Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Alma

I also wouldn't be surprised if he was exaggerating a little to explain why Cannes couldn't get it. In the first tweet he seems to say that they were supposed to get Coen's Macbeth but couldn't because McDormand is filming and won't be available to attend Cannes, which is a bit weird cause it doesn't seem like a big enough reason for it not to go there.

pynchonikon

I'm wondering if that means it's debatable whether he will be in time for Venice (their lineup will be announced on the last week of July, about 8,5 months since the film's wrap). I thought Biennale was always the favorite for this, though this year's competition is expected to be even stronger than Cannes.

NYFF is going to take place in a hybrid format again , and I don't see him being too excited to go there, but then Safdie and Hoffman are NY residents so it's a bit complicated.

Quote from: Alma on June 04, 2021, 02:10:25 PMI also wouldn't be surprised if he was exaggerating a little to explain why Cannes couldn't get it.

That could also be a possible explanation. His comments concerning Netflix were a bit vague, too.

Drill

Maybe he just wants to do the Phantom Thread approach again? First screenings in late October. I'm not convinced he ever really planned on taking PT to festivals, despite him saying otherwise. I could see him being over competing at festivals. He doesn't have much more to win/prove on that front.

Alma

Emily Althaus has been added to the cast in a named role on IMDB, she had a pretty major part in the last few series of Orange is the New Black if anyone watched that.

Shughes

She had a relatively smart part in the Duplass Brother's Togetherness, but she was great in it.

PaulElroy35

Guys i'm putting together a list of late 60s and early 70s songs to get me in the mood for the new film. I just wondered what sort of songs do you think would fit with the movie going off of what we know about it so far.
would be call to get a playlist curated by fans.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Mattbish19 on June 11, 2021, 07:36:21 AM
Guys i'm putting together a list of late 60s and early 70s songs to get me in the mood for the new film. I just wondered what sort of songs do you think would fit with the movie going off of what we know about it so far.

Anything performed by Beach Boys during that period would be a good start, I suppose. The Eagles, obviously. Carly Simon? Stevie Wonder? Lots of possibilities and the selection of needle drops for BN and IV was quite various.

(Have I already mentioned my notion that HAIM have written a couple of originals for this?)

wilberfan

Needle drops are so effective they've almost become a cliche somehow.  I'd love to see what he could do with a nostalgic film like this without needle drops.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: wilberfan on June 11, 2021, 04:12:50 PM
Needle drops are so effective they've almost become a cliche somehow.  I'd love to see what he could do with a nostalgic film like this without needle drops.

I see where your coming from it would be interesting to see if the film has a  score. Though I would love another soundtrack of great needle drop songs.

csage97

I wasn't there in the 70s, but Van Morrison's Moondance is what I hear when I think of it (among others). It makes me think of recording consoles, tape machines, cigarettes, wood-paneled station wagons, brown shaggy carpets, dead-sounding drums, burnt orange and harvest gold colour palettes, no internet.

kingfan011

Quote from: csage97 on June 13, 2021, 06:49:50 PM

I wasn't there in the 70s, but Van Morrison's Moondance is what I hear when I think of it (among others). It makes me think of recording consoles, tape machines, cigarettes, wood-paneled station wagons, brown shaggy carpets, dead-sounding drums, burnt orange and harvest gold colour palettes, no internet.

I love Moondance. In my top ten albums of all time.

wilberfan

I recently re-encountered this story from 2018, and it would not surprise me at all if there are aspects of this script that ended up in Soggy Bottom--in part or in whole.

Paul Thomas Anderson Reveals He's Writing A Script With His Daughter

QuotePaul Thomas Anderson isn't one to divulge what his next project might be. The filmmaker likes to read, research, write, put things away, come back to them — asking him about his next film is a fool's errand, because he probably doesn't quite know himself. However, the director does seem to be entertaining the notion of finally making a movie that his kids — aged 12, 8, 6, and 4 — can watch.

Doing some pre-Oscar press with The Los Angeles Times, Anderson confirmed the story that his son had seen him cutting some promos for "Phantom Thread," and when he noticed it was rated R, complained, "Aaaaw....c'mon!" Well, the director's daughter might forge the path for Anderson to make something more family friendly.

"Well, I'm working right now on a story with my daughter Lucy. She's 8. She has taken it upon herself, realizing that if I wasn't going to do it, she would do it with me. We're trying to hash out something right now. It's a good collaboration too. It keeps you on your toes," he shared. I was trying to guide the story to something a little bit darker, where my instincts wanted to take it, and she was politely, very sweetly reminding me I was aiming it that way and brought it back. We had a good run at it and took a break. We've got to get back to it."

pynchonikon

It's a safe bet this will be rated R as well, I suppose his daughter Pearl who's turning 16 this year will see it and that's it.

I was wondering lately when he will open up about the film for the first time. He gave his first Phantom Thread interview three weeks before the first preview screenings. Or he could just wait to attend the press conference of the festival Soggy Bottom will premiere in.

wilberfan

Quote from: pynchonikon on June 20, 2021, 04:38:43 PM
It's a safe bet this will be rated R

Maybe for language...but I think that would be it.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: wilberfan on June 20, 2021, 08:40:06 PM
Quote from: pynchonikon on June 20, 2021, 04:38:43 PM
It's a safe bet this will be rated R

What about Bradley Cooper dripping in blood?

Maybe for language...but I think that would be it.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco