What's In Your DVD Player?

Started by cine, April 26, 2004, 07:29:53 PM

ono

Recently, Futurama Vol. 1.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThenHow can you be anti-jazz?!!!!

Unless you've never heard good jazz, and think that Kenny G smooth-jazz shit is what it is...
Trust me, he knows what good jazz is and doesn't like it.  :!:

SHAFTR

Quote from: rustinglassitalian for beginners

how is this?  I saw Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself and loved it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Alethia

the fog

john carpenter's just total knack for cinema makes up for the pretty shitty script...he's way too often attached to movies that he's too good for, a shame really.

but anyways, its a fun lil movie...

SHAFTR

in the past 24 hours:
The French Connection
The King of Marvin Gardens
Serpico
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SoNowThenHow can you be anti-jazz?!!!!

Unless you've never heard good jazz, and think that Kenny G smooth-jazz shit is what it is...
Trust me, he knows what good jazz is and doesn't like it.  :!:

I really enjoy jazzy pop tunes the likes of which you hear in Woody Allen... the Annie Ross, etc. The guitar bits in Sweet and Lowdown were lovely. I don't like that pseudo-bohemian free-jazz stuff, for much the same reason I'm very underwhelmed by latter-day Radiohead. Or poetry slams. Needless complication and undeserved earnestness.

And since I find that people who talk about "jazz" as a genre or topic of discussion are talking about that record-store-clerk stuff and are likely to look down on the kind of jazz I like, my ears tend to glaze over when it's brought up.  :)  I much prefer things like Chopin and Mahler for my non-pop listening.

I've got the new Criterion Ozu disc in my DVD player, by the way (just so this doesn't become exclusively the Godardian is Anti-Jazz Thread).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ravi

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

rustinglass

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: rustinglassitalian for beginners

how is this?  I saw Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself and loved it.

its good, it has a nice script, good characters and everything. I like it because it makes a nice contrast with all the other dogme films I've seen, because it's an uplifting romantic comedy, but don't expect it to be like briget jones or those other british comedies, it's very different from that. I heard the american audience didn't like this film very much, I guess it's because there are some very good subtle jokes about football, italian cars and so on that european people might recognize those jokes from their own lives and that, for me, make the film.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianI don't like that pseudo-bohemian free-jazz stuff, for much the same reason I'm very underwhelmed by latter-day Radiohead.
:boxing:

What an unfortunate combination! I shall now make it my life's goal to make you appreciate "Life in a Glass House."

I'm personally underwhelmed by formulaic jazz, which is why I don't like blues much.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

The first movie in the Qatsi trilogy was in my dvd player. But then I put Band Of Outsiders in to watch the Karina interview.

Godardian and Cronopio: if you should find yourself wanting to try jazz, I would steer you toward the following albums. My Favorite Things, A Love Supreme by Coltrane. Kind of Blue, Someday My Prince Will Come, Sketches Of Spain by Miles Davis. The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady by Charlie Mingus. Moanin' by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Time Out by Dave Brubeck.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine