PTA introduces Criterion's The Earrings of Madame de . . .

Started by edison, July 08, 2008, 06:51:25 PM

edison

This new addition, among a few other, has just been updated on the criterion site.

Gold Trumpet

Interesting. PTA is a very awkward talker to me so I hope this isn't too bad, but I wonder if this means a relationship between Criterion and PTA? Directors have built bridges with the company by first appearing on DVD's like this. Miramax now has a working relationship with Criterion so once their current edition of There Will be Blood loses all financial muscle then Criterion could jump in for a super special edition. While There Will be Blood was already two disc, it didn't seem like a complete working of the film.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on July 09, 2008, 09:32:20 AM
Interesting. PTA is a very awkward talker to me so I hope this isn't too bad, but I wonder if this means a relationship between Criterion and PTA? Directors have built bridges with the company by first appearing on DVD's like this. Miramax now has a working relationship with Criterion so once their current edition of There Will be Blood loses all financial muscle then Criterion could jump in for a super special edition. While There Will be Blood was already two disc, it didn't seem like a complete working of the film.

Plus there's that Lynch making of we're all dying to see...
Si

Alexandro

there will be blood is miramax? i thought it was paramount vantage...or the dvd is a miramax release?

Gittes

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on July 09, 2008, 09:32:20 AM
Miramax now has a working relationship with Criterion so once their current edition of There Will be Blood loses all financial muscle then Criterion could jump in for a super special edition. While There Will be Blood was already two disc, it didn't seem like a complete working of the film.

That would be really great... but somehow, I don't see it happening.

Gold Trumpet

If rights stayed with Miramax, I'm certain we would have seen a There Will Be Blood Criterion edition in the next 5 years or so. But since Miramax has folded and rights are up in the air, it's less certain. The reason to believe films like Blood will get re-released by Criterion is because Criterion is the boutique label of choice and only way a film like Blood can get any more real money on DVD or blu ray.

P Heat

When i saw that P.T's commentary was available on Hulu plus I couldn't resist :yabbse-grin:  so i watched it last night.

contrary to an old post above me, he isn't an awkward talker in this and gives a very passionate insight to this film and how it influenced a lot of his work. One detail i'll give away is that basically Sam Fuller made him go and search out this film and the other works of Max Ophüls.

Really wish he could do more commentary's for criterion (maybe for Wise Blood :yabbse-grin:), or anything else for that matter. he was great.

Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Stefen

I love when he mentions how you can try and move the camera as well as you want but you're only as good as your camera operator and dolly grip. I wonder if PTA has used the same camera operators and dolly grips on all his films? His films all have a very distinct look and I wonder how important small people like them are to it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

Incidentally, I think Brad The Bartender was also the dolly grip on Magnolia.