Sun without flare

Started by Jake_82, August 18, 2003, 11:54:15 AM

Jake_82

Does anyone know if it's possible to shoot the sun on a DV camera without just getting a bunch of glare? Like those close ups of the sun setting you always see in the movies and crap. Do you use a filter or something?
your reality is at the end of your dream

Jeremy Blackman

It's really easy to screw up your lens by shooting the sun for more than a second or two (I did it once on a cheap camera... permanent glare). So definitely get a sun filter.

Ghostboy

A real heavy neutral density filter, plus an ultraviolet filter for safety, should do the trick. But yeah, don't let it last too long...

Link

Dude, then how'd they do it in Lion King?   :wink:

metroshane

We were always told the sun will eat your ccd chips in a heartbeat.  We'd get spanked for letting the camera tilt toward the lights.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Cecil

i tried to film the sun with the schools camera once, shot it for several minutes but couldnt get anything good because it was too bright. the camera was fine afterwards. it mustve been a festivus miracle

Alethia

Quote from: LinkDude, then how'd they do it in Lion King?   :wink:

a question that has burned me since it's release.

mindfuck

Rumor has it Eisner has a few favors owed by God so they just got Him to turn down the sun a bit for those shots.

mutinyco

You avoid lens flares by being careful where you place your camera in relation to your light source. It's not rocket science.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe