Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

diggler

Quote from: cine on May 04, 2010, 12:27:25 PM
Quote from: ddiggler on May 04, 2010, 11:48:46 AM
Hank and Walt still have a cordial relationship, so the drama from that showdown would still mostly come from Hank's surprise that it was Walt all this time. aside from that, i don't feel like Hank and Walt are emotionally involved with each other enough.

uhh.... but you DO recognize that this show is centered around Hank getting to the bottom of all of this, right? that would mean he would find out that it was Walt behind ALL of this after all, including the threat of his wife being almost killed in a car accident. so presumably, if Hank found this out, he would want Walt dead. period. 

i guess it's kind of self defeating to argue about which "showdown" would be more thrilling. there's no wrong answer (which is a testament to how well they've developed these characters) they really upped the ante in the past few episodes with Hank, and it's true that as soon as Hank finds out that Walt is Heisenberg, he will realize that he was behind the fake phone call regarding his wife. a few weeks ago they were painting Hanks quest to find Heisenberg as an excuse to avoid El Paso, but after the RV incident it's become a much more personal vendetta. i have no doubt in my mind that Hank's showdown with Walt will be chilling stuff. (i'm especially looking forward to Hank and Walt interacting as themselves, as opposed to "nice guy" Walt and "meathead with a heart" Hank)

personally though, the Walt and Jesse stuff just speaks to me more. last night's parking lot scene was visceral insanity, but Walt and Jesse's hospital scenes are what this show is all about for me.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Stefen

I don't think Hanks going to be looking for Heisenberg for a very long time.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jtm

regarding why the cops took so long to get there; i too thought it was kinda strange with all these gun shots going off... but then i thought, and another poster brought it up, it really wasn't that long so it's feasible because the whole thing happened so quick.... but today it struck me, the whole think happened IN THE PARKING LOT OF A POLICE STATION!!"... so yeah, that was a little weak. but a very small gripe considering how outstanding the episode was.

diggler

Quote from: jtm on May 04, 2010, 10:26:24 PMbut today it struck me, the whole think happened IN THE PARKING LOT OF A POLICE STATION!!"...

i thought the same thing too at first, but it was a grocery store or something. hank had flowers in his hand.

tpfkabi

Quote from: ddiggler on May 04, 2010, 11:48:05 PM
Quote from: jtm on May 04, 2010, 10:26:24 PMbut today it struck me, the whole think happened IN THE PARKING LOT OF A POLICE STATION!!"...

i thought the same thing too at first, but it was a grocery store or something. hank had flowers in his hand.

yeah, i didn't really think to hard about it, but subconsciously thought it was a grocery store - maybe the people walking by? don't remember if they actually had anyone carrying bags or pushing carts.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

pretty sure they were outside a gay club.

everyone inside thought they were making out.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

saw it a couple nights ago, wow great episode though not as good as #6 which IMO was the best of the season.

SPIOLERS

i really liked the back lit cinematography for the first 90% of the episode, anyone else notice how all the light seemed to be coming from sources in the background (usually another room or window to outdoors). almost seemed like it was all natural lighting.

i thought the way they brought Walt and Jesse back together (which i saw coming, because they have to make Jesse's character justified being on a Walt centered show) was well written and motivated. i think Aaron Paul's acting was probably the best so far in this episode. i don't think he's an amazing actor, but this episode he showed his chops.

to the speculation on who tipped off hank. i think it's the hispanic/black chicken guy. he did this all in Walt's (and in turn his own) interest.

great episode, though wouldn't be as good as i remember it if it wasn't for the ending. I'm kinda happy those bald guys are outta the show now. they really were the worst, most contrived, element this season. sure they're cool enough, but not cool enough for this show because they set the bar so high. those two guys, their villain archetype I've seen before and it's played out. so good riddance.

really interested to see where it goes from here. hank's pretty much outta the season, two dudes are dead, Jesse and walk back together. a lot of conflict was concluded, I'm eager to see what's next.
the one last hit that spent you...

diggler

Quote from: socketlevel on May 06, 2010, 10:08:48 AM
really interested to see where it goes from here. hank's pretty much outta the season, two dudes are dead, Jesse and walk back together. a lot of conflict was concluded, I'm eager to see what's next.

i think the conflict with the cartel isn't concluded at all. it was just a family vendetta before but now that they're dead (or hospitalized) i doubt the cartel is just going to "let it go"

socketlevel

i thought that was implied. i wasn't suggesting the cartel would let it go or that the story was no longer going to involve them. but that cartel is more of an idea, a big-brother type enemy, then the tangible conflict. obviously they're going to keep up the threat and act as antagonist. however, what I meant is how will this manifest. the direct, shown, drama has been 80% concluded. they'll have to create more characters to fatten the show up with conflict on an intimate level.

I Love a Magician

i really doubt hank's out of the season

Stefen

to the speculation on who tipped off hank. i think it's the hispanic/black chicken guy. he did this all in Walt's (and in turn his own) interest.

See, I don't understand why he would tip Hank off. He was the one who gave the twins Hanks name in the first place. If anything, he would want Hank dead since it's one less think Walt and Jesse would have to worry about. He has no reason to want Hank alive.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

good point. however the two brothers were loose cannons, maybe he thought hank could take them... but that's a stretch, ya i think you're right stefen.

socketlevel

Quote from: I Love a Magician on May 06, 2010, 12:32:06 PM
i really doubt hank's out of the season

right but he was shot like 4-5 times, his role in the season is dramatically diminished as a physical threat.

Fernando

Quote from: Stefen on May 06, 2010, 12:37:19 PM

See, I don't understand why he would tip Hank off. He was the one who gave the twins Hanks name in the first place. If anything, he would want Hank dead since it's one less think Walt and Jesse would have to worry about. He has no reason to want Hank alive.

I don't see who else could have known, maybe that lawyer's tough guy? but I don't think so, remember that in the opening of this episode we see the twin's uncle talking about the "chicken man" and how you can't trust a southamerican, to me that's clear that he's referring to gus, and so it leads to gus ratting out the twins thus confirming he can't be trusted. further more, those creepy fucks have been a pain in the ass to gus too, showing at his fast food place and freaking out everyone there, I think he understands that even if they took out hank they eventually will want walt, and then who knows what else.

anyway, that's my theory.

diggler

i saw it as a win win for Gus. he sends the annoying twins after a DEA agent. they're two thorns in his side, if either one winds up dead, it's good for Gus. the beautiful thing about the situation now is that Gus can have his cake and eat it too. one twin is dead, the other nearly dead, and a DEA agent is in the hospital. i'm pretty certain the DEA can figure out that the twins were working for the mexican cartel, which will take all of the heat off of Gus and Heisenberg for the time being. the cartel can't get upset with Gus either because he can chalk the whole incident up to incompetent assassins.