The 2004 Xixax DEKAPENTICON

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 07, 2004, 02:52:19 AM

Film Student

Never got around to posting, but here are my top ten of all time, followed by my top ten in accordance with the nominated films....

My list (in no particular order):

Magnolia
Rope
Harold and Maude
Blue Velvet
The Apartment
Taxi Driver
Dr. Strangelove
Straw Dogs
Tape
Dancer in the Dark

List from Noms:

1. Magnolia
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Taxi Driver
4. Vertigo
5. Goodfellas
6. Blue Velvet
7. Eyes Wide Shut
8. Apocolypse Now
9. Do the Right Thing
10. Rushmore
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenCatch 22
i just watched this and i didnt care for it.  i'd be interested in hearing why you loved it though.  
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSwing Time
i watched this recently and i loved it.  i had always thought it was from cinephiles list though.

in case anyone was wondering why i resurrected this thread, i kept a list of all the films voted for that i had not seen and have been trying to see them since last year.  
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

This is the XIXAX awards I really was looking forward to. Just looking over my list, I realized I could write up basically an entire new list of films. I think I'll only repeat for my top 5 favorites. Anyone else going to try to create an entirely new list at all?

Also, how long do we have to vote for this? I'd like to give some titles another viewing to see if I think they belong.

ono

That is a good idea, mod.  I hope to see a lot of the stuff recommended this year, and make a mostly new, more diverse list as well (like GT).

SHAFTR

Quote from: wantautopia?That is a good idea, mod.  I hope to see a lot of the stuff recommended this year, and make a mostly new, more diverse list as well (like GT).

I think it is too soon to do another Top Movies of All Time.  Perhaps we should shake it up with something different.  Top Films of a Particular Decade (start with 90s).  Or top filmmakers of all time.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

UncleJoey

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: wantautopia?That is a good idea, mod.  I hope to see a lot of the stuff recommended this year, and make a mostly new, more diverse list as well (like GT).

Perhaps we should shake it up with something different.  Top Films of a Particular Decade (start with 90s).

That's a great idea.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

ono

Actually, that's a horrible idea.  Revisiting the Dekapenticon every year should be a tradition here.  It's like our Sight & Sound list.

Quote from: wantautopia?
Quote from: Pi didn't think the XIXAX DEKAPENTICON would be an annual event.
Why not?  Opinions change.  New movies get released.  Older movies devalue over time or age well.
Quote from: Pubrickit'll be nice to see how the board matures, but that's about all u can tell from it.

sure, another DEKAPENTICON would be fine.

SHAFTR

Quote from: wantautopia?Actually, that's a horrible idea.  Revisiting the Dekapenticon every year should be a tradition here.  It's like our Sight & Sound list.

Quote from: Pi didn't think the XIXAX DEKAPENTICON would be an annual event.
Why not?  Opinions change.  New movies get released.  Older movies devalue over time or age well.
Quote from: Pubrickit'll be nice to see how the board matures, but that's about all u can tell from it.

sure, another DEKAPENTICON would be fine.

Well, a decade by decade list would reveal and suggest more movies than a simple best ever list.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTR

I think it is too soon to do another Top Movies of All Time.  Perhaps we should shake it up with something different.  Top Films of a Particular Decade (start with 90s).  Or top filmmakers of all time.

I think the time between is perfect. For a film board, a year is a long time of existence. No one knows when a hobby like this will fade to the background or not. Senior members here haven't been coming really that long and some already have gone other ways. Making this an annual thing documents not only the shifting of the board, but also the personal shifting of each person to what movies really speak for them at the moment. My list last year was personal, but it was also very general for the films I thought should be appreciated. Now that I'm going to not repeat besides my very very favorite, I know this list will be even more personal. But hey, some people can make it easy by just repeating last year's nominations if they still believe in them wholeheartedly.

ono

Quote from: SHAFTRWell, a decade by decade list would reveal and suggest more movies than a simple best ever list.
Quality over quantity.  GT summed it up perfectly.  The Dekapenticon is so good because it's all-encompassing.  Everyone names 30 then we settle on 15.  With that many films to choose from, you'd be hard pressed not to find 10 films from each decade represented, all the way back to the 20s (well, not so much the 20s-40s, but maybe a few from there).  Maybe this year everyone will be off their trendy kicks (obscure Godard film of the week, P-DL worship, though I love it).  We may see new trends, sure.  But we'll also have an even better representation of films that stand the test of time in Xixaxers' eyes.

SHAFTR

Quote from: SHAFTRWell, a decade by decade list would reveal and suggest more movies than a simple best ever list.
Quality over quantity.  GT summed it up perfectly.  The Dekapenticon is so good because it's all-encompassing.  Everyone names 30 then we settle on 15.  With that many films to choose from, you'd be hard pressed not to find 10 films from each decade represented, all the way back to the 20s (well, not so much the 20s-40s, but maybe a few from there).  Maybe this year everyone will be off their trendy kicks (obscure Godard film of the week, P-DL worship, though I love it).  We may see new trends, sure.  But we'll also have an even better representation of films that stand the test of time in Xixaxers' eyes.

maybe not have Magnolia at #1?

ono

Why not?  It's the best film of all time.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

But it would be cool to analyze the best of each decade, maybe see how the 10 best of each stack up against each other, or just how they represent their own decades...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: WalrusBut it would be cool to analyze the best of each decade, maybe see how the 10 best of each stack up against each other, or just how they represent their own decades...

I know another site that does it. The problem is that it is being too list happy for your own good. They realize its too long to wait to do one decade a year so they do a decade every few months. What happens is that many members just get busy during certain months and talk about how they are scrambling to just think of titles to get their selection of films done so they can just be part of it. It makes people care about the lists less overall because who gives a fuck if they miss a decade or two. And if you do all the decades at once, you are almost asking for the impossible. Too many titles to think of and organize. I'm almost spellbound how some people can continually change and update a top ten list all the time. Its hard enough doing it once a year.