Do you ever not understand plot points in a movie ? (spoilin

Started by Pas, September 16, 2003, 08:49:39 PM

Pas

I recently saw Identity and the people I was with had not even understood what the hell was going on. They tought it was a guy who could transform. Some kind of Lord of the Rings reject. Assholes.

My uncle didn't understand the Ring...he said it was some kind of cheap marketing tool to tell the people never to copy movies. He was even mad at the thing. He was a junkie for more than twenty years though, so I forgive him.

All the people I know who saw Femme Fatale didn't understand it. I knew she would dream her future even before she got in bath (the TV announcer was telling it to us (in french))

The exemples are many...do you have any ?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

Stuff I never understood:

1. Why was Sydney so mad at Jimmy?

2. Why was Scotty always giving Dirk funny looks?

3. What the hell did the falling frogs symbolize?

4. Why were there all those funny flashes of light around Barry?

I guess I just don't understand movies.  :wink:

Pubrick

So this thread is one of those spoilerful ones i will inevitably click on every time it's updated?

i didn't get LA Confidential the first time. too many names. prolly the reason no one talks about it anymore.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Quote from: MacGuffinSo this is a thread about how much smarter you are?

I didn't start it like that but I see that's how I made it. Oh well.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Pi didn't get LA Confidential the first time. too many names. prolly the reason no one talks about it anymore.
Still one of my favorite flicks...I hear ya on the names part thou, as I think it took me a few tiimes through to actually makes senses of who is who.  Officer Bud White is still pretty much my favorite crowe roll to date.

side note...the Goldsmith (I think, right?) score is unbelievable.

coffeebeetle

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: Pi didn't get LA Confidential the first time. too many names. prolly the reason no one talks about it anymore.
Still one of my favorite flicks...I hear ya on the names part thou, as I think it took me a few tiimes through to actually makes senses of who is who.  Officer Bud White is still pretty much my favorite crowe roll to date.

side note...the Goldsmith (I think, right?) score is unbelievable.

To stray off topic for just a bit...have you seen The Sum of Us?  Crowe's best performance (as far as range goes) IMHO...but he was also good in L.A. Confidential.  

It took me two watches to get all the names in L.A. Confidential, but that didn't bother me so much.  I was too in love with the dialogue to care the first time around.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

RegularKarate

Quote from: P
i didn't get LA Confidential the first time. too many names. prolly the reason no one talks about it anymore.
Have you read any of Elroy's books?

It took me a while to read White Jazz.  Not just the names that slowed me, but the fact that I hadn't read LA Confidential, the book and didn't know that White Jazz was kind of a sequel... Great book by the way... still haven't read LA Confidential.

Finn

I had a lot of trouble with Mulholland Drive (who didn't?) and I think I figured out Femme Fatale but I still have my questions. I guess I didn't worry about the plot in Hard Eight because it didn't really matter
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SoNowThen

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: P
Have you read any of Elroy's books?

It took me a while to read White Jazz.  Not just the names that slowed me, but the fact that I hadn't read LA Confidential, the book and didn't know that White Jazz was kind of a sequel... Great book by the way... still haven't read LA Confidential.

read the new trilogy:

American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand, and (new book not out yet)...

they'll make your head spin (with names AND brilliance).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

©brad

i still don't really understand everything in the first mission impossible.

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

MacGuffin

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeNo one did. Not even John Woo.

Then it's a good thing De Palma directed it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

I think he knew that and meant it as a burn on M:I 2

I understood M:I because I'm like a master genius
I like to hug dogs

©brad

well i think they purposely dumbed down MI2 b/c MI was a little tricky.