Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

kingfan011

Quote from: jviness02 on August 06, 2020, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: Lewton on August 05, 2020, 05:07:55 PM
Quote from: Tdog on August 03, 2020, 03:07:42 PM
Oh you must watch The Mosquito Coast. It's a real one of a kind performance from Harrison Ford, great movie too.

Sounds good. I'm slowly making my way across Weir's filmography and I've been impressed with what I've seen so far.

Quote from: Drill on August 05, 2020, 12:37:36 PM
As far as I know, Cooper isn't yet confirmed for this. Jeremy Renner and James Franco were in talks for The Master, RDJ was in talks for IV, etc.

At first I thought it was confirmed but yeah, it seems Cooper is only "in talks" at this point. A lot could change between now and the actual production. If I recall correctly, Jeremy Renner even sat down to do a table read with PSH for The Master. Then there was a long delay shortly thereafter. It was never clear to me if that delay was because PTA realized Renner wasn't actually the best fit for the part or if the script simply needed to be retooled, or maybe it was a mix of both. 

Speaking of casting, I recently found out two bits of casting trivia that I had missed...well, either missed or forgotten. Robert Pattinson was invited to audition for TWBB and PTA asked Joaquin to be in Boogie Nights.

PTA said in an interview for Phantom Thread that the delay for The Master was because he realized the script wasn't "ready",  but he could also just be saying that to be polite to Renner. It's probably a bit of both. It all worked out. Phoenix owns that movie.

I have a feeling it was about Renner. For years I've heard things about Renner through the grapevine that hes really weird and not in an enjoyable way. I distinctly remember hearing that something happened between him and Adams on Arrival and she absolutely did not want to do press with him. Never heard exactly what the incident was.

Drenk

There was a Jeremy Renner App until there wasn't just recently. He's something.
Ascension.

Tdog

Quote from: kingfan011 on August 06, 2020, 11:15:33 AM
Quote from: jviness02 on August 06, 2020, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: Lewton on August 05, 2020, 05:07:55 PM
Quote from: Tdog on August 03, 2020, 03:07:42 PM
Oh you must watch The Mosquito Coast. It's a real one of a kind performance from Harrison Ford, great movie too.

Sounds good. I'm slowly making my way across Weir's filmography and I've been impressed with what I've seen so far.

Quote from: Drill on August 05, 2020, 12:37:36 PM
As far as I know, Cooper isn't yet confirmed for this. Jeremy Renner and James Franco were in talks for The Master, RDJ was in talks for IV, etc.

At first I thought it was confirmed but yeah, it seems Cooper is only "in talks" at this point. A lot could change between now and the actual production. If I recall correctly, Jeremy Renner even sat down to do a table read with PSH for The Master. Then there was a long delay shortly thereafter. It was never clear to me if that delay was because PTA realized Renner wasn't actually the best fit for the part or if the script simply needed to be retooled, or maybe it was a mix of both. 

Speaking of casting, I recently found out two bits of casting trivia that I had missed...well, either missed or forgotten. Robert Pattinson was invited to audition for TWBB and PTA asked Joaquin to be in Boogie Nights.

PTA said in an interview for Phantom Thread that the delay for The Master was because he realized the script wasn't "ready",  but he could also just be saying that to be polite to Renner. It's probably a bit of both. It all worked out. Phoenix owns that movie.

I have a feeling it was about Renner. For years I've heard things about Renner through the grapevine that hes really weird and not in an enjoyable way. I distinctly remember hearing that something happened between him and Adams on Arrival and she absolutely did not want to do press with him. Never heard exactly what the incident was.

I remember seeing a clip of 2 of the Avengers cast being interviewed on the red carpet (elisabeth olsen was one of them) and Renner kind of snuck up behind them and got between them with his arms wrapped around both of their shoulders with a weird smile on his face. Elisabeth Olsen seemed verrrrry uncomfortable. 

My friend is a P.A and she tells me stories about how actors and production behave on shoots. Some people are just so so strange, they don't know how to behave like a regular humans, it's really odd.

Find Your Magali

Nothing to add other than I just now realized I have a great need to see Mahershala Ali in a PTA film.

ThereWillBeOreos

once more entering this thread and telling people that this chances that this project start in fall is blind optimism

jenkins

sucks you haven't stopped doing that

ThereWillBeOreos

sucks america has handled the covid situation horribly too

kingfan011

Even if the start date is pushed to next year which I would be shocked if it wasn't at least give us one more casting news or verified rumor before the year is up. Please.

nomorecoffee

Anyone else is dying to get to know something more about this?

wilberfan

I'm gonna stay Buddhist on this one.  In the immortal words of Kurt to Jack, "It is what it is...".

It is giving me something to live for, tho... :yabbse-wink: 

[edit]  Wait.  How did this thread get started in 2017?  Pound sand, Nostradamus!

pynchonikon

Quote from: nomorecoffee on August 11, 2020, 11:41:16 AM
Anyone else is dying to get to know something more about this?

Imagine that there are fellas in this thread that are passing through the process of speculating/waiting for Paul's next since the late 90s (me myself since 2013). It's a blessing and it's a curse that your favorite filmmaker is so meticulous, secretive and sparse with his work. Add to that the current pandemic situation and you get the full picture.

Just for the fun of it (not that it matters or anything), though, i expect that if this turns out to be an awards contender, then this will be the time he finally gets what he deserves for so long (the screenplay sounds award-promising, if anything else). How many more nominations will he get by the Academy without being awarded, statistically speaking.

kingfan011

If he ever wins anything it will absolutely be screenplay not director.

It still cracks me up that out of his three 2010s films he only got nominated for screenplay for Vice but not his more critically admired other two films.

jenkins

Green Book won best picture two years ago and yet still somehow this is being talked about as if it's a meaningful indicator of anything

nomorecoffee

Quote from: jenkins on August 11, 2020, 01:43:51 PM
Green Book won best picture two years ago and yet still somehow this is being talked about as if it's a meaningful indicator of anything

good point. Also how he wasn't a nominee for The Master screenplay/directing is beyond me.

Tdog

Quote from: nomorecoffee on August 11, 2020, 02:05:15 PM
Quote from: jenkins on August 11, 2020, 01:43:51 PM

good point. Also how he wasn't a nominee for The Master screenplay/directing is beyond me.

Weinstein self admittedly dropped the ball promoting The Master and the oscar campaign for it.