Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Alethia

Interesting. Guess I assumed then bc Beatty and Sebring were pals.

Tdog

Quote from: Drill on August 25, 2020, 04:18:14 PM
Quote from: Tdog on August 25, 2020, 03:23:53 PM
Quote from: Drill on August 25, 2020, 03:20:33 PM
Quote from: mickeywolfman on August 25, 2020, 02:05:20 PM
Quote from: Alma on August 25, 2020, 04:34:20 AM
I remember when the casting description rumours circulated, someone suggested (think it was on here but it might have been somewhere else) that the cutthroat female agent sounded like Sue Mengers, and she was Streisand's agent. I would be surprised if Alana was playing Streisand though, she's not styled like her at all in the picture.

Perhaps Este Haim could play Streisand? They seem to share a closer resemblance/age?

Isn't she six foot tall?

Streisand or Haim. This isn't bassHaim who is the tall one.

I know. I was responding to the Este suggestion.

Quote from: jviness02 on August 25, 2020, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: eward on August 25, 2020, 03:15:19 PM
Quote from: Tdog on August 25, 2020, 02:15:35 PM
He's not the basis for Beatty's character in Shampoo is he?

I think that was Jay Sebring.

I think you're both right. I think Beatty mentioned both of them as influences.

Gene Shacove was the primary influence for Shampoo. There may have been a little of Sebring and Peters there, but Shacove was the main subject.

Sorry I misread you. Tired brain.

Rooty Poots

I wish PTA had hired the guy who did the Tears on my Pillow lettering in that car window to do the title lettering for Phantom Thread.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

jenkins

eh, i'd do it like this:

Tears on my
Pillowcase

Jeremy Blackman

Rooty Poots

Quote from: jenkins on August 25, 2020, 05:04:33 PM
eh, i'd do it like this:

Tears on my
Pillowcase

The point being that the 'Tears on my Pillow' lettering was clearly done by an experienced letterer who confidently knew what they were doing, while Phantom Thread's lettering wasn't. He's usually got such a good eye for this type of stuff; the lettering for Phantom Thread was honestly the weakest part of the whole film for me (I thought it was pretty flawless otherwise!)

If PTA needs anyone to do the title lettering for Soggy Bottom, I'm available!
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Alethia

I like the Phantom Thread lettering...

jenkins

Quote from: Rooty Poots on August 25, 2020, 05:28:44 PM
Quote from: jenkins on August 25, 2020, 05:04:33 PM
eh, i'd do it like this:

Tears on my
Pillowcase

The point being that the 'Tears on my Pillow' lettering was clearly done by an experienced letterer who confidently knew what they were doing, while Phantom Thread's lettering wasn't. He's usually got such a good eye for this type of stuff; the lettering for Phantom Thread was honestly the weakest part of the whole film for me (I thought it was pretty flawless otherwise!)

If PTA needs anyone to do the title lettering for Soggy Bottom, I'm available!

Toots, honey, that wasn't my point at all, you might be stuck on your own topic

Ladchadster Dodd

That "Tears on My Pillow" car definitely belongs to this ese, since Mexican gangs are known for bumping Doo-wop music. I'm happy to see some acknowledgment of Chicano gangs for a film that takes place in L.A.

jenkins

it's cool he's not generalized but tailored. one might say he's tailored to a generalization but there's only so much you can do for a background character you know. his presence presents a feature as indicative of the time and place as the neon park billboard

Find Your Magali

Just caught up on the last 8 pages of the this thread. Fun times, all.

Alethia

Quote from: Drill on August 25, 2020, 02:01:43 AM
Jon Peters, Barbra Streisand's sleazy producer boyfriend in the '70s. Even the necklace looks very similar.

This is now being reported by page six, sans official confirmation from PTA, Cooper, and co.

https://pagesix.com/2020/08/25/is-bradley-coopers-character-in-p-t-andersons-newest-based-on-jon-peters/

Drenk

Karina Longworth retweeted somebody who guessed it.
Ascension.

wilberfan

I'll bet they saw my tweet this morning.

kingfan011

We are apparently very powerful.