Miscellaneous trailers

Started by Mel, August 05, 2014, 07:21:23 AM

polkablues

Quote from: O3 on September 06, 2014, 05:31:38 PM
as you read this, i want you to know that i am genuinely not trying to be argumentative or "shit-starting", but this confuses me. how is the contributions to this thread any different than the recommendations i was doing in the 'movies i'd never heard of' thread?

all of these seem to be pretty random, but good quality, and the descriptions are taken from different online sources instead of written by the user. ...which was the main critique of the posts i made upon my return, even suggested that i was 'making fun of the site'. so, i'm not trying to be an asshole, obviously i've been very quiet lately, but what is the difference between this thread and what i was doing that received hating?

I didn't have any problem with what you were posting in that thread, personally. I think there may have just been some over-sensitivity at that point in time which led to misinterpretation of intention.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Agreed. I think it's that your picks were obscure and random enough to be potential trolling, and since you weren't saying much else, people thought you might be hostile and one's interpretation could go either way. Since it was kind of 50/50 I didn't say anything. I think it's clear now that you weren't trolling though.

jenkins

dinosaur movie from the country of australia, so kinda like a regional doc maybe

Mel

(Horror)
Incensed by the tabloid culture which celebrates it, the L.A. Slasher publicly abducts a series of reality TV stars, while the media and general public in turn begin to question if society is better off without them. A biting, social satire about reality TV and the glorification of people who are famous for simply being famous, "L.A. Slasher" explores why it has become acceptable and even admirable for people to become influential and wealthy based on no merit or talent - purely through notoriety achieved through shameful behavior.

(Drama)
Sara, a girl being home-schooled on a goat farm alongside her 11 siblings, finds her devout values challenged after she meets Colby, an amateur bull rider.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

max from fearless

Here are some trailers for some movies I've seen at work, during press screenings:

Self Made (Drama)
Directed by Shira Geffen and starring Sarah Adler and Samira Saraya. Telling the story of two women: one Israeli, the other Palestinian - who are trapped within their respective worlds. After a mix-up at a checkpoint, they find themselves living the life of the other on the opposite side of the border.

In Darkness We Fall
(Horror)
Directed by Alfredo Montero. Found footage, Spanish horror movie with a juicy feminist twist (and a bad trailer) actually quite fun, this one. 80mins and entertaining throughout.

Métamorphoses (Drama)
Directed by Christophe Honoré. Greek gods and other characters from the myths, walk among humans and wreck havoc.

jenkins

would you call métamorphoses solid? or so-so? i'm building my trust system with honoré

max from fearless

Overall, I'd call it lukewarm, to be honest. It has some beautiful images and passages. But overall, I felt it was trying a bit too hard but in the wrong places. (like the music) It's split into various different stories and some are clearly much stronger than others. I think that once I caught wind of the movie's premise, I expected much more than what I got. But there are some cool ideas here, and the execution is interesting, so it's definitely worth a watch...

Mel

(Crime Movie)
A first time drug mule is caught by law enforcement.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

max from fearless

More trailers from films I've seen at work:

Dear White People (Comedy)
Dir/Wri: Justin Simien. The lives of four black students at an Ivy League college converge after controversy breaks out due to the ill-conceived theme of the campus humor magazine's annual Halloween party.

Dukhtar (Thriller)
Dukhtar (English: Daughter, Urdu:دختر، بیٹی) is a 2014 Pakistani drama-thriller film directed by Afia Nathaniel. The film stars Samiya Mumtaz, Mohib Mirza, Saleha Aref, Asif Khan, Ajab Gul and Samina Ahmad. The film is about a mother and a ten-year-old daughter, who runaway from their home to save the girl from an arranged marriage to a tribal leader.

Queen and Country (Drama)
Dir: John Boorman. An Englishman who grew up in London during World War II joins the military to fight in the Korean War. Starring: Callum Turner, Vanessa Kirby, David Thewlis, Richard E. Grant and Caleb Landry Jones.

Nas: Time is Illmatic (Music Doc)
Dir: One9. Time Is Illmatic is a feature length documentary film that delves deep into the making of Nas' 1994 debut album, Illmatic, and the social conditions that influenced its creation. Twenty years after its release, Illmatic has become a hip-hop benchmark that encapsulates the socio-political outlook, enduring spirit, and collective angst of a generation of young black men searching for their voice in America.

Charlie's Country (Drama)
Charlie's Country is a 2013 Australian drama film directed by Rolf de Heer. It was selected to compete in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2014 Cannes Film Festiva where David Gulpilil won the award for Best Actor. Written by Rolf de Heer and David Gulpilil as a collaborative project, CHARLIE'S COUNTRY stars Gulpilil as blackfella Charlie, who is getting older, and is out of sorts. The government's intervention is making life more difficult on his remote community, what with the proper policing of whitefella laws that don't generally make much sense, and Charlie's kin seeming more interested in going along with things than doing anything about it. So Charlie takes off, to live the old way, but in doing so sets off a chain of events in his life that has him return to his community chastened, and somewhat the wiser.

Silk Stockings (Musical) is a 1957 Metrocolor Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer CinemaScope musical film adaptation of the 1955 stage musical of the same name, which itself was a remake of Ninotchka. It was directed by Rouben Mamoulian and starred Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse. The supporting cast included Janis Paige, Peter Lorre, Jules Munshin, and George Tobias repeating his Broadway role.

Devils on the Doorstep (Drama/Comedy/War)
Devils on the Doorstep is a 2000 Chinese black comedy film directed, co-written and produced by Jiang Wen, starring Jiang himself, Kagawa Teruyuki, Yuan Ding and Jiang Hongbo.

max from fearless

Tokyo Tribe (Gangs/Rap musical/Sion Sono madness)

Tokyo. A multitude of tribes exist, with resident youth ruling the streets through violence while protecting their own turf. Shibuya Saru, Shinjuku Hands, Kabuki GiraGira Girls, Musashino Saru and... Bukuro Wu-Ronz. Until now, crossing territorial lines has led to riots and rumbles.

In Bukuro, Big Buppa (Big Daddy), his son Nkoi and Wu-Ronz leader Mera have local politicians in their pockets, taking control of the neighbourhood while expanding their power. Even within tribal rivalries, Mera holds a particular grudge against Musashino Saru.

One day, Tokyo Tribe's lead character Kai, a Musashino Saru member, enters Bukuro turf with fellow gang member Hasheem and Musashino Saru leader Tera to help out their abducted comrade, Kim. There, Kai meets a mysterious girl named Sunmi.

Kai and Mera face off.

Why does Mera regard Kai with such hostility?

What is Sunmi's true identity?

Who is the 'Archbishop' that Big Daddy's crew revere?

The tribes are on the verge of exploding. Tonight, Tokyo is about to be enveloped in a battle that must be seen to be believed...

jenkins

manos sucias

the blue wave

wild tales

thou wast mild and lovely

a hard day

jenkins

N [23|Feb 09:17 AM]:   So, going to the premier of that movie based on that book my granddad wrote on the 30th of march.
N [23|Feb 09:18 AM]:   

<3

jenkins

1:24 - 1:50, mainly, because that's what up