WHAT ABOUT ROMAN COPPOLA?

Started by TenseAndSober, January 09, 2003, 02:36:49 PM

TenseAndSober

I KNOW CQ WASNT THE MOST POPULAR MOVIE, BUT HIS MUSIC VIDEOS ARE PROBABLY  SOME OF THE ONLY GOOD VIDEOS PLAYED ON MTV...PLUS HE'S THE SON OF ONE OF THE GREATEST DIRECTORS EVER... SO IM SURE THAT'S RUBBED OFF ON HIM. THE HARD TO EXPLAIN VIDEO FOR THE STROKES WAS SIMPLY AMAZING AND QUITE ORIGINAL.  (IN MY OPINION).

Satcho9

Gold Trumpet

the music videos i've seen of his (the strokes and the vines) aren't really anything that great when it comes to videos. The strokes video was a mere stylization of a lot of things of 70s culture that seemed influential for the fashion of the strokes but nothing really deeper than just the fashion statement of the times. The vines video was the basic performance that thought it found a good thing in having lightning bolts hitting the band but when the result is just a couple of flashes and a bandmember flying back, then really nothing is there. Its a performance video that was lacking the energy of the song.
I've never seen CQ but i plan to rent it soon so i can at least give an opinion on it.

~rougerum

TenseAndSober

So a good video is what?  You must be an Eminem fan.  What's wrong with a performance video.  Simplicity.....spending a million dollars on a video doesn't always make it good.  And I don't care for special effects.  I just feel Coppola is a talent and I enjoy his work.  The Hard to Explain video had nothing to do with fasion.  I thought it was freaking cool. Thats me though.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: TenseAndSoberSo a good video is what?  You must be an Eminem fan.  What's wrong with a performance video.  Simplicity.....spending a million dollars on a video doesn't always make it good.  And I don't care for special effects.  I just feel Coppola is a talent and I enjoy his work.  The Hard to Explain video had nothing to do with fasion.  I thought it was freaking cool. Thats me though.

Nothings wrong with them. It just doesnt necesarily showcase the directors talents. Nobody said spending a mil on a video makes it good, I personally was bored to death with his videos. Thats me though.

Gold Trumpet

Nothing wrong with a performance video because what I was trying to say is that video failed to capture the energy of the song. It never got under the skin of the song. Actually, there are many great performance videos and one recent one could be Audioslave's new one for "Cochise" because it is a great classic rock video that gets the raw feeling of the song through the fireworks and has a great intro with how the band gets to the set with the jeep and gritty look that is good for the rock band persona occupied by a lot of bands.

Also, though I do look down on a lot of what Eminem has done with being very exploitative in his music toward white suburban kids, I still think he has made some great videos, and "The Way I Am" being one of the all time best videos ever made.

~rougerum

Rudie Obias

i really like his music videos.  he also directed green day's "walking contradition" video.  he has a really good sense of style but i think think his writing is really unfocused.  i think CQ could have been something really great if there was more with the writing and story.  but i prefer sofia coppola over roman coppola.

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

RegularKarate

Quote from: rudieobi think CQ could have been something really great if there was more with the writing and story.  but i prefer sofia coppola over roman coppola.
*rudie*

Yeah, it's pretty evident that she's a more mature filmmaker.

Roman has made some good videos... though the only Strokes video I've seen by him is overrated.

Jeremy Blackman

I also prefer Sofia, but Roman has so much potential... anyone have a link for these videos?

BonBon85

He also directed Fatboy Slim's "Gangsta Trippin" (the whole thing is blowing up random household objects) and God Lives Underwater's "From your Mouth" (The world champion eater consuming a feast in reverse). Both are pretty cool, but I think I lost a little respect for him when I found out he directed a Gap commercial.

modage

here is a 1024 by 768 CQ desktop background, for anyone who is interested...

http://members.fortunecity.com/themodernage/cqbackground.jpg
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

I loved CQ, it was just cool. Maybe not the best film ever but really fun and nostalgic. I don't know his videos. Please excuse my choppy writing, I'm at my grandma's house on her sucky laptop. I can't get on from home because my only cuurently working system is Aol which is not xixax friendly.

modage

i loved cq.  i had heard bits and pieces about it before it came out and it seemed interesting, and when i saw the trailer i was really really excited to see it.  i went on opening day and immediately walked from the theatre to tower records to buy the soundtrack which was stuck severely in my head.  i have probably seen it 5 or 6 times since then and tried to show it to as many people as possible. i love it.  one of my top 5 favorite movies of 2002 for sure.  

roman talked about when wanting to make his first movie, not being sure what type of movie to make.  "My interests have always been pretty diverse.  I'm a fan of comic books and comic book movies- outrageous, playful, fun movies- and at the same time I'm drawn to more thoughtful, artier films.  In the late 60's there were examples of both these things: movies like Barberella, Danger: Diabolik, and Modesty Blaise were kind of kitschy, fun, comic book movies, and then people like Godard and Antonioni were making the opposite kind of films, films that were more artistically adventurous.  This was my chance to fuse those two worlds together."  it also talks about the two key films as far as influences were Danger: Diabolik and David Holtzmans Diary.  "These two films embody the two opposing forces: playful, artificial entertainment vs. a highly personal 'honest' film."

i havent seen David Holtzman's Diary, but between Danger: Diabolik and movies like Day For Night, 8 1/2, and Contempt i can certainly see the influences on this movie.  i just think its a great idea, and its a lot of fun and funny but then by the end you can kind of look at it and see something that wasnt there before.  just like jeremy davies in the movie.  i think thats great.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Xixax

I wanted to like CQ, but I just couldn't.

Compare that to Virgin Suicides.

No wait, don't...
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ravi

I didn't dislike CQ, but I didn't like it either.  It left me sort of bleh.