubrick

if magnolia was his 2001, and now he's doing penderecki.. that means he's skipping clork (thank god) and possibly barryndon, and going straight to the shin.

if my black maths serves me well, this will be his barryning.
under the paving stones.

sickfins

i can see how it might construed that there won't be a score at all from my update, but i merely meant there won't be a jon brion score.  it's certainly not about jon not having time in his schedule -- he does what he truly wants to do.

there were similar freakouts when dylan tichenor wasn't editing punch-drunk love, or none of the pta regulars were cast in twbb, but fear not, it will be wonderful.

no jb score is either because of:
jon/paul having a falling out
paul already having the music he wants

dollars to donuts, it'll be pre-existing music.

modage

how come there was no update on cigsnvines about this?  its the biggest piece of news since....vincent froio