Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

jenkins

i don't remember the other poster or what that poster said but i do see that wilberfan source checked the twitter person and the twitter person said he read it on a message board and called it reliable but with a grain of salt

jviness02

I completely forgot this takes place in the 1970s. I wonder if that axes someone like Beatty or Nicholson since they were huge stars during the time period? He's mentioned multiple times that he never thought of Burt Reynolds as stunt casting and when everyone started interpreting it as such, it rubbed him the wrong way. He may avoid that all together.

Tdog

PTA has said before he'd like to work with Tom Hanks who I think would be good for the politician role. Brolin would work too although he's done that before in Milk. If PTA wanted to cast against type he could let Joaquin sink his teeth into it, might be interesting to see Joaquin play a more seemingly restrained role.

Freddie Dodd

Quote from: Drill on July 18, 2020, 01:10:48 PM

My guess is the agent will be based on Sue Mengers. Kathy Bates? He clearly loved Lesley Manville, though I haven't seen her do an American accent. I'll be surprised if he ever brings back Julianne Moore. Not that anything happened between them, but by Magnolia they were just on different wavelengths IMO. If it's a different description then JJL is a possibility. Or Maya.

Care to elaborate on the Moore-Anderson dynamic? What made Julianne feel different about the work process that you think wouldn't make her connect with Paul direction?  Nothing indicated they had creative differences.

Drill

Just a hunch. She's said in interviews something to the effect of her struggling to figure out how to play the part which, IMO, is evident on screen. No drama at all, just not the magic of their Boogie Nights collaboration. I think of the "old group", he'd only bring back Reilly, Hall, and Walters (just for a bit part like what was supposed to be in The Master).

pynchonikon

Physically speaking, an actor who would really pull off the director role is Sam fuckin' Elliot.
After several thinking, i could imagine in the role of the agent someone like Annette Bening.
I still can't make up my mind with the politician role.

polkablues

Donald Sutherland as the director, Carrie Coon as the agent, Adam Driver as the politician. Get their agents on the phone, let's get this thing done.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Freddie Dodd

Quote from: Drill on July 19, 2020, 01:26:54 AM
Just a hunch. She's said in interviews something to the effect of her struggling to figure out how to play the part which, IMO, is evident on screen. No drama at all, just not the magic of their Boogie Nights collaboration. I think of the "old group", he'd only bring back Reilly, Hall, and Walters (just for a bit part like what was supposed to be in The Master).

In the making of documentary Moore seemed to find it challenging to play such a broadly character with such an heightened style of acting, as she stated she'll try to underplayed more often than not at that point in her career.  Paul style has changed dramatically that I couldn't picture the more wiser version of himself writing a character who could seem to come out of your daytime soap opera.  Reilly and Anderson have stick to just a three-picture plan, not looking like they'll be back working together.  Hall is not in the best condition of health and if he doesn't have a role in this picture I doubt we'll see him again in a PTA film.

ThereWillBeOreos

Adam Driver as a gay politician is quite interesting.

wilberfan

More on the DeLuca/MGM angle.

QuoteEver since Michael De Luca took the reins of MGM as film group chairman, the studio has become a strong player in Hollywood, outbidding and acquiring many hot properties. MGM's latest acquisition? Paul Thomas Anderson's 1970s San Fernando Valley movie, which MGM scooped up from Focus Features.

This is just the latest big acquisition by MGM, who has added several high-profile projects to their slate since Michael De Luca took reins of the studio earlier this year. Amongst the studios' buzziest projects are "Project Hail Mary" starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, Ridley Scott's "Gucci" starring Lady Gaga, George Miller's "Three Thousand Years of Longing," James Gray's "I Am Pilgrim," and David Robert Mitchell's first superhero movie, "Heroes & Villains."

Tapping high-profile filmmakers seems to be MGM's new strategy, according to MGM motion picture group president, Pamela Abdy (via Variety), saying "If you look at the projects we've been announcing and securing, the one thing in common with all of them is a director at the center who has real authorship."

At a time when many studios seem to be reluctant to spend money due to the pandemic, MGM is outbidding its competitors and quietly building a prestigious release date more akin to A24. Sure, the studio still has its big franchises like "James Bond", "Bill and Ted," and "Candyman," but mixing these with more arthouse projects can make MGM a big player in the industry.

Of course, De Lucas is no stranger to running a studio, as he spent his time at New Line Cinema championing such filmmakers as David Fincher, F. Gary Gray, and Paul Thomas Anderson himself, turning out several highly successful movies. And as a producer, De Luca has earned Best Picture Oscar nominations two years in a row with "The Social Network" and "Moneyball."

Source

Fuzzy Dunlop

Carrie Coon in a PTA movie is something I didn't know I needed until just now.

Drill

Quote from: Freddie Dodd on July 19, 2020, 11:26:05 AM
Quote from: Drill on July 19, 2020, 01:26:54 AM

In the making of documentary Moore seemed to find it challenging to play such a broadly character with such an heightened style of acting, as she stated she'll try to underplayed more often than not at that point in her career.  Paul style has changed dramatically that I couldn't picture the more wiser version of himself writing a character who could seem to come out of your daytime soap opera.  Reilly and Anderson have stick to just a three-picture plan, not looking like they'll be back working together.  Hall is not in the best condition of health and if he doesn't have a role in this picture I doubt we'll see him again in a PTA film.

He and Reilly are still very close. I think it's much more likely he'll be back than Moore. That said, I don't necessarily think any of them will be. He likes to move on to new people. JoAnne Sellar and Mark Bridges are about the only 2 people in PTA's world whose places are secure. I bet, eventually, he'll even move on from Greenwood.

jviness02

The fact that Reilly wasn't in Inherent Vice makes me think they won't work together again. I know they are very close, but I think if working together again was that big of a priority,  PTA would have gotten him in IV. There's plenty of characters in IV that Reilly could have played. His comedic and dramatic experience would have perfect for that film. Also, the general public pretty much just sees Reilly as a comedian now and his attachment in some capacity might have helped sell it. Add to the fact that Reilly and PTA have confirmed that PTA tried to force him into There Will Be Blood and Reilly told him if there's not a part for him, don't worry about it. I think that didn't just mean TWBB, but all of his films.  I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see a reunion, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on July 19, 2020, 04:46:52 PM
JoAnne Sellar and Mark Bridges are about the only 2 people in PTA's world whose places are secure. I bet, eventually, he'll even move on from Greenwood.

Is Mark Bridges the other one who has worked on every single feature so far?  I think Kulukundis (Casting) has been with him since Boogie Nights.  And I think you're probably right about mixing up his actors now.  I suspect he'd continue to work with Hoffman, but { sigh }.   

Shughes

It's hard to imagine him not working with Greenwood now. Maybe if there's scheduling conflict, but even then I feel they could make it work (I think time was an issue for Greenwood and Lynne Ramsay on You Were Never Really Here, and that score is amazing).

I feel like Thom Yorke would be an interesting collaborator. Maybe too obvious a choice after Greenwood. But Anima was great.

Others I'd love to see him work with are Mica Levi, Max Richter, or Nick Cave & Warren Ellis.

Someone mentioned Carrie Coon as speculative casting - that would be incredible! Love the idea of Adam Driver too, and Beatty or Nicholson.

At the same time it may be nobody we expect, but then further down the line we'll be as into those actors as we are his previous collaborators. I'm just glad this thing is moving.