Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

tpfkabi

Fairly recently I have come across a kind of Criterion YouTube community. Many people make videos showing their collection, or even things like showing what they found during the recent B&N sale. Does anyone here do anything like that?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reel

it seems like all they do in " I just bought.." haven't seen any videos though..

Alexandro

Pubrick

I guess the criterion cover designers just gave up when they realised their covers would be ruined anyway not just by awkward C which could at least adopt the colour scheme of the image but now the blu ray dot of deah.. it explains why blu ray covers are especially poo.

This time you've got the awkward C embedded in one juror's skull and the last juror is now played by the BRDoD.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Have you ever bought a Criterion blu-ray? The blu-ray dot of death is just a sticker on the factory wrapper.

Finally Three Colours is announced.  I hope it coincides with a Barnes & Noble sale. They usually have another one in November, right?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Never got one as there's nowhere to get them cheap including shipping to oz.

And yeah I'm only talking about these official images.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

they should do Network over 12 angry men.
the one last hit that spent you...

squints

I'd actually like that 12 angry men cover as a poster in my room, only without the penetrating C and blu-ray face mask
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Oh, they're upgrading Rushmore to blu-ray, too.

This is good news because there are two films I really want to revisit but refuse to until they are on blu-ray and Rushmore is one of them. Punch-Drunk Love is the other.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: socketlevel on August 15, 2011, 08:01:06 PM
they should do Network over 12 angry men.

I doubt they picked one over the other.

Reinhold

i can't wait for the rules of the game blu ray. long overdue. another meh cover though.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Ravi

I know that Rules of the Game is a satire but this new cover makes it look like a madcap British comedy.

Stefen

So what's everyone going to pick up during this sale?

I'll go with The Killing, Three Colours trilogy and Rushmore for sure. Thinking about upgrading Dazed & Confused.

john

I think you're out of luck on Rushmore. Sale ends one day short of it's release.

Definitely gonna pick up Le Cousins, Le Beau Serge, Dazed, and Island of Lost Souls after work. Probably Leningrad Cowboys, as well. The last Ari Kaurismaki set they released, I purchased sight unseen and it's been one of the best Criterion gambles I've taken. If I enjoy this one even half as much, it'll be worth it.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

Quote from: john on November 01, 2011, 06:08:23 PM
I think you're out of luck on Rushmore. Sale ends one day short of it's release.

Crap. You're right. CriterionCast said on Twitter that the sale ends on the 22nd (the day Rushmore comes out)http://twitter.com/#!/CriterionCast/status/131064100846452737 but apparently it ends on the 21st.  :yabbse-angry: