Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffin's sourcesDe Laurentiis Developing The Lecter Variation

blah blah blah

The film, which is being subtitled "The Story Of Young Hannibal Lecter", blah blah blah.

What makes this even more unfortunate than it already is, is the fact that a few months ago Vin Deisel was on the Daily Show telling Jon Stewart about how he was going to play Hannibal in this movie.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateWhat makes this even more unfortunate than it already is, is the fact that a few months ago Vin Deisel was on the Daily Show telling Jon Stewart about how he was going to play Hannibal in this movie.

Wrong Hannibal, RK:

LOS ANGELES -- While making the promotional rounds for his extreme sport action picture XXX, actor Vin Diesel took a moment to talk about his next film role, as famed Carthaginian general Hannibal in the film project of the same name.

“He’s a character I’ve always wanted to play, and not unlike how Mel Gibson wanted to play the Wallace character in Braveheart,” Diesel enthusiastically explains. “He redefined war strategies. He was for the 3rd century B.C. -- for that whole era -- he was the classic underdog. He was the only guy who thought of attacking Rome. And he did it in a shrewd way.”

“I can go on for hours talking about how fascinating he is,” adds Diesel about the legendary general who used elephants to cross the Alps in a bid to bring down the Roman Empire. The red-hot actor will begin shooting the planned epic in the spring of 2003.

Hannibal is based Ross Leckie’s 1996 fictional autobiography that follows Hannibal from his boyhood, to his assaults on Rome, and finally his death on the Greek island of Bithynia. The novel is being adapted for the screen by David (Gladiator) Franzoni.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

You know... that's what I thought he was talking about too.  
Because I was saying to myself "This franchise is going south, but that's a casting choice a sixteen year-old metal head would know better than to make"

I figured it was probably the other Hannibal, but when you posted that and that fact that he said "Young Hannibal" I got frightened.

Still a bad idea though... I already saw this film, it was called The Talented Mr. Ripley.

godardian

I love The Virgin Spring. I like Wes Craven more as a person than I care for any of his films. He seems like a very decent person who's not dumb at all. His movies, on the other hand...

Anyone seen The Changeling? I remember that being pretty well made and effective. Everyone's already mentioned the horror masterpieces (The Shining being one of my absolute favorites, screw Stephen King for dissing it).

Scorsese's Cape Fear.

Carnival of Souls; The Blob; Sisters (mention inspired by a heated exchange on Sisters in the De Palma item). De Palma's horror: In addition to Carrie, Dressed to Kill should be included, esp. if we're going to consider Psycho horror.

Hope I haven't mentioned too many people have already brought up...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Derek237

The Shining, Evil Dead II, and The Fly are the best horror flicks IMO.

oakmanc234

Fave horror flick:

'JAWS'

Others:

'The Exorcist'
'Psycho'
'Child's Play'
'Scream'
'Evil Dead' 1 & 2 ('Army' is fun but it ain't scary)
'The Blair Witch Project'
'Wes Craven's New Nightmare'
'Halloween'
'Alien'
'Poltergeist'
'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre'
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Alethia

that part in suspiria where the girl falls and gets stuck behind all that wire on the floor freaks me out every time i see it.....so does the score

dawn of the dead is fucking genius.

RegularKarate

Quote from: godardian
Anyone seen The Changeling? I remember that being pretty well made and effective.

YES!  I love the Changling... I'm always trying to tell people about this movie, but they never listen... it's very good and very scary and I really have no idea why no one has heard of it.

modage

although this is really more of a comedy than a horror movie has anybody else seen BLOOD DINER?  it came out in the late 80s although it looks like it was made a decade earlier and is pretty silly.  

here is the imdb description...
Two cannibals/health food diner owners are on a wacky quest to restore life to the five million year old goddess Sheetar. Aided by their uncle's brain and penis, the two set about getting the required parts - virgins, assorted body parts from whores, and the ingredients for a "blood buffet". Their adversaries are the police: the chief with a russian accent, the "player" detective, and the new Yorker with an Australian accent.

my personal favorite scene is the running over scene in the van.  the look on his face is priceless.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Anyone seen Paperhouse? I haven't, but I always wanted to. Wonder if it's out on DVD...?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

oakmanc234

'Paperhouse'. Damn, I remember seeing that YEEEEEEEEARS ago, about 2am in the morning on the box. I remember enjoying it but dont remember the film too well. I vaguely remember some girl who draws stuff, whatever she draws comes true (I'm getting shitloads of flashbacks while typing this), she draws a house, it comes true, she draws a picture of her father and then scribbles out the face, next thing you know, he stalks her with a deformed face etc.

Man, that is messed up thinking back to stuff that you haven't thought about AT ALL in years and years..........
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

godardian

Just watched Fiend Without a Face and The Blob last night... you can see my thoughts on them by clicking the "www," but I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen these?

Banky

Barely anyone here has mentoined Scream.  I love horror films and i am not gonna give it unfair criticism just because it was recent.  It reinvinted the genre.  Scream was a great balance of many factors from comedy,to gore, to "whodunit", to suspense, and to homage.  It was a great movie and spanwed a slew of cheesy rip offs just as Halloween did in the 70s.  I honestly can say that Scream is in the top 5 slasher flicks of all time.  Wes Cravens and Kevin Williams best work to date.

Derek237

Yeah Scream was actually really good now that I think about it. So was Scream 2, but definatley not Scream 3 and all the other knock-offs of Scream...

godardian

It was fun to watch, but I don't know if I see it going down in the Horror Canon. We'll have to give it a few years, I think.