Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

pynchonikon

Quote from: kingfan011 on August 11, 2020, 01:22:32 PM
It still cracks me up that out of his three 2010s films he only got nominated for screenplay for Vice but not his more critically admired other two films.

The "weirdness" of his '10s films sure was an important factor.

I can get that the Master's script proved to be too vague for the Academy's tastes (and the failure to communicate with a big audience definitely put the gravestone to the film's award chances) but he was totally robbed the director nomination.

He was also robbed the writing nomination in 2018 for the sake of Big Sick (!), though I can see how giving him again three noms without a win was maybe too much, even for them.

Oscars have indeed lost their reliability (with a few exceptions), but I think of them like the Nobel Prizes; having one doesn't mean much, nevertheless it's always cool to see your work recognized.

jenkins

the Nobel Prize is international. Parasite was a step in the direction of a larger perspective, but overall the Academy simply represents the taste and attitude of contemporary hollywood.  i don't want you PTA fans to start sweating but from a global perspective a hella lot more people than PTA are being left out in terms of who is really bringing it in terms of cinematic possibilities

Drill

kingfan011

Quote from: Drill on August 17, 2020, 07:06:04 PM
Hmm...wonder what that also potentially means for this.
https://twitter.com/_ChristopherM/status/1295466244355874816

I think it means what we figure it means. Either Cooper films his part in PTAs film in December or the films is not shooting this year.

Drill

Or Cooper won't actually be in it.

kingfan011

itwasgood

Cooper had originally got a deal with MGM. He was supposed to be the lead of another European arthouse director's film produced by MGM, but according to the recent interview of the creative team crew, that film didn't come through. Probably Cooper is only a temporary choice MGM put up for the new PTA because of MGM's previous unimplemented deal with Cooper and they're just trying to hook Cooper up with another. Nothing has been decided yet. With Nightmare Alley back on track, they might have to give Cooper up.

Alma

Alethia

Yeah I'm totally okay if Cooper never appears in a PTA movie.

Drill

Quote from: itwasgood on August 18, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
Cooper had originally got a deal with MGM. He was supposed to be the lead of another European arthouse director's film produced by MGM, but according to the recent interview of the creative team crew, that film didn't come through. Probably Cooper is only a temporary choice MGM put up for the new PTA because of MGM's previous unimplemented deal with Cooper and they're just trying to hook Cooper up with another. Nothing has been decided yet. With Nightmare Alley back on track, they might have to give Cooper up.

That's sort of what I had figured. The Nightmare Alley situation may go on even longer than that tweet suggests. Who know what's going on with the Canadian border situation. Also, Rooney Mara is about to give birth to Joaquin's baby. DDL is the only actor I see PTA ever waiting for. No way he'd wait for Cooper, which is why I'm skeptical of that casting rumor.

jenkins

to, shall we say, amplify the context

https://twitter.com/RadioBizNow/status/1263408711386595328

y'all didn't guess that b coops might be done with pta by sep 16. i'm not praying for b coops i'm having a good time

joneal

Is he seriously filming right now? California reached its highest daily cases ever last Wednesday.

jenkins

we're not seriously certain. whatever the case count is it's as serious a problem now as it was in march and will be for an indefinite period. if you follow proper safety precautions you follow proper safety precautions. the nba has them stay in a bubble with each other at a resort

pynchonikon

Now all I'm thinking is who could nail the role of an unrestrained '70s DJ/broadcaster.