School of Rock

Started by SHAFTR, September 26, 2003, 12:32:58 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: chuckhimselfoby the way, how does one person link  an image like that to  here?
under the paving stones.

bonanzataz

i love jack black. i love richard linklater. i love mike white. i love joan cusack as well.

why did i hate this movie?

i turned it off after the first half hour. another minute and i would've died of boredom. there are no good laughs, they try to milk the "jack black character" as much as possible, and i hate kids. i chuckled once or twice, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested. i guess hate is a strong word. if it was on tv, maybe i'd give it another chance. but i am a little angry that i spent $5 at blockbuster for it since netflix had a long wait.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Stefen

I understand what your sayingf Taz. but I watched this the other night and I had alot of fun, maybe it was because I could really care less about the people in this movie, but regardless it was a very fun movie in my opinion.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

Were you in a bad mood? I didn't really like it the first time I saw it either, but I had a terrible caffeine-withdrawal-induced-headache at the time, and a second viewing turned me on to it charms.

pete

no big laughs?  the part where they finally got past the audition (not going to spoil it if you haven't seen it) was hilarious.  I just saw this on the airplane, and I dunno why, I always cry at in-flight movies (even the terrible deliverying milo).  this film made me teary, yes it did.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

bonanzataz

i didn't get to that part, pete. i just thought the movie relied too heavily on jack black being able to carry the movie with his typical shtick and it didn't work. why exactly did linklater do this? all of his movies are appealing based on his dialogue. he was just being lazy here and it really shows.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Slick Shoes

I liked it accept for one part: when that kid gets chewed out by his dad in the parking lot and the Jack Black character is there to witness it all. I've seen that scene way too many times. This one brought nothing new to the table.

Stefen

SPOILER................

One thing that bothered me about this movie is at the end when they go to the battle of the bands they are up against Deweys old band, but I didnt even know it until the third time I watched it. They should have made it more evident. that would have been cooler. The end though, does indeed rock.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: taz.i didn't get to that part, pete. i just thought the movie relied too heavily on jack black being able to carry the movie with his typical shtick and it didn't work..

it usually never does w/ black

artfag

Jack Black is the new Bill Murray.  He does a fantastic job playing himself with several different names, but never really strays from just being himself.

dufresne

Quote from: Pictures are PalsJack Black is the new Bill Murray.  He does a fantastic job playing himself with several different names, but never really strays from just being himself.

uhh...that could also be a bad thing.

e.g. Pauly Shore
There are shadows in life, baby.

bluejaytwist

this film should have been called:

'school of my cock'
and had jack black masturbating to a mirror for 1.5hrs
it would have been less subtle, but the same idea

i don't believe i laughed once (except for once or twice at the beginning due to current parallels between blacks band and my own)

golden globe nomition for black for *that* performance???

it cheapens the other worthy nominees of this year, like jamie lee curtis for freaky friday.
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

grand theft sparrow

I gather that not a lot of you are fans of Tenacious D.

bonanzataz

HUGE tenacious d fan. saw them in concert, bought the dvd, the cd. i give and i give and i give to mr. black and he repays me with school of fucking rock...

did kyle make a cameo in this movie?

cine

Quote from: taz.did kyle make a cameo in this movie?
Not that I can recall.