I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

Pedro

Quote from: chuckhimselfo.
Quote from: Pedro the WombatTHE DECALOGUE
TRILOGY

Kieslowski   ,  i imagine you have Heaven already.
no i dont.

you should , unless of course  , you don't like it.  i like it,  so, that's why i said you should.
context, context, context.

analogzombie

"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

You Never Got Me Down Ray

Just got back from dvdplanet and I picked up a few Criterions:

Mon Oncle
Branded to Kill
Cranes Are Flying
Third Man
Billy Liar
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

You Never Got Me Down Ray

I just ordered:

Ballad of A Soldier
Andrei Rublev
Tokyo Drifter

Anyone seen any of these, especially the top 2?

I'm up close to 60 Criterions I think, and I don't get them for free like somebody around here.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=davidbrown

(and how do i paste dvd covers to these posts? img url?)
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

Just got back from an impulse buying frenzy at Best Buy.  I went there to ... I forget now ... oh yeah, to see if they could fix an old TV, check out their car CD changers, and see if they had The Critic on DVD, and I ended up buying seven other things.

Futurama, Vol. 1 ($19.99) - Yep, you read that right.  Couldn't pass that up at such a great deal.  Besides, I've wanted it for a while.  So underrated.

The Truth about Cats and Dogs ($5.99) - Found this in Best Buy's equivalent of the bargain bin.  Such a shame.  Loved this when I first saw it back in, '95, I think it was.  Janeane Garofalo is so cute, and well, yeah, that's about it.

Forget Paris ($5.99) - This too was in the bin.  Don't know why.  It's a perfectly decent, funny film, even if it could be considered When Harry Met Sally... lite.

Orange County ($9.99) - Don't shoot!  There's just something about Jack Black and movies about writing that I'm drawn to.  And this one is definitely fun.  I saw it in theatres back in January 2002, and it's one of the movies that first started getting me really interested in movies, along with A Beautiful Mind and Vanilla Sky.

Stand by Me ($14.99) - I know ebeaman (and others) hate this one, but I'm drawn to it.  Besides, I think it can show aspiring filmmakers what and what not to do as far as movies about kids these ages go, because it does do a lot wrong, and a lot right.  That, and my brother is on a Kiefer Sutherland kick since his obsession with 24 began, so I thought I'd show him some flicks he's been in.

Which leads me to...

Dark City ($14.99) - A blind buy.  I'm kicking myself because it's $9.97 at Amazon.com, but I guess the great deal on Futurama balances things out nicely.  I've heard great things about this film, and since there's a commentary from Ebert, I'm guessing it's well worth the money.

And last, but not least...

Mulholland Dr. ($9.99) - Yeah, yeah, shocker, I know.  But I said I'd give this movie another shot, and I was mesmerized by the first two hours even if I despised the last thirty minutes.  But at $9.99, who could pass up a deal like that?

too lazy to look up for the covers so...

Lars Von Trier's EUROPA
Ingmar Bergman's PERSONA
Sergio Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA

and i intend buying Wim Wenders' PARIS, TEXAS this monday.

NEON MERCURY

.....and OnO....the last 30 mins are perfect.....especially the part..SPOILERSwhere the guy behind winkies face  dissolves to the red curtain and then to the shot of betty and rita.....with that "soaring" music playing .....then silencio.......

SHAFTR

Quote from: Chuckhimselfo en Galicia
Ingmar Bergman's PERSONA

I knew this was coming out but didn't know the date had arrived.  Where and how much did you get it for?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: Chuckhimselfo en Galicia
Ingmar Bergman's PERSONA

I knew this was coming out but didn't know the date had arrived.  Where and how much did you get it for?

5 Euros in a Spanish store called FNAC.

cine

Quote from: Chuckhimselfo en Galicia5 Euros in a Spanish store called FNAC.
You and your Spanish connections...