Jump Cut? im Confused.

Started by prophet, July 17, 2003, 09:28:42 PM

prophet

Does jump cut mean: 'A' is in the building then he starts to walk towards the door and then cut to: him in his car driving. is that a jump cut? can someone give me a few examples in movies?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Ghostboy

It's a fast, unprecedented cut. But don't take my word for it -- let me pull out my film dictionary for the official definition:

"A cut between two shots that seems abrupt and calls attention to itself because of some obvious jump in time or space. An undesired jump cut is caused by poor editing, but at times the cut is consciously made for some desired effect."

prophet

i still dont get it i need an example from a movie :)
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

prophet

wait is it like if someone is about to get shot: cut to : kids playing?

Ghostboy

A great example would be the scene in The Shining where Danny is looking in the mirror before they go to the Overlook, and has visions of what has happened there. Kubrick uses jump cuts throughout the movie to communicate the concept of extra-sensory perception.

prophet

what did (OC) mean i forget

Ghostboy

What do you mean?

Sometimes a parenthetical OC will precede dialogue to specify if it's coming from Off Camera (although I think OS, for Off Screen, is more prevalent).  Is that what you're talking about?

prophet

yes thanks i remember it was something like that. just like VO is voice over .

mutinyco

Ghosty don't reply anymore. Just let this one die. It's painful. :)
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

Quote from: propheti still dont get it i need an example from a movie :)

In "Requiem For A Dream", all the quick cuts of the extreme close-ups of the drugs and the drug taking, etc. would be jump cuts.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

prophet

Pubrick

so, prophet, how old are u?
under the paving stones.

Cecil

what the hell are you people talking about?

a jump cut is when an amount of time has been removed from a shot. example: a guy walks out of his apt and gets into his car, starts it, and drives away. this is done in one shot. in the editing, you remove pieces from this shot by, lets say, removing his trip to the car, so it would start with the guy comming out of the building then it cuts to him allready in the car because the part of him walking to it has been removed. therefore making a jump in time.

check out "a bout de souffle" or any new wave film. or music videos, they have tons of those.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedwhat the hell are you people talking about?

a jump cut is when an amount of time has been removed from a shot. example: a guy walks out of his apt and gets into his car, starts it, and drives away. this is done in one shot. in the editing, you remove pieces from this shot by, lets say, removing his trip to the car, so it would start with the guy comming out of the building then it cuts to him allready in the car because the part of him walking to it has been removed. therefore making a jump in time.

check out "a bout de souffle" or any new wave film. or music videos, they have tons of those.

well put.

prophet

isnt that kinda what i said ? " 'A' is in the building then he starts to walk towards the door and then cut to: him in his car driving."