Best Horror Movies

Started by Jake_82, November 24, 2003, 09:03:28 PM

RegularKarate

I'm sad that Mod has practically invalidated all his kickass reviews by giving Jeepers Creepers (from writer/director of POWDER!!!) more than two skulls.

The first fifteen minutes are exciting, but once he turns into that ridiculously unscary thing, it becomes so bad it surpasses funny and dives into boring.  Nothing new or exciting about that movie AT ALL!

F minus!

It makes me sad though because with the exception of The Others (which wasn't that bad) and his underration of Dead Alive, I was with him... I was really enjoying the reviews.

modage

this really bums me out.  because obviously i respect your tastes, RK and mac,  and know both of you love horror and aren't snobs and i cannot figure out how we've felt SO differently on this.  when i first saw it on video i had zero expectations and thought it would probably suck.  and i thought it was so great.  but after hearing all the negative comments abou the film i figured when i rewatched it some of those things would start to show.  but i've watched it 2 or 3 times since then and i still think it's good!  

i almost didn't watch it last night because i KNEW this would be the reception and also because i thought there was a good possibility i wouldn't like it anymore.  but i still thought it was good, so i don't know what's wrong with my taste-o-meter but it feels like we're watching different movies here.  i also knew that the 7 skulls would receive scrutiny above all and during the film tried to see if a 5 or 6 was applicable but i wouldn't have been honestly rating it and i just felt a 7.  this film has probably been my most difficult battle on this board.  because i dont like it in an ironic way or something i just really think its good even when i WANT it to be bad, i don't think it is.  

there's still almost 3 weeks to go and the goal is to do 30 (if possible) without repeats of last years picks. so hopefully you'll be with me for whatevers next and our differences in opinion/rating wont discount the overall effort.  (i wasnt even aware anyone was reading them.)   :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I'll forgive you, Mod.  It just really shocked me.

I look forward to your reviews, in fact, I recently redid my Netflix queue in favor of horror films hoping to join in and review some myself (stealing your formula, of course).

Gamblour.

Fuck, I gots ta see dis shit now.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modagethis really bums me out.  because obviously i respect your tastes, RK and mac

:yabbse-sad:
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

yours i'm not so sure about...  :yabbse-wink:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modageyours i'm not so sure about...  :yabbse-wink:

I love you.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ghostboy

It's so weird that one of the like ten movies I actually agree with modage on is Jeepers Creepers.

rustinglass

I liked jeepers creepers as well
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Bethie

ohh jeepers creepers people
who likes movies anyway

polkablues

Jeepers Creepers was a great twenty minute short film that sadly kept going for seventy more minutes.  It almost felt like it turned into a comedy as the movie progressed, complete with the "innapropriately cheery music" device ripped off from the X-Files (and from whatever the X-Files ripped that off from).  I give it credit for having the balls to kill a main character, but the road that it took to get to that was just embarassing.  Almost "Darkness Falls" embarassing.  Not quite, but almost.

It doesn't make you a bad person for liking it, though, Mod.  One of my favorite horror movies is "Event Horizon", and believe me, I never hear the end of that.
My house, my rules, my coffee

w/o horse

Quote from: polkabluesJeepers Creepers was a great twenty minute short film that sadly kept going for seventy more minutes.

I wanted to quote this so bad that I actually ended up doing just that.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Ghostboy

Quote from: polkabluesOne of my favorite horror movies is "Event Horizon", and believe me, I never hear the end of that.

I really liked that one, too.

modage

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: polkabluesOne of my favorite horror movies is "Event Horizon", and believe me, I never hear the end of that.

I really liked that one, too.
yea, i havent seen it in years (maybe since the theatre?) but i remember really liking Event Horizon as well.

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****