What shows are you watching?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM

Drenk

Ascension.

Robyn

"John started to send me more shots of bread"
"This is it! This is the show!"

Sleepless

The first two movies in Steve McQueen's Small Axe series are now on Prime. Lover's Rock in particular is phenomenal. Not perfect, but one of the most mesmerizingly joyful films I've seen in a while. Watch it.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

LOVED this show. It's pitched almost as a comedic British X-Files but with ghosts instead of aliens, but it actually has a generous dose of Doctor Who DNA but with lots of swears. It's really fun and a great example of episodic storytelling. I just finished S1 this morning and I'm still on bit of a high from it. Treat yourself and give it a watch.

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alexandro

Quote from: Sleepless on November 30, 2020, 04:57:21 PM
The first two movies in Steve McQueen's Small Axe series are now on Prime. Lover's Rock in particular is phenomenal. Not perfect, but one of the most mesmerizingly joyful films I've seen in a while. Watch it.

Yep, I came here to ask about Small Axe because the first three episodes are so good that they feel like stand alone features, and strong enough to be up for all sorts of awards. I hear Mangrove is even being pushed for Academy consideration. I agree, Lovers Rock IS phenomenal. It turns a party into a levitating experience.

wilberfan

I cannot believe there's a superhero-anything that I would have the slightest interest in watching.  But I'm actually enjoying The Boys, Season 01.  Why did I check it out?  Because of an enthusiastic recommendation from the likes of Quinn Cummings--the now grownup little girl from The Goodbye Girl (1977)--whose Twitter feed can be very clever.

https://youtu.be/06rueu_fh30

The Boys is an irreverent take on what happens when superheroes, who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as Gods, abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It's the powerless against the super powerful as The Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about "The Seven", and their formidable Vought backing.

And, Jesus, this thing can get daaaaark... :shock:

WorldForgot

:shock:

You must have noticed the incessant advertising for that show all over the city the last two years in some capacity?

wilberfan

Nope.  Had a Superhero Block Filter installed in the noggin' quite awhile ago.   But, seriously, it was a surprise to hear you say they've been up for 2 years.   I literally took no notice! 

WorldForgot

Gosh, I'll need to install that at some point -- maybe once James Gunn and Raimi retire.

wilberfan

https://youtu.be/FOZWutV0jwU

The Lady And The Dale explores the story of mysterious entrepreneur Elizabeth Carmichael, a trans woman who rose to prominence when she released a fuel-efficient three-wheeled vehicle during the 1970s gas crisis. The four part docuseries dives deep into the rise and fall of Liz's extraordinary life through fraud, family, identity and the pitfalls of the American Dream.

As a bonus, much of this docu-series takes place in 1974--during a certain gas crisis we've been spending some time thinking about recently.  ;-)

polkablues

This show is like hypnotherapy to me. I could listen to John Lurie speak on any topic for any length of time.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

SEARCH PARTY on HBO.

One of the most addictive television shows I've ever seen. I blew through the first season in the blink of an eye.

For all of the show's odd comedy, Alia Shawkat's performance is subtle and packs a huge punch.

I've been hearing buzz that this show "really goes places" so I'm excited to catch up through Season 4.

WorldForgot

Favorite gag iz still that Can Not Stop Eating Judge.
I adore the cast but didn't like the latest season much.

jenkins

wf keyed me (and the board) in on it and i binged it with another person post-stabbing. it's not an existential type of really goes places it's just fun. i think the introductory part is what's stayed with me the longest